Lease extension - Section 61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease extension - Section 61

I am in the process of extending my lease. I have not yet owned my flat for 2 years, so cannot proceed under section 42. I wanted to get it done as soon as possible though as my lease now has less than 70 years remaining. I bought it for £209k in August 2011 and the lease commenced in June 1983.

I engaged with the Freeholder and they undertook a valuation which stated it would be £12630 for a 90 year extension to the lease. As we could only proceed under a contractual route, I offered £6315 for a 45 year extension to the lease. At first they said they had never proceeded this way, but checked with their solicitors and they agreed to my offer.

The draft new lease has come back to my solicitor as a new lease of 144 years commencing from 1983, with all the terms of the previous lease, including ground rent still peppercorn, and just a couple of amendments. However, they have included a clause to have the right to terminate the lease in 2082 under section 61 of the 1993 act.

I have a few questions if anyone can help?

1) This is really off-putting as I feel as if it makes my lease still only 99 years in effect, is this true?

2) as we are not proceeding under section 42, I haven't served notice, and it is just contractual negotiations, do they have the right to add this clause?

3) is this clause normally added to lease extensions?

4) Am I getting a good deal with/without this clause added? and should I proceed with this clause added?

thanks very much for any help or input.

1 and 3 no as the right exists in law for a statutory extensions if not in the new lease. They are seeking to preserve that in a negotiated lease and compensation is available in any event. The Court will determine the right to terminate and compensation due.

2 see above

4 it doesnt really affect price.

I am confused by the 144 years unless they are trying to keep a leases to a start date of 1983

I would plump for 125 years from now with the clause in 2082, and if you pan to leave in the next few years abandon a peppercorn and pay a GR of £100 to £400 which reduces the premium.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
      1 and 3 no as the right exists in law for a statutory extensions if not in the new lease. They are seeking to preserve that in a negotiated lease
      Thanks very much for the reply. So if I waited till I had owned it 2 years and took the statutory route, they could add this clause anyway, at which point I would have to pay more for the 90 year statutory extension.

The lease would be 144 years as it is 45 years on top of the current 99 year lease (lease ending 2127) - keeping start date at 1983. 125 years from now would be 2138 so only 11 years extra. Would that make much difference?

Comment

well its as posted the clause is not inserted into a statutory extension, but that the legal right arises to seek possession at the end of the original term for redevelopment.

A 144 or 125 lease makes no real difference.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Someone else had the same concerns:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...61-of-1993-Act

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freehold confusion
              by CStevens
              The property should be registered so the land registry should hold a copy of the leases. You would need to look at the leases to see who is responsible for what but normally in a maisonette situation the freeholder would insure and maintain the structure, foundation and roof with the leaseholders paying...
              27-05-2022, 21:58 PM
            • Freehold confusion
              by davetg
              30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
              24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
              by CStevens
              Yeah i guess i would agree with that but, as you say, the value is only to the leaseholders and a freehold subject to 999 years is not worth a great deal of money to anyone other than the occupants and in fact, if the leases are drafted correctly, they should require the leaseholders to become members...
              27-05-2022, 21:52 PM
            • 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
              by Flashback1966
              I am a Freeholder. Have a flat there too. I have received an email from the leaseholder's soclitors acting for Mr A. They are doing a 2-1 transfer from the names of Mr A and Ms B to just Mr.

The solicitors want to know the requirements on completion.

Is is just a notice of...
              26-05-2022, 18:46 PM
            • Reply to 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
              by Gordon999
              I suggest you reply to leaseholder's solicitor and request a copy of the land registry title to confirm the name of new leaseholder plus £15 registration fee....
              27-05-2022, 18:05 PM
              by davetg
              Thanks for the replies:-
              My friend is alive and well and shows up on google as he is very high up in a big American telecoms company so I should be able to get back in touch.

I can't see my friend having any problem with the TR1 me replacing him on the freehold was always what was...
              27-05-2022, 16:50 PM
            • Section 20 costs
              by lampshade
              Having been issued with a section20 that requires a lot of expensive works to common area doors and the like, I am wondering what the situation is regarding an increase in quotations already given.
              Materials prices are rising fast and we have no idea when the works will start so given that we...
              18-11-2021, 06:32 AM
            • Reply to Section 20 costs
              by lampshade
              It occurs to me and others that there us no responsible person. How can work so important be neglected for over 2 years and all thagt has happened is that leaseholders have been made to pay £000s each, for work that has not been carried out....

I and other leaseholders, are pretty...
              27-05-2022, 13:06 PM
            • Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
              20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
            • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              Since we have no reconciliation accounts, and the old managing agent didn’t pass on any account or funds to us, we have no way of knowing whether the debt was wiped with the sale of the freehold which I suspect it was. Sadly I don’t think it seems there is any way tl
              find this info out?...
              27-05-2022, 11:14 AM
            Working...
            X