Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ground rent management software

Hi,

Im new on this forum having purchased a few ground rents for investment purposes.

I have a problem now in finding a good software that makes management of ground rent easy.

I have seen many of the software options online, but they are for AST's, estate agents .etc.

Nothing for freehold owners.
    Can someone recommend something that is not too expensive as I have only purchased 3 freeholds so far.

just do your own on excel or access, or the freeware alternatives in open office or libreoffice.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I am looking to expand within the year, if my portfolio was bigger what software would you recommend with this purpose?

That automatically creates rent invoices .etc

Comment

Even if you get into the early 0,000s a DB system is easily crafted in an afternoon. Even fully automated requires you to manually ask it to, as all a DB system is extract information that you enter into it, and put into a word document for the bill.

Bluntly when you enter in the information, it is as quick to enter that into a word template for the invoice, and issue those as required, all you do is re date it every period. The only advantage is then automated reports, which if the ledger is in excel you can to with charts and bars, ) or with access it does it all at the same time) or add on bank account links which automatically update the ledger- that's expensive.

Seriously it's no more work to do it this way.

If you go shopping for ground rent and service charge systems you'll find yourself with ground rent software but you are looking at 4 figures and up, or find a software company that will build you something.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I've been wondering the same thing as the OP.

I am pretty good on Excel, so I'd have no problem building a workbook myself (I've done a very good job with the one for the AST's).

The only problem is, I don't know enough about ground rent investments to know how a workbook for this type of work should be structured.

LHA, can you give us noobs a few useful pointers?

Comment

If you have an AST system then all you are doing is altering the rent and period due, and put in longer review dates.

If you are in 100's Access or the free alternatives are good,as, as you will see on commercial systems the data entry is as laborious and the filtering and application into the reports and invoices relatively simple.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/ac...005187442.aspx
            or buy a dummies guide.

Start with one block of say 5 and try it. After that its just a case of adding more records

Comment

Aaaargh, ACCESS!!

I am a wizard on Excel, but I never bothered to learn Access!

Comment

Try this

http://www.quackit.com/microsoft_access/tutorial/

or this with importing information already in Excel

trick is to read the office guidance to work out what you want, then try the above with say five properties and play around.

Our retirement portfolio runs on this (2003) version while our business is on a custom system developed from Access and runs over " a lot" of units, resi commercial and ASTs. It makes integration into word and excel very very easy for reports.

Comment

Oh, WOW, thanks LHA. That site looks just like the thing I need!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Grounds rents to be reduced to zero? That'll do nicely
                    MrSoffit
                    Government due to announce major overhaul of leasehold tomorrow. Read here...

http://www.leaseholdknowledge.com/go...rents-low-zero

At last.

Edit: Article now in Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...w-build-houses...
                    24-07-2017, 22:42 PM
                  • Reply to Grounds rents to be reduced to zero? That'll do nicely
                    PJackson
                    Easy enough. They just make a law that overrides the contract. Many such laws already exist, such as the law about unfair terms.
                    They could rule that terms that cause the ground rent to grow at a high fixed rate are unfair (which they are) and limit them to the equivalent of say 3% per year. So...
                    27-07-2017, 10:58 AM
                  • Leakage dispute
                    ozdemirozgur
                    Hi,

I have an issue with the other freeholder (we are 3 freeholders of a converted house into 3 flats) about a leak. There is intermittent leaks to downstairs kitchen from my bathroom. both mine one and downstairs flat are rented properties. A few weeks back husband of the downstairs flat...
                    26-07-2017, 14:51 PM
                  • Reply to Leakage dispute
                    MrShed
                    I would get someone independent though rather than him, theres too much of a conflict there. Apart from anything else (and I say this without seeing the specifics) £500 for the work you describe is astronomical IMHO.
                    27-07-2017, 07:45 AM
                    AndrewDod
                    ... and arguably if there is water flooding into his flat from yours he does have every right to switch the water off, since he will assume that that you are going to have an emergency plumber in there the next day -- and that this plumber will strip your bathroom fittings out until the cause is found....
                    26-07-2017, 23:12 PM
                    AndrewDod
                    Intermittent leaks...... Sounds as if you are being bloody negligent, and then have the gall to be getting angry. GET IT SORTED NOW. Get a good plumber and pay as much as you need to pay, whether it is £200 or £5000 -- If and only if you discover it is coming from a common pipe, then it is a common...
                    26-07-2017, 23:02 PM
                  • FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
                    Farrella
                    First Tier Tribunal refuses permission to appeal their decision for the correct ("reasonable") service charge payable by leaseholder. But leaseholder still refuses to pay service charge and wants to go to court (or Upper Tribunal). Is the FTT useless at enforcing service charge payment?...
                    26-07-2017, 16:11 PM
                  • Reply to FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
                    Farrella
                    Yes I am the landlord, and the leaseholder was the one who took us to FTT after I served notice on non-payment of service charge. Unfortunately for him, the tribunal ruled that most charges were reasonable. Then he appealed and the tribunal refused him permission to appeal.

Now he says...
                    26-07-2017, 18:04 PM
                  • Reply to FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
                    MrSoffit
                    Hi, presume you as landlord took defaulter to FTT and won? And defaulter was denied right of appeal?

Don't understand how defaulter still wants to go to UT? Is he/she asking the UT to allow an appeal over the FTT? Do you know the point of law?

Regroup:

Are you...
                    26-07-2017, 17:09 PM
                    nukecad
                    From experience with benefit appeals.

The FTT can refuse permission to pass on your appeal to the Upper Tier, but that does not stop you appealing to the UTT yourself.
                    (Yes it seems strange).

You can only appeal to the UTT on an 'error of law' and not on an 'error of...
                    26-07-2017, 17:06 PM
                  Working...
                  X