• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


    Dear Forum members

    Any advice would be very much appreciated, in the past we have done some building in our flat and dont know if i should asked for consent from the freeholder?
    i have checked my lease and the only thing i can find is the following

    ""The lessee shall not make any structural alterations or structural
    additions to the demised premises nor erect any new buildings thereon or remove any of the landlord fixtures and fittings with the previous consent in writing""

    no internal structural walls have been touch, but moved the layout of the
    internal partition walls to move the kitchen to create a bedroom and make a smaller bathroom.

    if i should have asked consent where do i go from here , as i am looking to sell in the near future?

    As the kitchen and bathroom are landlords fixtures ( yes I know you bought the flat,m but they are) you carried out alterations which needed consent not to n#mention building regs approvals for alterations to services and any relevant certification to electrical and gas alterations.

    Moreover if the lease is specific in the layout, and a landlord can argue its implicit that it should not be altered as, at the end of the lease, it should be returned as originally "sold", that a change of layout also needs consent.

    If there is plan in the lease that will flag up an issue to a buyer or lender who will want it altered before competing.

    Put together a simple sketch and photos gather your documentation and apply for retrospective consent. You will be responsible for the landlords legal and professional fees.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.


    Latest Activity