How much should we pay for our freehold?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should we pay for our freehold?

Can anyone help with an idea of cost for our freehold? Its a converted house with five flats (we own flat one and two), and flat five is the freeholder, flats three and four are other tenants. The lease was 999 years in 1966, and the ground rent per flat is 100. I would say the flats are around 200k each
    in value, but they probably vary a bit.

The freeholder is saying he is thinking of selling both his flat and the freehold but I understand that he has to give existing leaseholders first option to buy the freehold. Is that right?

Thank you and best wishes

If all the flats are 999 year leases 4yrs expired, assuming he would grant similar to his flat on sale, and there are no other income streams or development rights, a ball park is 7.5 to 10k.

He is exempt form the right to first refusal. however he is not immune from the right of the other leaseholders to exercise the right to collectively enfranchise ie forcibly buy the freehold from him, but as you own two flats, the other leaseholders must join in to make up the requisite majority.

By all means follow the mehtod and try and negotiate. http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...nt.asp?item=11

Many sales are agreed this way.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you for this information. Did you mean around 10k in total for all of the flats to divide between them. Also can I ask why would he be exempt from giving us first refusal? Presumably this means we need to act quickly before he sells it off elsehwhere
      best wishes and thanks

Comment

its exempt from R2FR as he is resident landlord.

its 10k for the freehold how much per flat depends on how many participate and as posted that on sale he would grant a similar lease and rent to the incoming purchaser. The average buyer would be hard pressed to find a lender as they will not lend on a freehold with a retained unit - a flat without a lease. In most cases he would be best off selling the freehold to one party and the flat to an owner.

In most cases the residents are the one who would pay the most as they have the most to gain or as some would say the most to lose, if they are saddled with a commercially minded landlord who appoints and agent incurring their fees as well as the service charge.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

In 1960s most leases were usually offered for 99 years. Do you mean 99 years lease ?

Comment

no its definately a 999 year lease that begain in abou 1967. All of the flats have the same long lease, so its not about extending leases, just about having control of the freehold. But there is a hurdle as the landlord has a flat in the property. However he has said he wants to sell the freehold and his flat (presumably not necessarily to the same person) ie he could sell leasees the freehold and we could form a company, and he could sell the flat then on the market as normal

Comment

Yes the vast majority of the value is in the lease of a flat so he sells that on the' same' lease, and sells the freehold to your joint company.

Comment

If all flats pay 100 p.a ground rent ( = total 500 pds p.a ) then I would agree to the ballpark price which LHA has posted in #2 ( between 7.5K to 10K ).

If all flats agree to participate in the purchase, it would cost 2K + a share of conveyancing cost per flat.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Hidden Admin Fees
                  37eeyore
                  My son is a leaseholder in an ex local authority flat that is now owned by a housing authority. I have recently been checking his service charge bill and received a summary of charges and copies of the repairs invoices. When I matched up the invoices to the summary I discovered that every invoice had...
                  28-01-2017, 13:32 PM
                • Reply to Hidden Admin Fees
                  37eeyore
                  It's not the management fee I object to. This is a fixed amount that we pay every year and is clearly stated on the service charge demands. What I object to is the 15% admin fee they they add to every repair bill before they charge us. The figure for maintenance on the service charge demand is a lump...
                  23-08-2017, 13:11 PM
                  leaseholder64
                  Looking further through the UC document, apportioning the management fee by input costs appears to be acceptable to the state.

Looking at the actual legislation, the general maintenance element is covered not just for shared ownership cases, so I think that painting is in. Ground floor...
                  23-08-2017, 13:01 PM
                  37eeyore
                  Thanks for the in depth reply.
                  I don't see how it affects the 15% admin fee they add on to invoices as these are only for repairs to the communal areas of the building. Everything else is included in the maintenance charges which don't have 15% added because they are covered by the management...
                  23-08-2017, 12:52 PM
                  leaseholder64
                  http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...s-guidance.pdf is or was the rules for paying service charges out of universal credit.

Allowable charges are:

In category A, the only allowable charges are:

It is therefore necessary to separate communal...
                  23-08-2017, 12:12 PM
                  andydd
                  Yes thats a standard catch all clause, mine has one too, but an FTT would look at it and only allow actual costs incurred to be recovered, they cant just make up an amount..it would allow a certain reasonable cost of management to be recovered, either self management or more likel;y the cost of employing...
                  23-08-2017, 11:46 AM
                • Breakdown of LA costs...
                  Landlord1206
                  As a LL am I able to insist on seeing the breakdown of costs each quarterly bill?
                  We appointed a new Agent to manage the property and now only get one figure on the bill to be paid. Before we received a full breakdown of each item such as gardenng, lighting, insurance, postage etc
                  They...
                  20-08-2017, 17:49 PM
                • Reply to Breakdown of LA costs...
                  leaseholder64
                  Generally only the directors of a company have a right to the level of detail you would like. However, there is a strong moral case for providing it to members of an RMC, with the exception of details of exactly who is in arrears.

The model articles for RTM companies do allow members access...
                  23-08-2017, 11:39 AM
                  Landlord1206
                  Thank you all for the advice.
                  i have paid and will keep on top of this.
                  i was asking for a budget v expenditure mid year just as a company would look at this monthly....to see how we are getting along with a view on the immediate future expectations of performance and my likely bills....
                  23-08-2017, 10:47 AM
                  MrSoffit
                  Hi, as already said by leaseholder64, the reason you are in this situation as a Resident Management Company (ironic title eh?) is what sounds like a shower of 18 company members not working to help themselves. Laws cannot help apathetic, lazy humans. And sadly, as you are finding, one leaseholder has...
                  23-08-2017, 10:07 AM
                Working...
                X