Lease extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any property solicitor will do, and based on the earlier extensions the company likely already has its own.

SGclacy is sadly incorrect as the orignal value and term is irrelevant but is correct in where there is a value to an extension and no earlier agreement ( all too common) on lease extensions, giving some for nil and some at a cost ( barring provisions as above or sale to a non participant) is wrong.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks leasehold
      Glad a property solicitor would do, because my Deeds are kept with a conveyancer who I am going to use - but who is is not the same person as the company firm of solicitors. It is correct there is a value to my lease extension and besides one cannot fail to see there are overdue roof repairs but no service charge let alone no company bank account and one director says she cannot afford.
      "I'll be back."

Comment

sgclacy

thanks for your answers. I will speak to my conveyancer also about surrender and regranting a new lease. Lease extension and freehold can take up some months causes worry and stops people gettingon with their day to day life. When we had in this property a landlord and not a sf life was much easier.
        "I'll be back."

Comment

sgclacy,

Thanks for pointing to the Direction of executing a Deed of Variation myself. I now see that a Companies Act 2006 came to effect October 2009 that a Director can execute Deeds in the presence of an independent witness and in this way It appears I can execute the Deed myself.

I asked my conveyancing Solicitor to check that and prepare DoV for me to xtend my lease.

Thanks again because it is very useful advice.
          "I'll be back."

Comment

I have now found a Lawyer who I am instructing and who suggested to prepare my Deeds for lease extension in the same terms the others. Only after your suggestion I found out that I could do it this way. I had not known that directors can execute Deeds signing themselves in the presence of a witness. It is now in the LR guides. Thanks again.
            "I'll be back."

Comment

yes but you can't sign a lease in your capacity as a tenant and then in your capacity as a director or company secretary - you have a right when you own a share in the freehold company to have granted to you a 999 year lease - simply get the deed of variation drafted and ask one of the directors to sign.

Comment

Thanks
                None of the other 2 directors will sign - this has been ongoing. The Lawyer has been instructed and says it can be done without the others signing.

I do not know the motives of the others and sometimes personality problems develop.

What worries me most is the sagging 2nd floor roof a frightful sight,my buyer lost his mortgage approval for this whereas the extension was less.
                "I'll be back."

Comment

Well the lawyer is wrong- in this case you are granting yourself a considerable benefit with a lease extension, without any consideration which as a director in this situation you cannot.

It can easily be overturned.

Do it at your own risk.
                  Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks

I do not see the point. It will be the same benefit as the other 2 directors granted to themselves. Same terms will apply. The other directors not only refused to grant me extention but they granted 999 years to themselves and on top of that asked me a premium in order to grant me a lease. Besides, the value of the director’s flats is a lot highr than mine.
                    "I'll be back."

Comment

L/a have you seen such leases overturned? when and where?
                      My Lawyer said that the other 2 directors can contest but it would not be easy for them. If I did not take risks the only option would be to offer a premium and pay summs I have to borrow or sell.

The premium for my lease extension is extremely high (calculated by a surveyor recently) and it can be better put in other investments. I had found actually buyers for my property with the present lease.
                      "I'll be back."

Comment

Well you have answered you own question havent you.

If the premium for the other flat would be higher the company would have recieved a lot more of premium than your flat's and in turn your dividend, or other shareout, from that large flat would be larger than your proportional contribution to your premium.

Say
                        £300000 /3 shared by 3
                        £250000 /3 shared by 3
                        You £210000 /3 shared by 3

Do the math.

Comment

For erevry claim and contest there is a counter one.

The other directors run same risk of being contested. No premium was paid to me and I do not see why they should take unfair advantage and demand from me a premium. I do not know why the other directors act so. Perhaps they might have wanted in exchange of granting me a lease to aloow them various benefits such as change in the Covenants...
                          "I'll be back."

Comment

You still haven't grasped it, stop looking for zebras

Comment

No I don’t understand what you mean. But do not worry. My Lawyer has explained to me well. Thanks.
                              "I'll be back."

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leakage dispute
                                ozdemirozgur
                                Hi,

I have an issue with the other freeholder (we are 3 freeholders of a converted house into 3 flats) about a leak. There is intermittent leaks to downstairs kitchen from my bathroom. both mine one and downstairs flat are rented properties. A few weeks back husband of the downstairs flat...
                                26-07-2017, 14:51 PM
                              • Reply to Leakage dispute
                                AndrewDod
                                ... and arguably if there is water flooding into his flat from yours he does have every right to switch the water off, since he will assume that that you are going to have an emergency plumber in there the next day -- and that this plumber will strip your bathroom fittings out until the cause is found....
                                26-07-2017, 23:12 PM
                              • Reply to Leakage dispute
                                AndrewDod
                                Intermittent leaks...... Sounds as if you are being bloody negligent, and then have the gall to be getting angry. GET IT SORTED NOW. Get a good plumber and pay as much as you need to pay, whether it is £200 or £5000 -- If and only if you discover it is coming from a common pipe, then it is a common...
                                26-07-2017, 23:02 PM
                              • FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
                                Farrella
                                First Tier Tribunal refuses permission to appeal their decision for the correct ("reasonable") service charge payable by leaseholder. But leaseholder still refuses to pay service charge and wants to go to court (or Upper Tribunal). Is the FTT useless at enforcing service charge payment?...
                                26-07-2017, 16:11 PM
                              • Reply to FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
                                Farrella
                                Yes I am the landlord, and the leaseholder was the one who took us to FTT after I served notice on non-payment of service charge. Unfortunately for him, the tribunal ruled that most charges were reasonable. Then he appealed and the tribunal refused him permission to appeal.

Now he says...
                                26-07-2017, 18:04 PM
                              • Reply to FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
                                MrSoffit
                                Hi, presume you as landlord took defaulter to FTT and won? And defaulter was denied right of appeal?

Don't understand how defaulter still wants to go to UT? Is he/she asking the UT to allow an appeal over the FTT? Do you know the point of law?

Regroup:

Are you...
                                26-07-2017, 17:09 PM
                                nukecad
                                From experience with benefit appeals.

The FTT can refuse permission to pass on your appeal to the Upper Tier, but that does not stop you appealing to the UTT yourself.
                                (Yes it seems strange).

You can only appeal to the UTT on an 'error of law' and not on an 'error of...
                                26-07-2017, 17:06 PM
                              • Grounds rents to be reduced to zero? That'll do nicely
                                MrSoffit
                                Government due to announce major overhaul of leasehold tomorrow. Read here...

http://www.leaseholdknowledge.com/go...rents-low-zero

At last.

Edit: Article now in Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...w-build-houses...
                                24-07-2017, 22:42 PM
                              • Reply to Grounds rents to be reduced to zero? That'll do nicely
                                MrSoffit
                                So far I've read nothing that convinces me the government (given the number of landlord/barristers in the Houses) will threaten the existing caper - far too lucrative.

Trouble is, if they only ban future leasehold houses and enforce peppercorn rents on new flats, the rest of us ( 4 million?)...
                                26-07-2017, 14:38 PM
                              • Reply to Grounds rents to be reduced to zero? That'll do nicely
                                Tipper
                                Surely this 'reduction' in ground rent will only apply to new leases and to houses if still leasehold?

Frankly the house developers need their bottoms smacking and fining very very large amounts for conning buyers! It seems many (most?) businesses in the UK spend all their time dreaming...
                                26-07-2017, 13:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X