Disputing Service Charge/Major Works - Am I over reacting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disputing Service Charge/Major Works - Am I over reacting?

I bought a leasehold flat 7 years ago and have been paying crazy fees to Hounslow Council ever since. I always dispute the bills via email or by telephone, but end up paying just because I do not have the time or energy to fight them. I have now had enough. I knew I was not moving into a palace but The condition of the property is deteriorating each year.

My service charge account is now £450 in arrears and the Major Works bill is £550 in arrears. I am currently disputing both as I see little evidence of the works they claim to do.

Service Charge
    The cleanliness at the flats is poor especially near the communal entrance (litter, urine etc)
    There are no bins provided to the flats for refuse causing pest control issues
    The caretaker was taking the rubbish bags down on a Wednesday morning (this stopped about 4 months ago). The bags would then sit there for 24 hours until the bin men collect on a Thursday. A mountain of rubbish which never entirely disappears (fly tipping).

Major Works
    I was charged £700 for some very small jobs (which | see very little evidence of) when there are much more serious issues for the external decorating team to worry about.

I have contacted the council with these queries and maybe it is a coincidence but I now have no signal to my front room TV from the communal Aerial?

For some reason I cannot upload the pictures but am happy to email them. Am I over reacting? If not, what is the best course of action to take?

Its time you sold and move to better flat.

Comment

How useful that information is to me?

If me selling and moving were an option it would have been done. Now I am making the most of what I have, which is a beautiful flat in an awful building.

You don't always have to post, especially if it is not really constructive

Comment

You should set out your concerns and your suggestions and desired outcome, editing out the moan to one overall one.

Do quote the applicable standard http://www.hounslowhomes.org.uk/caretaking

Use their formal complaint procedure to get an answer.

http://www.hounslowhomes.org.uk/comments_and_complaints
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Ground rent rpi base
          landforce
          Hi.

Hopefully an easy question but does anyone know if when the ground rent is rpi linked is it from when the leasehold was set up or when you purchased the property. I.e if leasehold was set up in dec 12 but the property was purchased in Sept 13 is the base from dec12 or Sept 13?...
          20-08-2017, 08:48 AM
        • Reply to Ground rent rpi base
          landforce
          Thanks for the above . V useful knowledge there
          21-08-2017, 07:42 AM
        • Clarification on lease and recovering costs
          jerome_sw
          Please can someone clarify the meaning of this section of the lease;

"to indemnify the landlords against all costs charges and expenses (including legal costs and fees payable to any surveyor) which may be incurred or be borne by the landlords
          (a) in or in contemplation of any...
          20-08-2017, 11:45 AM
        • Reply to Clarification on lease and recovering costs
          jerome_sw
          We are due to attend the FTT on the breach of covenant so if they deem the breach to have occurred then I am thinking (b) could apply. In any event I think (c) would apply as the costs have been incurred in pursuing the leaseholder to remedy the breach and repair the property back to it's original state....
          20-08-2017, 20:37 PM
          sgclacy
          The 1993 Act did not regard ground rents of little signicance - the full value had to be reflected in the valuation

by having a nil ground rent it was deigned to make it a complete formality for a lender to agree to the deed, originally it was intended that mortgagees consent would not...
          20-08-2017, 15:31 PM
        • Reply to Clarification on lease and recovering costs
          andydd
          Yes generally accepting the lease as continuing (by demanding and accepting rent/services charges) means you have waived any right to forfeit and so any right to costs, Im really not sure what b) and c) mean, a|) is the standard clause in most leases, Im not sure b) or c) cover breach of a covenant...
          20-08-2017, 14:16 PM
          MrSoffit
          "Two properties exactly the same one with a ground rent of a peppercorn and the other with a rent of £250 per annum will attract two differing sale prices. The one with a ground rent will clearly sell for less and the discount in the price is in effect a loan and the interest on that loan is in...
          20-08-2017, 13:39 PM
          sgclacy
          Rents linked to the RPI protects both the landlord and the tenant. From the landlords perspective it protects the rent from the adverse effects of inflation and from the Tenants point of view protects them from the consequences of the estimate of future inflation being wrong. For example if inflation...
          20-08-2017, 11:53 AM
          MrSoffit
          I ran some capitalisations assuming an original 99 year lease worth £100K when new with 79 years term left to run using the following variables:-

Increment rate (years): 15, 20, 25, 33
          Method: RPI% @ 2.5%,3.5%,4.5% versus fixed doubling
          Initial amounts: £100, £150, £200,...
          20-08-2017, 11:08 AM
        • Calling a meeting
          surreygirl
          We have not had a meeting for about four years and know nothing about the accounts or what is happening as I am not notified about a thing. When I asked for information about the accounts I was told to go to the Companies House web site but that doesnt tell me a thing.

I have sent out a...
          19-08-2017, 19:37 PM
        Working...
        X