is this legal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this legal?

I have found a message from the Promerty Management on the entrance door to our block of flats: "If the vehicle Reg xxxxxx is not removed from parking bay 10, by Monday 11th February Property Management will have it removed and crushed in accordance with Greater Manchester Police"
    Our PM has gone crazy!!! Each flat has one parking bay. Sometimes people park in bays that don't belong to them. Can PM remove and crush the car?
    It is not my car - just curious.
    In my eyes PM is taking it to far...

Hmm. But where is the person who owns bay 10 supposed to park, unless the company do take a firm line?

Comment

I see your point. If the PM park in my bay when they visit site, which they do for cleaning, where am I suppose to park? In someones space? What gives them the right to park in someones bay for the time of cleaning? I may be in a hurry, find a car in my bay and park in someone else's and then leave for two weeks holiday?
      The point is: is it legal to take away someones car and destroy it?

Comment

Aren't there any visitor spaces for the cleaner to use?

I think if I was daft enough to park in someone else's space and then go on two weeks holiday, I might expect to find my car missing when I got back.

Comment

people park in different bays and always have been, since the development was built. Any parking problems were resolved between resindents. Untill now. My question is- can PM really do that? No matter why the car is in bay no 10.
          There are no visitor spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by laila View Post
            I have found a message from the Promerty Management on the entrance door to our block of flats: "If the vehicle Reg xxxxxx is not removed from parking bay 10, by Monday 11th February Property Management will have it removed and crushed

Can PM remove and crush the car?
            I don't know about whether the LL can have the car removed (and crushed) but it's possibly a breach of lease if a leaseholder parks their car in another leaseholder's parking space.

Is it just you who has received such a notice? Is there any legitimate reason for the PM to think that this is your car?

The LL potentially has the same problem as with the issue in your thread 'keeping a dog in leasehold flat'. If they have turned a blind eye to this for years then the obligation on tenants might be considered waived. Especially if the PM parks their car in leaseholders' parking spaces.

Another tricky situation for the LL.
            I accept no legal responsibility for comments/advice I make on this forum. Please check with a solicitor before acting on statements made in a public forum.

Comment

It is not my car and I did not receive that message. It was posted on every main door on the estate.
              I am just curious if PM can take your car and crush it legally? Even if it is a breach of lease? It seems a bit OTT to me.

Comment

I have found a message from the Promerty Management on the entrance door to our block of flats: "If the vehicle Reg xxxxxx is not removed from parking bay 10, by Monday 11th February Property Management will have it removed and crushed in accordance with Greater Manchester Police"
                Our PM has gone crazy!!! Each flat has one parking bay. Sometimes people park in bays that don't belong to them. Can PM remove and crush the car?
                My understanding of the law (from when this happend to us), is that they have absolutey no right to do this, in this way at all

This might not stop them, but they'd be in for a big bill if they did and the owner (of the car) sued them

tim

Edit - I meant when this happened to us as disinterested tenant, not car owner

Comment

I am just curious if PM can take your car and crush it legally?
                  Even if it is a breach of lease? It seems a bit OTT to me.
                  A stranger, who just happens to be the PM, cannot enter private
                  property, steal a car off private property, and destroy it.
                  The police can have abandoned cars, untaxed / uninsured cars
                  removed from the road, via act of parliament, but not from private
                  property.
                  But as stated, "Someone" HAS to take a stand.

1)
                  Does your lease state that you have an allocated parking
                  space and maybe shown on the lease. ? Does it say not
                  to park anywhere but that parking space.
                  If so, then the normal proceedure for breach of covenant
                  should be administered.

2) Who are the Directors of the freehold company, are
                  they residents within the block, and they in turn "ASK" a
                  management company to run the place on their behalf ?
                  ( Not the managing agents Directors, but the freeholders )

If so, then talk to the directors and have the managing
                  agents tow the line and stop telling lies.

It has not been unknown for me to park behind an unwanted
                  car, ( normaly workmen, and occationaly visitors ) and let
                  them find out who is blocking them in.
                  When I am confronted, I state that I will have my flat taken
                  off me, by way of forfeiture action if I breach my lease by
                  parking in someone elses space.
                  I also state that as I have been waiting to get into my space
                  for over an hour, they can wait over an hour to get out.
                  That is ONLY fair. I go back out in an hour and move my car.

The workmen or visitors are not allowed to touch your vehicle.

Write to the PM telling them that although you understand,
                  the notice should be re-written stating breach of the lease,
                  and action taken accordingly, and to remove the "Ilegal"
                  notice they have just put up.

R.a.M.

Comment

I'd say NO, especially now the no clamping laws are in place.
                    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

I am just curious if PM can take your car and crush it legally?
                      They cannot damage the car, but technically they could arrange to have it towed away. Where to and at what cost, who knows?

Police won't be interested unless the car is causing an obstruction, if untaxed report to DVLA, abandoned call the local council.

This is another example of your PM going about things in a heavy handed way that obviously will rub people up the wrong way. But if the car is moved and the space free then job done.

Comment

Originally posted by DNM2012 View Post
                        but technically they could arrange to have it towed away. Where to and at what cost, who knows?
                        Sorry must correct myself, since 1 October 2012 the worst they can do is issue a parking charge notice.

Comment

Sorry must correct myself, since 1 October 2012 the worst they can do is issue a parking charge notice.
                          Since Oct 2012, they can go through the statutory process for abandoned cars, which used not to be available as remedy on private land, but now is.

But that is long winded, time consuming and potentially costly (especially if the owner responds to you with "no it's not abandoned, I've parked it there".

It certainly isn't something that you can do by "tomorrow".

Comment

The owner or anyone with a contract for the space, can remove a car at any time, however they are open to a claim for damages physical and civil in doing so. As they cannot tow it away, leaving in another space or area may put them in breach of the lease.They certainly cannot destroy it or have the LA destroy it except where the right circumstances apply.

http://www.arma.org.uk/doc/public/LA...ing-Issues.pdf

If it ain't yours, don't park in it. If the space is your then subject to the terms on which you occupy or own the space consider erecting a simple post/barrier.
                            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

This has fascinated me since it came in.

What is stopping me parking on a random private drive in the London suburbs, and taking the Underground to the Centre, if I am willing to ignore the householder?

In the case of the flat above, perhaps what the PM need to do is simply to drop the car on the nearest Double Yellow with their crane.

ML
                              Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How can I confirm if garages have been sold that once came with a flat?
                                pernes
                                Hi, I am trying to check what flats have sold their garages, to either other flats in the block who either didn't have one before or have purchased a second one or if someone outside the block now owns any.

The block has three more flats than garages. Is there a way I can check this out?...
                                22-07-2017, 21:07 PM
                              • Reply to How can I confirm if garages have been sold that once came with a flat?
                                MrSoffit
                                Hi, We have two dozen flats and only four garages. The garages are not owned by the flats numbered on the lease plans for those places. All leases include a car parking space in the demise, except the four with a garage who have this over-typed and the car space crossed out. Not even initialled as...
                                22-07-2017, 22:52 PM
                              • Reply to How can I confirm if garages have been sold that once came with a flat?
                                theartfullodger
                                Buy the deeds & plan of each flat from land registry
                                22-07-2017, 21:50 PM
                              • leaking roof in a leasehold flat
                                bedruzenka
                                Hello
                                I own a leasehold flat and the roof has been leaking for almost 2 years now.My flat is on first floor of a converted end terrace Victorian house so there is another flat downstairs. According to my lease the freeholder is responsible for the roof but the leaseholders have to pay for it.The...
                                22-07-2017, 07:14 AM
                              • Reply to leaking roof in a leasehold flat
                                leaseholder64
                                An agent should be communicating any relevant information to their principal. If the freeholder gets into trouble because the agent doesn't tell them something, they should sue the agent!

Section 7.8 of the RICS Code says the freeholder should be told immediately of any arrears.
                                22-07-2017, 19:55 PM
                              • Directors AND Officers of leasehold run companies?
                                MrSoffit
                                This forum often deals with the hassles of leaseholder run companies, the powers of the directors, and managing agents acting as company secretaries but dictating the show.

There is another twist in the governance of leaseholder companies as imposed by managing agents and their associates....
                                12-07-2017, 18:35 PM
                              • Reply to Directors AND Officers of leasehold run companies?
                                Auntym
                                Thank you for your reply - much appreciated.
                                22-07-2017, 15:33 PM
                                bedruzenka
                                I can see what you are saying but this basically gives the freeholder more time to deal with this because they will claim that they weren't aware of this issue. The set up in my case looks strange to me but maybe it's common. Basically one of the directors of the investments company (= freeholder) is...
                                22-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                                leaseholder64
                                One point that maybe ought to be made is that the RICS guidelines, http://www.rics.org/Global/Service_c...ition_2016.pdf, which are given a status similar to that of the Highway Code, in legislation, say that managing agents should never let the service...
                                22-07-2017, 13:21 PM
                                bedruzenka
                                I've already been back to CAB they told me there was nothing else they could do for me.They told me to get a solicitor. After reading some horror stories about freeholders I'm also worried about the issue of their legal fees being charged back to me on top of my own!...
                                22-07-2017, 12:19 PM
                              Working...
                              X