Replacement Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Door

I have been in negotiations with my LL for the past couple of years regarding replacing my broken flat door and whom it’s demised to.
    Eventually I've approached my legal insurance providers to submit a claim only to be informed that because I didn’t report the matter within 180 days of the incident I’m not covered.

I’m more than confident it’s demised to him but how’s best for me to proceed to reach a conclusion to the matter without accumulating large legal fees?

Thanks

BB

Replace the door yourself they are not that expensive is probably cheapest option.

I would check your lease as I suspect your landlord may be right. I have just got my joiner to fit new decent door all in job was less than £250.

Comment

"how’s best for me to proceed to reach a conclusion"

I would not bother with this claim.

It's your flat, your door that potects your flat, the door that
      prevents people getting into your flat, then you replace it.

without accumulating large legal fees.?
      Legal fees will be more than the cost of your door.

Replace the door yourself and get on with your life.

Comment

Things in this forum rarely make me laugh (cry, more like), but Ram's contribution above killed me. "...and get on with your life." I sort of had to tell this to myself recently, see....

...A little story. I live in a flat, as most of you know, and it has two car-parks. However, I've had one car nicked from there and seveal motors damaged. It's a lovely area I live. Divine. Directly at the rear of my flat is a parking bay for two cars. I like to park my car in one of those. Keep an eye on it, see. However, about a year ago, one of those bleedin' "council tennants" moved in with his brood. Great.

He owns a car and a van. He began parking his vehicle directly across BOTH spaces, preventing me (or anyone) from parking there. In fact, when he'd go out in the car, he'd move his van over to block both spaces! The tosser doesn't even have the manners to place his van and car in the spots when they're both at home - he takes up a third space for that! One day, I left a note for him and asked him to stop doing this as he was behaving like something which rhymes with a word beginning with 'blunt.' He came up and saw me ("did you leave me this note...?" he said) and he then said he does it as he needs to let his small daughter in and out of the car and needs room ("huh?"). Anyway, I don't want a neighbour-dispute logged on the flat, so a few months later, I emailed the useless housing organisation and said "Look, this kn-b keeps doing this and now another neighbour has started pulling the same stunt. Can you sort it please?"

The freeholder took about a month to get onto it, but they wrote letters to the tennants and said "stop please." This fool didn't stop though. In fact, he is now parking his car further inside the bay than ever. I contacted the freeholder again. Sort it please. Last week, they mail me and said: "we paid him a visit and asked him to see common sense." However, it appears he didn't see anything because, as of yesterday, he's still parking like a knob AND the freeholder stated in their letter that he "isn't breaking his tennancy agreement by doing this so there's not much more we can do"

I did consider smashing his car windows, keying it, or, more likely, popping down with some friends and repeatedly LIFTING his car into a bay properly but...Yesterday I just looked down from my window and said "Should I just get on with my life?"

Opinions please?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post

Replace the door yourself and get on with your life.
          hear hear
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Basement Bill View Post
            I’m more than confident it’s demised to him but
            It will be in your lease as to what the freeholder has to maintain.
            But read all the lease as there can be 2 sections about the freeholder.

We sometimes on here ( especialy me ) look at a situation, weigh
            up the options in 200 milliseconds, and give a short answer that
            is "probably" the best way forward.
            May not be the best, may not be the legal way, but the best
            short route to solve the situation, or reduce costs.

See your lease and report back the contents of the lease.

R.a.M.

Comment

Originally posted by calgontablet View Post
              Opinions please?!?!
              What does the lease say about parking spaces.
              Does it mention for cars only and no commercial vehicles ?

You won't be able to do the following, but I have 3 cars I can drive
              at the other place I have and park 3 where I like if I know there
              may be a problem, thereby stopping the parking.

If you had spare cars, you could park one as soon as he moves
              it, but then he will probably park in the other car park and do the
              same.
              BUT, don't be surprised if he comes in, you have 2 cars there, he
              will just park behind you. That's what they do.
              But I want to park here, he will say.

just keep reporting, once a week, every week.
              You are not causing a problem, so the freeholder can do nothing to you.
              Send small size letter in small envelope first week,
              larger the second week, A4 envelope and A4 paper the next time,
              all saying the same, just with date change.

Then for onepound 50, send a gargantuan envelope, and A4 letter
              Wrap one up in christmas paper, and on and on, as you will not
              stop the bugger, but have fun in the meantime
              Last edited by ram; 01-02-2013, 19:13 PM. Reason: P.S. Added

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                It will be in your lease as to what the freeholder has to maintain.
                But read all the lease as there can be 2 sections about the freeholder.

We sometimes on here ( especialy me ) look at a situation, weigh
                up the options in 200 milliseconds, and give a short answer that
                is "probably" the best way forward.
                May not be the best, may not be the legal way, but the best
                short route to solve the situation, or reduce costs.

See your lease and report back the contents of the lease.

R.a.M.
                Because the LL would not except that the UPVC door was demised to him but was demanding that if I replaced it he wanted it like for like even though each flat door is of different construction I decided to let the LVT decide.

Their decision was even though it was clearly outside the area demised to me on the plan attached to my lease which was silent on the matter of door’s, their opinion was it was to treated the same as the windows which are demised to the LL with the glass being the responsibly of the Tenant and not as part of the structure which was my argument.

B.B

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
                  by flyingfreehold
                  Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
                  21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
                • Reply to collective enfranchisement
                  by flyingfreehold
                  at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
                  21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
                • Building works & S20 process
                  by RichA
                  Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
                  21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
                • Reply to Building works & S20 process
                  by scot22
                  It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
                  21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
                • Reply to collective enfranchisement
                  by Tipper
                  Ask lease-advice.org
                  21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
                • Reply to Levy
                  by scot22
                  Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
                  21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
                • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                  by Macromia
                  They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
                  21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
                • Reply to Changes to lease wording
                  by Lawcruncher
                  If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
                  21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
                • Changes to lease wording
                  by bigalxyz
                  In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
                  14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
                • Reply to Levy
                  by Macromia
                  ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
                  21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
                Working...
                X