Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder not providing Building Insurance details

Hi Everyone,
    I am in a very uncomfortable situation and wish to seek your advice.
    My freeholder is not sending me the details of the buildinginsurance policy. I asked him to do so back in November 2012 (sent him a letterrecorded delivery), my solicitor made the same request in December 2012 on mybehalf. He responded assuring me that the building is fully insured and that Ishould pay £240, but no details of the policy. The reason why I asked for acopy of the policy is: I had a water leak in the property in October 2012 andthe company that repaired it assured me they will claim all the expense fromthe building insurance. As some time has passed and I was not able to providethe details of the policy so they can make the claim, they said they will sendthe invoice to me. The invoice amount is £964, which is quite significant tome, and I did not expect to pay it, therefore never budgeted for this expense.The situation is even more complicated because I am now going through a leaseextension and do not wish to upset the freeholder too much, so that he does notrequest a hugely high amount for the extension. In short my questions are:
    ·What else can I do to make the landlord providedetails of the building insurance?
    ·Do I have to pay the £240 for building insuranceeven without the copy of the policy (my solicitor dealing with lease extensionadvised not to, but I contacted Lease Advice Bureau who said I can not withholdpayment on this basis)?
    ·Lease Advice also told me that if the freeholderdoes not provide the details within 21 days I can complain to the localauthority – but when I contact Newham Council no one seemed to be able to tellme how to log the complaint and who will deal with it. Which department shouldI contact in the local authority and would it help?
    ·Even if I pay the £240 requested, I believe thesum is quite high, and I don’t know anything about the details of the policy(excess, etc). Can I dispute it with the landlord?
    ·Would it be advisable to just pay the invoicefrom the repair company and then when the lease is extended file a Small ClaimsForm in order to get the money from the freeholder?
    ·When the leak repair company started the workthey did not provide any quote, so I expected a bill of £500 max (they said theequipment they use for detection is £250+vat plus labour). I also made themaware that I did not have the details f the building insurance company at thetime due to the problem with the freeholder (all conversations were on thephone, so can not prove this has been said). Can I dispute this?
    Thank you for your time. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I do hate it when people, based on your post, give crap advice.. especially a charging solicitor, let alone LEASE.

1 Premium. Well if the amount is demanded in the manner and timing required by the lease with the required statutory information under section 47 and 48 LTA 1987 and the summary of rights, then it is due. Unless the lease requires that you have sight of the policy then it is not conditional.

2 21 Days is nonsense it only operates if the original request is an exercise of your right under LTA section 30A and it's a month.

Dear Landlord
    In accordance with Section 30A Landlord and Tenant Act 1985,and section 43 schedule 3(2) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987, I require a summary of the Insurance policy which shall include
    (a)the insured amount or amounts under any relevant policy, and
    (b)the name of the insurer under any such policy, and
    (c)the risks in respect of which the dwelling or (as the case may be) the building containing it is insured under any such policy.

Failure to do so is a criminal offence under para 3(6) of the schedule above and if you fail to do so I will contact the Local Authority and start proceedings in the Local magistrates court myself. http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...d_consolidated

Try To contact the Private Sector Housing Section, please call 020 3373 1950
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Problem5 View Post
      The situation is even more complicated because I am now going through a leaseextension and do not wish to upset the freeholder too much, so that he does notrequest a hugely high amount for the extension.

·Even if I pay the £240 requested, I believe thesum is quite high, and I don’t know anything about the details of the policy(excess, etc). Can I dispute it with the landlord?
      Depending on the circumstances there may be reasons why you can withhold payment but if you don't want to complicate matters with the LL then you can pay and dispute later. Just don't admit that you consider the charge reasonable.

·Would it be advisable to just pay the invoicefrom the repair company and then when the lease is extended file a Small ClaimsForm in order to get the money from the freeholder?
      ·When the leak repair company started the workthey did not provide any quote, so I expected a bill of £500 max (they said theequipment they use for detection is £250+vat plus labour). I also made themaware that I did not have the details f the building insurance company at thetime due to the problem with the freeholder (all conversations were on thephone, so can not prove this has been said).
      It's unclear who is responsible for the repair. Is it yourself or the LL? Why not pay the £240 insurance demand and tell the repair company that they said they'd promised to claim direct with the buildings insurance and pass them the LL's details?
      I accept no legal responsibility for comments/advice I make on this forum. Please check with a solicitor before acting on statements made in a public forum.

Comment

You could make an LVT application, the tribunal would not be too happy if the FH still didnt provide insurance details, although the amount of £240 doesnt seem that high, Im being asked to pay £700+ to insure a small flat.

And you could theoritically insure it yourself as you feared it wasnt insured, there are a few LVt decisions where this scenario has happened.

But ultimately LHA's advice is the best, and threats of a criminal action should bring him to his sense.

Andy
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Thank you very much for your advice. It is highly appreciated. I have now made the payment and will send him a letter stating that and also the request about the insurance policy as per your advice. I hope to get the details shortly.

Comment

It is unclear to me as well who should undertake the repair. It may actually be possible that the leak is not covered, but I still wish to try and claim. Anyway if I provide the details of the insurance company the repair company said it is their problem how to get the money, as long as I send them the details of the insurance in place. I also asked them to send the bill to the landlord directly, but they said that I requested the works and they can not do this. I will see and wait, hopefully the landlord will send the details.

Comment

What was the cause of the leak?

Sadly you instructed them so you are liable for costs- if they made representations that they would take care of insurance forms etc, then that may help you as unless you gave them the info how on earth could they make that representation?
              Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

They found a small hole in the water pipe. Due to this leak there was no water pressure in the boiler, so consequently there was no hot water and heating at the property. This is why I had to act fast to do the repair. I still hope I can dispute the invoice as no original quote was given, only a phone coversation.

I sent the letter to the freeholder using your wording:
                "In accordance with Section 30A Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 and Section 43 schedule 3(2) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987, I require a summary of the Insurance policy which shall include:
                (c)the risks in respect of which the dwelling or (as the case may be) the building containing it is insured under any such policy.
                Failure to do so is a criminal offence under para 3(6) of the schedule above and if you fail to do so I will contact the Local Authority and start proceedings in the Local magistrates court myself."
                I wonder if this was not too harsh in the light of the lease extension I am going through.

The nr you gave me for "Private Sector Housing Section, please call 020 3373 1950". It seems to be a residential nr. Perhaps it has been changed? It is very strange but it appears on the Newham Council website as well. I contacted them via email, lets hope they will respond.

Could you please also let me know if you are a solicitor. I want to know how much would it cost me to take the freeholder to court for not providing insurance details in time and if it is worth the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                  1 Premium. Well if the amount is demanded in the manner and timing required by the lease with the required statutory information under section 47 and 48 LTA 1987 and the summary of rights, then it is due. Unless the lease requires that you have sight of the policy then it is not conditional.
                  Well, if there is no insurance in place (and the LL has stubbornly refused to produce any evidence that there is) then the cost has not been incurred, let alone reasonably incurred.

If that is the case, then no payment is due.

Comment

I do hate it when people, based on your post, give crap advice.. especially a charging solicitor, let alone LEASE.

2 21 Days is nonsense it only operates if the original request is an exercise of your right under LTA section 30A and it's a month.

Dear Landlord
                    In accordance with Section 30A Landlord and Tenant Act 1985,and section 43 schedule 3(2) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987, I require a summary of the Insurance policy which shall include

Failure to do so is a criminal offence under para 3(6) of the schedule above and if you fail to do so I will contact the Local Authority and start proceedings in the Local magistrates court myself. http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...d_consolidated

Try To contact the Private Sector Housing Section, please call 020 3373 1950
                    I wanted to thank Leasehold answers for your advice. The freeholder has now sent me the details of the building insurance policy and I hope this will solve my problem. Thanks a lot for your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Perplexed View Post
                      Well, if there is no insurance in place (and the LL has stubbornly refused to produce any evidence that there is) then the cost has not been incurred, let alone reasonably incurred.

If that is the case, then no payment is due.
                      Not the case - the lease may require on account contribution for such things for costs that they expect to incur. What you suggest can only be after the fact or of the lease makes specific prevision such as payment in arrears or insurance rents.

Comment

Originally posted by Problem5 View Post
                        I wanted to thank Leasehold answers for your advice. The freeholder has now sent me the details of the building insurance policy and I hope this will solve my problem. Thanks a lot for your advice.
                        Most welcome. Now we need to see as asked who under your lease is responsible for the repair to the pipe. But do lodge an insurance claim pdq.

Comment

I have now got the next challenge: the building company that carried the work and said they will claim themselves should I produce the policy details, want me to get the claim number.
                          When I tried to call the broker they said I am not authorized to do so, as I am not the policy holder.
                          When trying to contact the landlord he is avoiding my calls.
                          I am thinking of sending him a letter. What would be the best thing to say in it? Is there any way to avoid this, as I paid half of the insurance premium and I can not even claim unless it goes through the freeholder.
                          Thank you for your help.

Comment

Most welcome. Now we need to see as asked who under your lease is responsible for the repair to the pipe. But do lodge an insurance claim pdq.
                            I had a look at the lease and it seems that I am responsible for the repair of the pipe. But surely the pipe leak is insured (it would normally be under a standard building insurance policy), and as I paid half of the premium, can I try and claim?
                            The only thing stopping me is the fact that the policy has been taken by the freeholder and I am not authorised to speak to the broker. What can I tell the freeholder in order to get this authorisation?
                            Thank you for your help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                              by Santa Fe
                              Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
                              24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
                            • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                              by Lawcruncher
                              Whether the complaining owner goes to a tribunal or a court, I think that on any assessment a basement bedsit paying the same as a two bedroom flat is not "fair and reasonable". You do not really want to be getting into tribunals or the like. I suggest you propose that the two bedroom flats...
                              26-01-2022, 09:01 AM
                            • AGM cancelled.
                              by Grumio
                              Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                              26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                            • Reply to AGM cancelled.
                              by Andrea Cunningham
                              Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
                              26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
                            • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                              by SouthernDave
                              Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                              i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                              25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
                            • What can I do about my right of way.
                              by Trevor62
                              I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
                              23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
                            • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
                              by Trevor62

This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

Can I ask another question?

As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
                              25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
                            • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                              by Andrea Cunningham
                              The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
                              04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
                            • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                              by Andrea Cunningham
                              As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
                              25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
                            • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                              by Andrea Cunningham
                              There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
                              25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
                            Working...
                            X