cleaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hansa View Post

ii) employ a surveyor to advise on the cleaning requirements of the property (is a surveyor the right profession?) and pass on the cost to them.
    iii) employ an outside cleaning company to carry out the work and pass on the costs to them.
    I feel really sorry about your problem because I have the same problem here in my block. A surveyor’s fee would be over £150 plus VAT, a professional cleaning over £50 at least. I do not know the solicitor’s fee. It takes though time and stress to do all that. How many storeys are there? The owner of 3 flats would not be happy to agree to increase the service charge and add more cleaning costs. Have you considered finding a local handy cleaner to come for same money twice/monthly? - it may be possible
    "I'll be back."

Comment

Originally posted by Galatea View Post
      I feel really sorry about your problem because I have the same problem here in my block. A surveyor’s fee would be over £150 plus VAT, a professional cleaning over £50 at least. I do not know the solicitor’s fee.
      Luckily I have the covenant in my lease whereby if the freeholder is in breach of the lease then they must indemnify me in regards to the cost to me of any reasonable steps I take. I would pretty much have been at their mercy otherwise.

I have now heard back from the LL and they say "For the last 3 years the communal hallway has been cleaned to a high standard every month the cleaning cost is £10 for 1 hour. We like you, have also noticed the cleaning needs to be done more frequently and will address this."

It sounds promising but I'll only believe it when I see it.

Thanks for all the advice given.

Comment

Originally posted by hansa View Post
        Luckily I have the covenant in my lease whereby if the freeholder is in breach of the lease then they must indemnify me in regards to the cost to me of any reasonable steps I take.
        Check your lease to see whether you should in turn pay LL legal costs in taking enforcement against him. Cheaper cleaning than £10 p/h is advertised in London. One reason for the lapse in cleanliness might be an increase in the number of occupants or their visitors which you do not know. Good luck.
        "I'll be back."

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Breakdown of LA costs...
          Landlord1206
          As a LL am I able to insist on seeing the breakdown of costs each quarterly bill?
          We appointed a new Agent to manage the property and now only get one figure on the bill to be paid. Before we received a full breakdown of each item such as gardenng, lighting, insurance, postage etc
          They...
          20-08-2017, 17:49 PM
        • Reply to Breakdown of LA costs...
          Gordon999
          Leaseholders should get anl audited annual service charge account within 6 months from end of reporting period. There is no right to received quarterly reports on spending.
          22-08-2017, 06:21 AM
        • service charge payments
          Squeaky
          Hi, there are 36 flats, 12 flats per block where I live. My lease says my contribution is one thirty sixth for a 2 bed. Looking at the service charge payments provided I can't work out what percentage the other flats pay, some are 1 and 3 bed as the amounts noted are different for the same size flats....
          21-08-2017, 19:57 PM
        • Reply to service charge payments
          Gordon999
          Yes, I agree with AndrewDod , you have to pay the % stated in your lease.
          22-08-2017, 06:15 AM
          AndrewDod
          As others have said - you pay the % that is in your lease. Fairness (I have a bigger garage, I have a smaller flat) has nothing to do with it.
          21-08-2017, 22:31 PM
          leaseholder64
          Also, are you sure there are not three percentages:

one for the grounds, covering all 36 flats

one for the block, covering 12 flats

one for the garage.
          21-08-2017, 20:34 PM
          leaseholder64
          You can get the total amount payable for each thing for which you have a different percentage by making a section 21 request for a summary of accounts. Best practice is that this should be provided automatically. This will be for the previous year.

To find out the percentages, you need...
          21-08-2017, 20:29 PM
          MrSoffit
          Hi, I'm slow on the uptake so not clear where you are referencing your data? Doesn't sound like all from your own lease?

The total service charge would need to add up to 100% of costs. Likewise the schedule for garages.

Short of paying £12 x 36 for all the individual leases...
          21-08-2017, 20:21 PM
          leaseholder64
          Normally the bills are payments on account, so represent something based on budget for the year, and possibly a longer term budget, not the actual expenditure.
          21-08-2017, 20:14 PM
          MrSoffit
          Hi, if you are the landlord of one of 18 flats then you are the leaseholder. What do you mean when you say "we" appointed a new agent?

Are you part of n RMC or RTM cpompany?

Service charges should be accounted for as you describe, broken down into cost heads, but...
          21-08-2017, 20:00 PM
        Working...
        X