section 25 LTA 1985 - reported case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• section 25 LTA 1985 - reported case

I've just been going through my old bookmarks which are in a total mess and have come across an old article which I thought I'd lost.

This may come in useful to people who are contemplating bringing their own case in the magistrates court. This case was a long time ago but not only did the LL's get a fine but the tenants were awarded £7000 in costs, so using a solicitor, or even the one these tenants used, could make legal action a lot easier for those put off by bringing a criminal case themselves.

Here's the link - http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...k-1148129.html
    I accept no legal responsibility for comments/advice I make on this forum. Please check with a solicitor before acting on statements made in a public forum.

While the LA can prosecute, will they?

These days as Churchill says " Oh no".

Some do some dont.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
      While the LA can prosecute, will they?

These days as Churchill says " Oh no".

Some do some dont.
      I was presuming that it wasn't the LA that prosecuted. The article says that somebody called 'Peter Clark' represented the tenant and I had presumed that he worked for one of the solicitor companies mentioned in the article but could be wrong.

I think £7000 in costs is a lot for a LIP (or it could be a punitive costs award if the magistrates do that sort of thing (I wouldn't have thought so though).

I've always shied away from going to the Magistrates Court with a private prosecution because I fully expected it to be a case of the blind leading the blind. A LIP in a criminal environment dealing with a Magistrate who has most likely never seen such a case before. I had forgotten about this case and now that I see the award of £7000 in costs I think the trick might be to get a lawyer to act for you. I imagine bringing a prosecution would be something not many lawyers have experience of either but they could probably do a better job of it than a LIP.
      I accept no legal responsibility for comments/advice I make on this forum. Please check with a solicitor before acting on statements made in a public forum.

Comment

It was a private prosecution- the point I was making is that LA's can but likely won't.

In the case of insurance and summaries its relatively simple you either do or don't ( barring say a messed up certificate which bearing in mind ICAEW views its possible) If a Landlord simply hasn't, then the M has little choice, and the Clerk or Lay advisor ( so I am told they are now called) can point them to the relevant legislation.

having been on the receiving end when of course it should be the freeholder/client from a vitriolic and clearly word blind leaseholder who couldn't understand that the difference between one month and 6 months of the years end, despite the certificate being produced in 6 weeks after the year end. It was easily disposed of and I got costs. If you are claiming that the certificate was produced but insufficient or deficient yes use a solicitor. s a criminal solicitor he will need counsel to explain to him

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...inal/rulesmenu
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Interesting,still I doubt whether any LH still really want the hassle of a private prosecution but they could refer to this case, I wonder how many there have been in the 5 years since ?

Andy
          Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by andydd View Post
            Interesting,still I doubt whether any LH still really want the hassle of a private prosecution but they could refer to this case, I wonder how many there have been in the 5 years since ?

Andy
            It's now 2013 Andy.

You might try that on with the taxman ....LOL

Comment

It only seems like yesterday!

I once got told by LEASE-ADVICE that there had not been 1 prosecution in regard to failure by the LL in regard to RFR. I always doubted that he (the adviser) would have the means of knowing such a thing.

Comment

One reason is that its a fee earner for most landlords and agents if asked. I cant remember the last time I saw a paper policy unless asked for.

I remember agreeing an NU portfolio and asking for documents as leaseholders will ask. They offered free boxes of them, and when I asked for 500 to round it up it cost some silly amount of £40 or £50 on the whole portfolio. They felt that it denuded their image if photocopies were sent out, so we charged a fee any way, and could justify as NU did charge....

Comment

I'm in a time warp..my clothes prove it , I meant 15 years.

Andy
                  Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                    jerome_sw
                    Please can someone clarify the meaning of this section of the lease;

"to indemnify the landlords against all costs charges and expenses (including legal costs and fees payable to any surveyor) which may be incurred or be borne by the landlords
                    (a) in or in contemplation of any...
                    20-08-2017, 11:45 AM
                  • Reply to Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                    jerome_sw
                    We are due to attend the FTT on the breach of covenant so if they deem the breach to have occurred then I am thinking (b) could apply. In any event I think (c) would apply as the costs have been incurred in pursuing the leaseholder to remedy the breach and repair the property back to it's original state....
                    20-08-2017, 20:37 PM
                  • Ground rent rpi base
                    landforce
                    Hi.

Hopefully an easy question but does anyone know if when the ground rent is rpi linked is it from when the leasehold was set up or when you purchased the property. I.e if leasehold was set up in dec 12 but the property was purchased in Sept 13 is the base from dec12 or Sept 13?...
                    20-08-2017, 08:48 AM
                  • Reply to Ground rent rpi base
                    sgclacy
                    The 1993 Act did not regard ground rents of little signicance - the full value had to be reflected in the valuation

by having a nil ground rent it was deigned to make it a complete formality for a lender to agree to the deed, originally it was intended that mortgagees consent would not...
                    20-08-2017, 15:31 PM
                  • Reply to Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                    andydd
                    Yes generally accepting the lease as continuing (by demanding and accepting rent/services charges) means you have waived any right to forfeit and so any right to costs, Im really not sure what b) and c) mean, a|) is the standard clause in most leases, Im not sure b) or c) cover breach of a covenant...
                    20-08-2017, 14:16 PM
                    MrSoffit
                    "Two properties exactly the same one with a ground rent of a peppercorn and the other with a rent of £250 per annum will attract two differing sale prices. The one with a ground rent will clearly sell for less and the discount in the price is in effect a loan and the interest on that loan is in...
                    20-08-2017, 13:39 PM
                    sgclacy
                    Rents linked to the RPI protects both the landlord and the tenant. From the landlords perspective it protects the rent from the adverse effects of inflation and from the Tenants point of view protects them from the consequences of the estimate of future inflation being wrong. For example if inflation...
                    20-08-2017, 11:53 AM
                    MrSoffit
                    I ran some capitalisations assuming an original 99 year lease worth £100K when new with 79 years term left to run using the following variables:-

Increment rate (years): 15, 20, 25, 33
                    Method: RPI% @ 2.5%,3.5%,4.5% versus fixed doubling
                    Initial amounts: £100, £150, £200,...
                    20-08-2017, 11:08 AM
                  • Calling a meeting
                    surreygirl
                    We have not had a meeting for about four years and know nothing about the accounts or what is happening as I am not notified about a thing. When I asked for information about the accounts I was told to go to the Companies House web site but that doesnt tell me a thing.

I have sent out a...
                    19-08-2017, 19:37 PM
                  • Reply to Calling a meeting
                    MrSoffit
                    Hi,

I have no connection other than reading RAM's posts but in this case I'd probably follow whatever RAM suggests.

S21 is like all leaseholder rights - a chocolate fireguard. Yes there is a criminal offence and a fine. Wooo, scare me, they say.

The Court of Appeal...
                    20-08-2017, 10:52 AM
                  Working...
                  X