Breach of Lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breach of Lease

Having a problem with a breach of lease by a tenant on a long lease and it is not a minor issue. A solicitor who acts for me on another property has suggested that we make the mortgage company aware of the situation. Unfortunately I am unable to find any contact at the said mortgage company who is in the slightest bit interested about finding out who we need to speak to, any advice greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the title register at HMLR?
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Yes I have and know who granted the mortgage and they are also listed in the charges register with their head office address. If I write there what department would I address the letter to?

I have tried by phone getting information as to who deals with this situation but not found anyone able to help so far.

Comment

The best appraoch must be to set out the breach, the terms of the lease, and what you expect the person to do, in a letter, headed Without Prejudice, offering a time scale for remedy, mediation or arbitration within x days, otherwise, you will proceed to the LVT to determine the breach and thereafter to the county court for forfeiture of the lease, all at his cost.

You copy that to the mortgagee, giving the property address and title number and explaining who you are, making them aware of your intended action.

Now, where are those tissues....
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by bandontherun
          The letter will pack more punch if sent on a solicitors letterhead. They love writing letters that say

UNLESS the alleged breach is remedied WITHIN A PERIOD OF XXX, THEN WITHOUT FURTHER NOTICE TO YOU, BLAH BLAH BLAH
          You missed out the C word.................. Costs

Comment

I'd be careful before incurring any costs. A leaseholder will be able to dispute these costs. A lot depends on whether you can prove there has been a breach of lease and what the lease actually says in regard to costs.
            I accept no legal responsibility for comments/advice I make on this forum. Please check with a solicitor before acting on statements made in a public forum.

Comment

Thanks for your advice, solicitors letter going next week and I have also replied individually to the people kind enought to offer advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Hidden Admin Fees
                37eeyore
                My son is a leaseholder in an ex local authority flat that is now owned by a housing authority. I have recently been checking his service charge bill and received a summary of charges and copies of the repairs invoices. When I matched up the invoices to the summary I discovered that every invoice had...
                28-01-2017, 13:32 PM
              • Reply to Hidden Admin Fees
                37eeyore
                It's not the management fee I object to. This is a fixed amount that we pay every year and is clearly stated on the service charge demands. What I object to is the 15% admin fee they they add to every repair bill before they charge us. The figure for maintenance on the service charge demand is a lump...
                23-08-2017, 13:11 PM
                leaseholder64
                Looking further through the UC document, apportioning the management fee by input costs appears to be acceptable to the state.

Looking at the actual legislation, the general maintenance element is covered not just for shared ownership cases, so I think that painting is in. Ground floor...
                23-08-2017, 13:01 PM
                37eeyore
                Thanks for the in depth reply.
                I don't see how it affects the 15% admin fee they add on to invoices as these are only for repairs to the communal areas of the building. Everything else is included in the maintenance charges which don't have 15% added because they are covered by the management...
                23-08-2017, 12:52 PM
                leaseholder64
                http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...s-guidance.pdf is or was the rules for paying service charges out of universal credit.

Allowable charges are:

In category A, the only allowable charges are:

It is therefore necessary to separate communal...
                23-08-2017, 12:12 PM
                andydd
                Yes thats a standard catch all clause, mine has one too, but an FTT would look at it and only allow actual costs incurred to be recovered, they cant just make up an amount..it would allow a certain reasonable cost of management to be recovered, either self management or more likel;y the cost of employing...
                23-08-2017, 11:46 AM
              • Breakdown of LA costs...
                Landlord1206
                As a LL am I able to insist on seeing the breakdown of costs each quarterly bill?
                We appointed a new Agent to manage the property and now only get one figure on the bill to be paid. Before we received a full breakdown of each item such as gardenng, lighting, insurance, postage etc
                They...
                20-08-2017, 17:49 PM
              • Reply to Breakdown of LA costs...
                leaseholder64
                Generally only the directors of a company have a right to the level of detail you would like. However, there is a strong moral case for providing it to members of an RMC, with the exception of details of exactly who is in arrears.

The model articles for RTM companies do allow members access...
                23-08-2017, 11:39 AM
                Landlord1206
                Thank you all for the advice.
                i have paid and will keep on top of this.
                i was asking for a budget v expenditure mid year just as a company would look at this monthly....to see how we are getting along with a view on the immediate future expectations of performance and my likely bills....
                23-08-2017, 10:47 AM
                MrSoffit
                Hi, as already said by leaseholder64, the reason you are in this situation as a Resident Management Company (ironic title eh?) is what sounds like a shower of 18 company members not working to help themselves. Laws cannot help apathetic, lazy humans. And sadly, as you are finding, one leaseholder has...
                23-08-2017, 10:07 AM
              Working...
              X