Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question...

Hi all,

When a council authority are considering doing a stock transfer and setting up an arms-length organisation, are they legally compelled to invite their residents to vote for or against the transfer taking place? If so, do leaseholders also have to be invited to vote?

For an ALMO, no. It's not a stock transfer.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

When the transfer happened in this area six years ago, it was referred to as a 'stock transfer' in the paperwork. In short, XY Borough Council simply formed XY Homes and most of the staff in their housing team moved across to join the new setup.

However, at recent leaseholder meetings, many leaseholders have been kicking a s--t saying that when the vote about the transfer happened back in 2005 or 2006, leaseholders weren't invited to partake in this vote. I have no idea if this is true or not (it probably is), but I wondered if the council had to carry a vote out due to legal obligations or they merely did it to show that they're a kind and decent bunch of people who put their residents' feelings first.

Comment

It says on their site: "XY is a housing association which owns and manages around 5,600 rented homes, including 400 sheltered housing flats, as well as 1,100 leaseholder properties. It was set up in February 2008 following the successful ballot of tenants and leaseholders to transfer homes from XY Council. We are already delivering 96% of the five year promises made to customers..."

Comment

An ALMO is not a stock transfer- it is a change of management the ownership is retained.If XY homes as you say in one post is wholly owned by said council then it wasn't a stock transfer.

If it goes to an RSL eg XY HA, as you say in your second post, then it was a stock transfer which should have been voted on by the issue of an offer document to all leaseholders and tenants.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Breakdown of LA costs...
            Landlord1206
            As a LL am I able to insist on seeing the breakdown of costs each quarterly bill?
            We appointed a new Agent to manage the property and now only get one figure on the bill to be paid. Before we received a full breakdown of each item such as gardenng, lighting, insurance, postage etc
            They...
            20-08-2017, 17:49 PM
          • Reply to Breakdown of LA costs...
            leaseholder64
            It is the lessor for the long lease (often the freeholder) that should be providing the breakdown. You have to request it, and they may have up to six months to provide it. Your service charge demand should contain a statutory notice, explaining this and without that notice, the demand has the same...
            21-08-2017, 17:33 PM
          • Excessive Communual repair works - New Landlord
            samponsford.sp
            Hi There,

I'm hoping you can help. First time posting but getting desperate. I'm a part owner of 3 flats out of 4 that are situated above a takeaway in a building. Recently we have a new landlord who has paid to have a fire safety check completed and also an assessment of the external...
            21-08-2017, 12:26 PM
          • Reply to Excessive Communual repair works - New Landlord
            leaseholder64
            Section 20 notices are for works, not necessarily improvements.

Unless there is a long term contract in place, the first notice should precede the obtaining of quotes.

The lessor needs to reply. They have to respond within 21 days, but you only have 30 days to make observations....
            21-08-2017, 17:27 PM
            Landlord1206
            Thanks, it is for an entire block of 18 apartments. I am LL to one of these.
            21-08-2017, 17:25 PM
            HantsAgent
            Is this an agency managing a single residential property in which you have a tenant? Or is it an agent looking after the leasehold for a block of flats?
            21-08-2017, 10:06 AM
          • Ground rent rpi base
            landforce
            Hi.

Hopefully an easy question but does anyone know if when the ground rent is rpi linked is it from when the leasehold was set up or when you purchased the property. I.e if leasehold was set up in dec 12 but the property was purchased in Sept 13 is the base from dec12 or Sept 13?...
            20-08-2017, 08:48 AM
          • Reply to Ground rent rpi base
            landforce
            Thanks for the above . V useful knowledge there
            21-08-2017, 07:42 AM
          • Clarification on lease and recovering costs
            jerome_sw
            Please can someone clarify the meaning of this section of the lease;

"to indemnify the landlords against all costs charges and expenses (including legal costs and fees payable to any surveyor) which may be incurred or be borne by the landlords
            (a) in or in contemplation of any...
            20-08-2017, 11:45 AM
          • Reply to Clarification on lease and recovering costs
            jerome_sw
            We are due to attend the FTT on the breach of covenant so if they deem the breach to have occurred then I am thinking (b) could apply. In any event I think (c) would apply as the costs have been incurred in pursuing the leaseholder to remedy the breach and repair the property back to it's original state....
            20-08-2017, 20:37 PM
          Working...
          X