Building Insurance- the podcast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Insurance- the podcast

Lease has produced a podcast with Justin Bates, who I can say first hand is a very knowledgeable chap with bags of experience and a great advocate in these matters.

download here http://www.lease-advice.org/document..._insurance.mp3
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Hidden Admin Fees
    37eeyore
    My son is a leaseholder in an ex local authority flat that is now owned by a housing authority. I have recently been checking his service charge bill and received a summary of charges and copies of the repairs invoices. When I matched up the invoices to the summary I discovered that every invoice had...
    28-01-2017, 13:32 PM
  • Reply to Hidden Admin Fees
    andydd
    Aha.;.thanks leaseholder64, not something I'd come across before and explains the reference to UC by the FH/LL. I havnt read the document completely but it makes some sense, for example a Service Charge would normally cover repair costs, etc and you would expect UC to cover this amount BUT Service Charges...
    23-08-2017, 16:05 PM
    leaseholder64
    The real question is how do they come up with 15%. Splitting the excess over the fixed cost in proportion to input costs is a cheap way of meeting the UC apportionment conditions. That way, larger jobs will subsidise small ones, but that won't affect how much you actually pay. However, the 15% needs...
    23-08-2017, 14:30 PM
    37eeyore
    The lease says - all other costs incurred by the Landlord in or in connection with maintenance or management of the building. No fixed fee mentioned although, as I said, we pay a fixed management fee.

They have a qualifying long term agreement with a company to carry out all maintenance....
    23-08-2017, 13:59 PM
    leaseholder64
    Although the RICS guidelines (which may not apply in all cases to RSLs) recommend a fixed annual fee covering the basic service, and routine maintenance, they do accept that:

may be subject to additional charges, and 15% is in the right ball park. What they do say is that...
    23-08-2017, 13:48 PM
    37eeyore
    It's not the management fee I object to. This is a fixed amount that we pay every year and is clearly stated on the service charge demands. What I object to is the 15% admin fee they they add to every repair bill before they charge us. The figure for maintenance on the service charge demand is a lump...
    23-08-2017, 13:11 PM
    leaseholder64
    Looking further through the UC document, apportioning the management fee by input costs appears to be acceptable to the state.

Looking at the actual legislation, the general maintenance element is covered not just for shared ownership cases, so I think that painting is in. Ground floor...
    23-08-2017, 13:01 PM
    37eeyore
    Thanks for the in depth reply.
    I don't see how it affects the 15% admin fee they add on to invoices as these are only for repairs to the communal areas of the building. Everything else is included in the maintenance charges which don't have 15% added because they are covered by the management...
    23-08-2017, 12:52 PM
    leaseholder64
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...s-guidance.pdf is or was the rules for paying service charges out of universal credit.

Allowable charges are:

In category A, the only allowable charges are:

It is therefore necessary to separate communal...
    23-08-2017, 12:12 PM
    andydd
    Yes thats a standard catch all clause, mine has one too, but an FTT would look at it and only allow actual costs incurred to be recovered, they cant just make up an amount..it would allow a certain reasonable cost of management to be recovered, either self management or more likel;y the cost of employing...
    23-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Working...
X