Lease extension - calculator query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease extension - calculator query

I am in the early stages of buying a leasehold flat for £327,500. The lease has 79.5 years remaining and we have agreed that the vendor will serve a s42 notice and assign the benefit to me.

I am trying to assess how much I should budget for the premium payable for the lease extension. The ground rent is £100 for the first 33 years, £200 for the next 33 years and £400 for the final 33 years.

I have used sgclacy's threads (eg http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=11083) to estimate the premium payable and these are around the £10,500 mark, assuming that the flat is worth £370,000 following the lease extension and my calculations are correct - the £370,000 figure is my guess as to what it may be worth, based on other properties in the area.

However, when using other online calculators (such as http://www.tenancy-agreements.co.uk/lease.php) the premium is much higher.

I appreciate that the negotiation of a premium price is clearly dependent on the parties involved, but it would be useful to understand whether, if people have used sgclacy's formula in practice, this has been an accurate assessment of the premium payable or whether it is more likely a starting point for tenants for inclusion in the s42 notice?

I am planning to use a surveyor to assess the amount of premium to include in the notice, but, anticipating that the conveyance will be lengthy, would like to know how much to set aside for the premium for the time being (excluding all solicitor and surveyor costs).

Many thanks
    PH

I used sgclacy's formula to check the premium I had to pay to extend the lease of a flat I bought last year and for which the previous owner had served a section 42 notice prior to completion.

I initially took a surveyor who suggested a premium that was incorrect as he messed up the calculation and I spotted the error. I got the vendor to insert the figure suggested by my surveyor in the section 42 notice and the freeholder came back with a premium that was almost twice as much. I looked into my surveyor's calculations in detail and realised that he had messed them up. To verify the accuracy of the freeholder's premium, I used sgclacy's formula which was spot on (give or take £1k), which gave me some comfort that the freeholder was not ripping me off. I asked another surveyor to assess the premium (a friend of mine) and she advised roughly the same figure as the freeholder's.

So in my experience, sgclacy's formula is fairly accurate.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
      by divadee
      We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
      04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
    • Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
      by sgclacy
      Is the address of your managing agent the same as the address at the Land Registry for you as freeholder?

If you believe the figure offered is too low, you could have therefore regarded the notice as invalid and that is why you have not responded. They would then have to apply to the court...
      05-08-2020, 20:54 PM
    • Advise & Guidence
      by ontljoshi
      HI All,

previously, the forum has helped me.now i need bit more advise & guidence.

I bought my massionate in 2016 at 310500 with 125yrs lease to live in and don't know due to what circumstances I feel that it hasn't increased in the valuation.
      my question is are...
      05-08-2020, 15:38 PM
    • Reply to Advise & Guidence
      by ontljoshi
      As per lease - everyone supposed to maintain their frontages. The road is made private long time ago and there's no owners currently it is bona-vacatia now.
      05-08-2020, 19:10 PM
    • Section 20 process
      by Seluoy2
      I am one of 6 leaseholders in a block of 6 flats. We have had historic issues with the roof, our Community Interest Company changed from one managing agent (with a public history of failings) to another, both have carried out poor repairs in the past.

Before Christmas the current managing...
      04-08-2020, 09:05 AM
    • Reply to Section 20 process
      by Gordon999
      Usually the scaffolding is put up by the scaffolding rental company. The roof repair work will be done by roofing company who worker may not be aware of the scaffolding on site.
      05-08-2020, 18:14 PM
    • Reply to freeholder snuggling to recover arrears
      by Gordon999
      Here is the website giving rules on claiming interest at the small claims court.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...k-out-interest
      05-08-2020, 18:07 PM
    • freeholder snuggling to recover arrears
      by Tim_woods
      Hi All,

I have a leaseholder that constantly refuses to pay service charges and ground rent. I’ve had endless court cases but they are slow and I’ve then struggled to get court fees back which have been added to everyone’s service charges including mine!

I’ve decided...
      03-08-2020, 14:54 PM
    • Freeholder in Administration
      by Mel A
      I am representing a group of investors in a property where the developer/freeholder has gone into administration. Two questions - does the administrator now technically own the freehold? and can they demand payment for repairs to the building that the freeholder should have carried out in order to protect...
      05-08-2020, 17:22 PM
    • Reply to Freeholder in Administration
      by Gordon999
      You can check online at Land Registry website for the name of current freeholder of your building. You may have to pay £3 by credit card to download. Also check the listing of company at Companies House website.
      05-08-2020, 17:57 PM
    Working...
    X