Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let and lease

I am a long leaseholder and my lease says the following:
    permitted user of demised premises..has right to go pass and repass over and through and along the Common Parts....provided always the Lessors shall have the right temporarily to close or divert any of the Common Parts and the right to let garages or garage spaces." The garages are shown as common parts on plan of my lease.

My question is: is there a legal distinction between let and lease? The freeholders have sold a number of the garages on 250year and 999 year leases, and proposing to do the same for all of them. If there is a difference in law re let and lease, then can I stop them doing this?

The freehold co is awful, so any way I can make life difficult for them, would be good!!!! Also I suspect this is the start of taking over other common parts, eg using clause above in that they can temporarily close or divert Common parts!!! What do you reckon "temporary" means in terms of timescale?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
    by flyingfreehold
    Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
    21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
  • Reply to collective enfranchisement
    by flyingfreehold
    at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
    21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
  • Building works & S20 process
    by RichA
    Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
    21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
  • Reply to Building works & S20 process
    by scot22
    It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
    21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
  • Reply to collective enfranchisement
    by Tipper
    Ask lease-advice.org
    21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
  • Reply to Levy
    by scot22
    Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
    21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
  • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
    by Macromia
    They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
    21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
  • Reply to Changes to lease wording
    by Lawcruncher
    If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
    21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
  • Changes to lease wording
    by bigalxyz
    In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

ÔÇťAre there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
    14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
  • Reply to Levy
    by Macromia
    ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
    21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
Working...
X