Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with leaseholder

Hi,
    I am a freeholder of a two flat property which forms a converted terraced house. I returned from work today to find that the leaseholder had replaceda downpipe on the property without my knowledge or permission, which is in breach of the leasehold agreement He got his window cleaner to do this, andof course, the chap has bodged it. He has broken 8-10 of the tiles on the exterior wall of my property, exposing brickwork and gaps, and also the
    lathes below on which they hung, which will, of course, allow water to get in. The leaseholder stated he was not there at the time, which is a lie, hewas. and that the window cleaner will return on Sunday to 'repair' the damage. I have told him that under no circumstances is this man to do any thing further to my property. I am now going to get a qualified builder to repair the damage to the property. My question is - what legally can I do about this?

It depends if the rainwater is yours as freeholder to repair or his as leaseholder. Either way the work and the associated damage to the rest of the building has to be rectified by either his failure to repair to an adequate standard,as a beach of the lease or ( which applies to the rest of the building) damage as trespass.

I'd wager a "tupnee bun to a pound of ripe bananas" the window cleaner does not return and if he does, as he made the errors in the first place, discuss what he proposes to gauge if he can actually repair satisfactorily.

Then you can revert and let us know.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

The rainwater downpipe, I suppose is mine! It was not damaged and therefore did not need replacing. In the leasehold agreement, it states that any repair needed - defect etc... must be reported to me and I am to repair/replace.It is damage by trespass - good phrase - I hadn't thought of it like that. I have forbidden the 'window cleaner' to return and have told the leaseholder he will pay for the damage to my flat! So far - no reply.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X