Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dispute with repairs charges levied by F-Management company

Please could anyone advise.
    I have been in dispute with charges for repairs. This was for a front door step with a single brick loose. This was charged at £246 for work which entailed concreting the whole of the step. I have refused to pay this apart from a token payment of £10 for reasons of the verbal quote I had was a cost of £40 and my liable of 25% of this.
    While this dispute is going on the FMC have levied interest charges to my account.

Q1. Could the step repair be argued that this was not a repair but an improvement and are they allowed to do this.
    Q2. Could I be right in refusing to pay interest charges on grounds that the FMC clearly know there is a dispute ongoing which when questioned, FMC fail to answer satisfactory.

A step repair does indeed sound like a repair from the info. youve provided and not an improvement.

£246 x 4 = £984 which does sound quite a bit but not beyond realms of possibility.

What does the lease say ?. Does it allow one-off service charge payments ?. Or only annual ones, i.e every January or whatever ?

Does the lease allow interest to be charged on late payments ?. (Assuming that they are actually late).

What questions have you asked the FMC ?. Have you requested a Summary under S22 or you could visit and insopect the documents (incluidng the actual bill/s for the repair) under S22 of Landlord & Tenant Act 1985.

Of course an LVT would be the legal avenue but prob not worth it for a small amount.

Andy
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Is the service charge proportion split equally between the 4 leaseholders? If not, it is likely that s.20 consultation was required before the works were carried out

Comment

I thinks it's £264 total. Rendering over a step sounds like a sensible approach to re-bedding a brick and stopping water penetration which was the likely cause of the loose step.

£40 is a low low price and frankly while a handy man type may be able to charge that, its not a benchmark for a fair and reasonable price.

What bothers me more is that you are saying that this the bill you have been given.

Do check your lease as one off bills now and then are rarely allowed under lease, and any bills must be accompanied with certain information.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X