• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andydd
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolseley57 View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

I havent had a chance to locate my deeds and determine what the actual text says re 'no pets'.

I agree that what my tenant says re the dogs being on leads/not barking or fouling etc and what acually happens in the property may be different.

I do suspect however, given previous history with the Freeholder, that this may be a method to generate extra income.

If I apply to the Freeholder for permission, can he charge for approval and if so, is there any guidance about what may considered a reasonable charge?
    Hereya go..this is the page you need, > http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/publi...pyies-of-deeds although as mentioned, others such as your conveyancer/solicitor may have a copy and no doubt the freeholder does which he must supply as evidence as part of a court claim but it would prob be too late at that stage.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholdanswers
    replied

I havent had a chance to locate my deeds and determine what the actual text says re 'no pets'.

I agree that what my tenant says re the dogs being on leads/not barking or fouling etc and what acually happens in the property may be different.

I do suspect however, given previous history with the Freeholder, that this may be a method to generate extra income.

If I apply to the Freeholder for permission, can he charge for approval and if so, is there any guidance about what may considered a reasonable charge?
    Yes there are controls on reasonable fees which can be determined by the LVT where there is a dispute.

Leave a comment:

• Wolseley57
    replied

Leave a comment:

• leaseholdanswers
    replied
    The tenant has a dog which I do not object to.
    Which is your overriding mistake- your objection is irrelevant, you have a contract -the lease- that says you will not have pets unless with consent. You made an agreement with the tenant when you agreed with the landlord not to do so.

You cannot rely on
    There have been no noise / nuisance complaints from the leaseholders or occupants of the other flats in the block.
    as you don't know who may have complained to the landlord, in confidence, and wants to avoid direct conflict with a neighbour and their tame Wolf , or despite your tenant seeming like nice person, is happy to let it roam outside doing what dogs do, while assuring you it is leashed.

The subject of consent was considered recently and the decision related that as long as the landlord considered the issue of consent reasonably, it is likely to be upheld as a breach of the lease. While obtaining forfeiture is unlikely, it is likely to result is considerable legal costs and then an application to the court to order the removal, again at your cost.

Your only hope is to discuss with the landlord why they object and see if you can reach a compromise or understand if issues arose, and otherwise, to challenge it however, the LVT and the courts seem to favour the landlords.

Leave a comment:

• dant
    replied
    I have this in my leasehold flat and to be frank, although there is a clear stipulation for no dogs, a fair few lessee's keep them. It's really on the understanding that it won't cause noise or disruption which, to date, hasn't been a problem.

As andydd says, the exact wording will help to interpret whether the FH has a right to decide whether your tenant's dog is kept at the property or not. You / your conveyancing solicitor will have a copy, and so should your mortgage company (if you have a mortgage, of course).

Leave a comment:

• andydd
    replied
    What is the EXACT wording in the lease regarding pets ?, If you havnt got a copy visit the Land Registry site to buy one.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• nobody
    replied
    The action the freeholder can take is to forfiet your lease, Make no mistake you dont want to be at the recieving end of such an action.

The Freeholder is responsable for the quiet a safe environment of the development and the leaasors obligations of the lease which states no pets, A hamster wouldnt be an issue but dogs thats something else.

The problem with dogs they need walking daily and they do make noise and need a lot of looking after, I like dogs but my mum is absolutly petrified of them so if my mum owned a flat in this development and was confrunted ba a dog this would be a problem and it could become a problem for the freeholder too.

The freeholder is inbetween a rock and a hard place here, Risk problems if its left or cause problems for you and your tenant.
    You need to get rid of the dog or get consent from the freeholder ASAP

If you try and get consent from the freeholder be very polite as you are asking a big favour and the freeholder will need gaurentees that its properly looked after and if any complaint for whatever reason is made the dog or both the dog and tenant will be removed ASAP and details how this will be done, Dont bluff if you state something and the freeholder still says no then you must act as stated.

Dont leave it sort it one way or another remove the dog or get consent and keep the freeholder informed how thing pan out to prevent any forfieture actions.

Leave a comment:

• Wolseley57
    started a topic Leaseholder / Freeholder Legal Advice Sought

Leaseholder / Freeholder Legal Advice Sought

Hello, I am a new member to the LandlordZone, so hopefully someone can provide me with some legal advice.

I own a Leasehold flat which i rent to my tennant. The tennant has a dog which i do not object to. There have been no noise / nuisance complaints from the leaseholders or occupants of the other flats in the block.

The Freeholder has written to me in quite an agressive tone saying that as the Lease states 'no pets without written consent', that I am in breach of my lease and if the dogs are not gone within a week, they will take further action.

What action, in reality, is possible by the Freeholder and i do nothing, ie i dont ask the tennant to remove the dogs? Thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X