Are Site Staff areas liabile for "Rates"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Site Staff areas liabile for "Rates"

I received a call this morning (while inspecting a newly laid roof and signing it with my footprints) from an old friend and former colleague.

He asked me about whether I have had the same experience, and I had to agree that I had. Two local authorities have started to poke around new builds and up scale blocks/mansion blocks to enquire about staff welfare and office areas for the purposes of taxing them.

While some "offices" are no more than a desk and partitions, broom cupboards without the brooms, as well as exercises in ego by the staff, some are larger and bespoke affairs. While an onsite PM is one thing, many are more modest affairs, in between a suite and a broom closet.

For those agents who do contribute here, I wonder what your experience and thoughts are?
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Clearly the broom cupboards and cleaners/meter room are not "residential units" which therefore have occupiers who are liable to Council Tax.

Normally these parts of the building are NOT approved areas with planning consent and access to the public ( like shops ) FOR conducting business and be subject to business rates.

Comment

If it's in Newham that will be fine, because they are going to spend their staff time licensing good landlords and good tenants, to help take the dodgy shedlords out of business.

Er ...

ML
      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

It seems that they are exploiting what G refers to is the lack of planning and therefore established use, as well as in newer builds where they were planned, but consents do not have them as exclusively for the use of ancillary purposes to the main use of the building.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

My development's management company has had to close it's little 'office', more of a bolthole when on site than an office frankly, due to the local council deeming it rateable and demanding payment of business rates.

We now have a store room with kitchen, toilet and telephone! Also used as a contractor's mess room and loo.

(Actually I think the MA made an error in declaring it as one of its own many offices. As the MC only has one 'office' it should be rate free at the moment anyway. Unfortunately once our public servants(?) get their teeth into something they won't let go. Just who do they work for?)

Comment

Originally posted by Tipper View Post

We now have a store room with kitchen, toilet and telephone! Also used as a contractor's mess room and loo.
            hopefully not in the same room- although that might make it quite efficient.

All public employees are servants of the Crown or enabling legislation by Crown order. Government national or local are merely managers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X