Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 20 for Decent Home Standard compliance

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of buying a repossession flat where the freeholder is the Council of Lambeth.

I have been informed that there is a S20 notice that is going to get shortly in the second stage. It estimates at the moment £3600 for external decoration in order to meet the Decent Home Standard.

Do you think is there any way to challenge that? My understanding of the Decent Home Standard is limited to the property, and not to external decorations. Also the notice has been issued before my acquisition of the lease (contracts have not been exchanged yet), is this another way I could tackle this?

You have no right to challenge until you become the owner of the leasehold flat. But if you think the cost of external decoration is unacceptable, then you should not be buying the flat.

Comment

No the DH applies to exterior works too- no point doing an internal refurbishment if the roof leaks or the
      windows are rotten.

Be glad they are doing it, in many cases these works are long delayed and the windows are rotten the building a shambles, and you have trouble attracting tenants of nay quality.

Even after you purchase it you can still challenge the costs being fair and reasonable. But be warned LVT's are usually sympathetic to councils except in the cases of manifest cock ups.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

You have been informed about this and you have the option to pull out or still buy, Since the flat should be better after these works which you will benefit from its a fair choice,

If you are put off a bit you could ask the vender for a reduction in the purchas price lets say £2k to offset these costs, No harm asking.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
          by flyingfreehold
          Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
          21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
        • Reply to collective enfranchisement
          by flyingfreehold
          at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
          21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
        • Building works & S20 process
          by RichA
          Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
          21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
        • Reply to Building works & S20 process
          by scot22
          It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
          21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
        • Reply to collective enfranchisement
          by Tipper
          Ask lease-advice.org
          21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
        • Reply to Levy
          by scot22
          Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
          21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
        • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
          by Macromia
          They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
          21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
        • Reply to Changes to lease wording
          by Lawcruncher
          If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
          21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
        • Changes to lease wording
          by bigalxyz
          In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
          14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
        • Reply to Levy
          by Macromia
          ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
          21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
        Working...
        X