Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long leaseholder not paying the bills

hi

i am the freeholder landlord of a property which has a shop and long leasehold flat upstairs. there is just 1 electric supply. the flat is sublet on AST by the long leaseholder. his tenant left with an electric bill. the leaseholder refuses to pay for the bill upstairs. the long lease for the flat clearly states that the leaseholder is responsible for the bills of the flat and yet he wont pay.

as a freeholder can i do anything and what pls

regards

burket ali

So the electricity supply is for both the shop and flat ?. This doesnt sound satisfactory, what does the lease say about this ?.

Andy
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Unless you signed the AST where you and the AST tenant agreed that they would be responsible for the electricity, then the terms of the lease, as per your post, stand.

Whatever the flat oner and their tenant agreed is between them, not you. Letter before action and then a money claim.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Why is this even your problem?

The flat isnt owned by you and you are not supplied any electricity by this meter, only the leasehold flat is, unless i misread the post. If so, then you dont need to concern yourself as you have no liability

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X