Three party lease - for service charge demands, who is the landlord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three party lease - for service charge demands, who is the landlord?

I have a three party lease between freeholder, resident management co ltd and lessee.
    Ground rent demands collected by agent of freeholder and are sent in the correct format.
    RMCo uses Managing Agent to manage building and to collect service charge monies.
    Service charge demands contain the name of the RMCo Ltd as being the landlord. Is this correct?

I am aware of Beitov vs Elliston Martin, but am unsure of how this fits with 3 party leases. ARMA's briefing note (no. A17 May 21st 2012) states "if the service charge is payable to the management party then it is the name and address of that party or RMCo that is required"

The managing agent says this is correct because the RMCo is the 'de facto' landlord.
    This seems absurd, but is it in fact correct?

TIA

Cent

The definition of landlord is extended from someone with a landed interest to " the person in control" in a number of situations, in this case contractually under the lease, , as well as under statute, as being the landlord.

However each lease should be carefully reviewed as to the precise arrangement. It is where the landlord and the RMC responsibilities have been blurred or are not truly 3 party that this may not apply. EG where the RMC covenants only with the landlord and not with the tenant.

Unless your lease is unusual then the advice and position taken is correct.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks or your reply.

But, the RMCo is not "in control" - it cannot arrange buildings insurance on our behalf, it cannot give consent for alterations etc. Its only power is to collect s/c and to maintain the building either by self management or by appointing a MA.

Comment

Originally posted by Century View Post
        Thanks or your reply.

But, the RMCo is not "in control" - it cannot arrange buildings insurance on our behalf, it cannot give consent for alterations etc. Its only power is to collect s/c and to maintain the building either by self management or by appointing a MA.
        Then for those matters it is the person in control, and not for the omitted items of insurance and alterations.

As I said in the earlier post each lease has to be clearly reviewed,and your lease is an example.

In placing and demanding insurance as a rent or service charge the landlord would have to send out a demand with the summary of rights and section 47/48 notification. In dealing with alteration they would have to provide the summary for admin charges and any costs invoiced with the Section 47/48 notification.

It may be that your lease may go further and treat you as an agent and not as a true third party with covenants to both tenant and freeholder.

Irrespective of the address and identity of the landlord, anyone drafting a claim, LBA or proceedings will read the lease and quickly eventide on whom to serve notice and for what matters, to the extent that they are liable.

This situation is not uncommon and it all turns on the lease.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Century View Post
          Thanks or your reply.

If you find the insurance arranged by freeholder is excessively overcharged , you can set up a RTM company to legally claim the arranging of buildings insurance from the freeholder and give it to the RMCo to handle.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S168
            by Anna1985
            I think I would be soon, although the application would be made in joint freeholder names
            23-09-2020, 18:58 PM
          • S168
            by Anna1985
            How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
            Thanks...
            25-08-2019, 18:30 PM
          • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
            by Anna1985
            Your windows should be covered by Fensa for 10 years, the window installer is under obligation to get them fixed Once Fensa confirms it is their cost. Oh the miracles that could happen when the installer knows they are responsible for all associated costs good luvk
            23-09-2020, 18:56 PM
          • Responsibility of window frames
            by charlie8899
            Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
            23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
          • Reply to RTM Company secretary
            by scot22
            Is he owed money ? Ask him for detailed proof.

Pay him ?
            23-09-2020, 17:40 PM
          • RTM Company secretary
            by Andrew Clark
            We wish to change the RTM Company Secretary from our legacy managing agent to our new managing agent, the legacy agent will not complete the online authentication code until he is paid what he says he is owed. Thoughts on ways around this
            23-09-2020, 08:02 AM
          • Reply to Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
            by scot22
            Formally notify him that you believe that he is in breach of the lease and given him a time limit to complete repairs.

If he doesn't then his sale can be blocked.
            23-09-2020, 17:39 PM
          • Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
            by batterseaboy
            Hi, we are a house divided into three flats. Each flat leasheolder also owns 1/3 of the freehold company and serves as a director.

When the top floor flat was given permission to extend his flat the variation stipulated that he would be solely responsible for any issues with the extension...
            23-09-2020, 16:43 PM
            by royw
            I've recently had Windows replaced and they did the upstairs from inside. If scaffold isn't required it will be a lot cheaper.
            23-09-2020, 16:37 PM
            by AndrewDod
            I suspect if you took it to Tribunal they would say you are responsible for the frames.
            It mentions glass separately. And words the doors sort of in parallel.

In a way it would be cheaper in the long run for you to take this responsibility. Just make sure it applies to all flats not...
            23-09-2020, 14:01 PM
          Working...
          X