X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thevaliant
    replied
    My understanding would be that:
    1. I don't think costs of flights etc dealing with your flat is reclaimable from anyone. It was presumably Flat B's choice to live overseas? The excess however should be reclaimable from the Landlord (of the building) who would recharge this to Flat A lessee.
    2. I don't think so, except to the extent of the excess.

Leave a comment:

• 40RSMCL
    started a topic Responsibility for expenses arising from water damage

Responsibility for expenses arising from water damage

I would appreciate any advice and information!

Flat A instructed a plumber to remove a water tank, the tank forming part of the demised area of Flat A. Landlord consent had not been sought nor given for this removal, although the Lease requires consent to be obtained before commencing works.

A few hours following the tank removal, the mains water pressure caused an old join in the existing pipework within Flat A to break, and water escaped for several hours, filling the flat below, Flat B.

There was extensive damage in Flat B, and apart from the insurance excess, the insurance have paid up for the claim for making good the damage.

What has not been paid has been extensive additional costs that arose, as the owner of Flat B lives overseas, and is seeking the costs of the flights made to the UK during the time it has taken to do the works required in Flat B, along with claiming the insurance excess.

1] Who is responsible for paying these costs and the excess, and if it is Flat A, how should the owner of Flat B claim these?
    and
    2] Is the Landlord in any way responsible for any costs?

Your response and advice is appreciated

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Unauthorised lease variation
    by Macromia
    Unfortunately I still have no idea real understanding of what the problem is, or what it is that you feel that you need to achieve - because you're not explaining this.

Let's be clear:
    The lease has NOT been varied - so you can forget about that idea.
    15-07-2020, 06:25 AM
  • Unauthorised lease variation
    by Stacker
    Lease requires all leaseholders to pay lessor service charges for insurance so sneaky managing agent tried to get leaseholders to pay broker directly which is an unusual arrangement where its not landlord and tenant and insurance is not paid via service charges to lessor.Could this be classed as an...
    13-07-2020, 23:14 PM
  • Reply to Application to the FTT for determination of breach of covenant?
    by Stacker
    Also if managing agent is refusing to take action report them to their own property redress scheme Ombudsman..
    15-07-2020, 04:07 AM
  • Application to the FTT for determination of breach of covenant?
    by Tw1982
    Hi Guys,

Wanted to start a separate post with a few legal queries regarding applications to the FTT for a formal determination for a breach of covenant.

Firstly, is it called the FTT (LVT) or the property chamber? We know its changed names quite a few times, but would like...
    13-07-2020, 18:51 PM
  • Reply to Application to the FTT for determination of breach of covenant?
    by Stacker
    Is the freeholder in a company name? At the FTT a freeholder or its directors and or managing agent would normally bring a claim for determination for breach of lease against a leaseholder. For a leaseholders to bring a claim for breach of covenant you could possibly bring a claim if you are a member...
    15-07-2020, 04:02 AM
  • Reply to RTM bank account recommendation
    by Gordon999
    try opening a non-profit service charge account with HSBC .It must be called "RTM Client account".
    14-07-2020, 21:00 PM
  • RTM bank account recommendation
    by docdavis3
    Hi all. I am a director of a new RTM company and am looking to set up a company bank account to recieve service fees and pay for maintenance services etc. I have applied for a Tide account but am getting the sort of push back that feels like they don't want our business (it may be legitimate requirements...
    14-07-2020, 20:34 PM
    by Stacker
    There is a duty of care the insurance broker and managing agent owes this to its client so not undertaking due diligence and doing deals with unregulated managing agents is against the FCA and Company Act 2006..breach of contract negligence and breach of fiduciary duty the managing agent is also the...
    14-07-2020, 20:37 PM
    by Stacker
    As we are all aware the lease is a relationship between landlord and tenant. The lease is a contract with obligations and rights on both sides to observe and perform the covenants...so no managing agent or board can go against the lease even if agreed unanimously....to go against the lease is to induce...
    14-07-2020, 20:32 PM
    by Macromia
    How does it. breach the lease?
    This is something that you still haven't explained (either here, or when you brought the subject up in an earlier thread)....
    14-07-2020, 19:28 PM
Working...
X