grounds for new management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grounds for new management

i just had a phone call from the debt collectors (not sure how they got my mobile number) that my landowner has not paid the water bill for some years. We are in a victorian building and their are no seperate meters.

found out a few other interstings facts like he own 20 other properties and owes reasonable amounts on all of them.

they are looking to take court action against him. he may have to seel one of his properties or his new BMW to pay.

can i use this evidence to show that he should not be allowed to manage my building any more?

I now also suspect that we have no insurance on the building can i ring the insurance company as one of the leaseholders and ask this of them. The landlord never bothers to reply to any requests.

he owns 3/4 of the flats in the building so i cannot get together with any one else on this.

Originally posted by moocow View Post
    i just had a phone call from the debt collectors (not sure how they got my mobile number) that my landowner has not paid the water bill for some years. We are in a victorian building and their are no seperate meters.

found out a few other interstings facts like he own 20 other properties and owes reasonable amounts on all of them.

they are looking to take court action against him. he may have to seel one of his properties or his new BMW to pay.

can i use this evidence to show that he should not be allowed to manage my building any more?

I now also suspect that we have no insurance on the building can i ring the insurance company as one of the leaseholders and ask this of them. The landlord never bothers to reply to any requests.

he owns 3/4 of the flats in the building so i cannot get together with any one else on this.
    You could- but you'd need a Court order (v. expensive).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

could i use this with other evidence when i go to the LVT?
      how are they likely to regard it?

Comment

As a leaseholder, you can send a written request ( by recorded delivery) for a summary of the building insurance cover and get this within 30 days . Its a duty placed on the freeholder under the Landlord & Tenant Act and failure to reply it becomes a criminal offence . You can report the offence to a Magistrate Court where a fine will be imposed up to 2500 pounds.

Are you paying service charge to cover both the building insurance and water ? If the water bill is under the name of the landlord, then the debt collector should be chasing the account holder - Not you!

You can get free advice from the Leasehold Advisory Service about going to the LVT.

Comment

Do you have a long lease that you have bought or are you just an assured shorthold tenant?

If you have a long lease you should be paying Council tax just for your flat and I would have expected the Water Company to have a separate account on their system just for your flat.

Usually even with short term tenancies the Landlord wants to unload liability for utilities on the tenant so this is surprising and evidence of a very dozey landlord!
          RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

we have a 990 year lease. we do not rent the flat.

yes we pay council tax, we always have as it is our flat and seperate.

we cannot get a water company to even look at dividing up the water as we are in a victorian building that is in a terrace so connected to the other buildings in the street. it would be a lot of work to do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X