Can the leasse take the freeholder to court?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the leasse take the freeholder to court?

I have paid in protest service charges which i disputed, can I now take the LL to the small claims court and recover the disputed service charge?

No.

You need to apply to the L.V.T. (Leasehold Valuation Tribunal ) to
    assertain if service charges were "reasonably" incurred.
    Then if they rule in your favour, you can then go to the small claims
    court and sue for the return of monies oweing.

Leasehold matters are very complicated, as you wil have read on here.
    And any claims made in the small claims will get passed over to
    the experts at the L.V.T. to rule on the mountain of rules, regulatons,
    what it says in your lease, before a decision can be made if your
    service charges were Legal, reasonable, payable, done / not done
    under S20 rules, etc etc.

You must read your lease and many other items before you embark
    on the L.V.T. route.

Just saying I think we are paying too much, without quotes, etc will
    not stand up in court.

L.V.T. have downloadable forms to claim.

Not lvt site, but visit here
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...ties/DG_191691

R.a.M.

Comment

Generally the answer is yes....and It';s something I have been quite succesful in.

Did your payment mention you were paying by under protest, an LVT cant judicate over any amount that has previously been admitted or agreed but it does go on to say that payment is not admission but its best to add words to that effect.

So you can dispute amounts which either are not payable under the lease or if they are payable that they are excessive or unreasonable in amount.

You can either start it in a County Court and ask (in your allocation questionaire) that it be reffered to an LVt or apply directly to an LVT.

Strictly speaking the CC stage is not neccasary, BUT you may need it for enforcement, I started a case directly at an LVT but had to apply to a CC after becuase they freeholder didnt refund amounts, although the LVt were far from helpful and a bit vague over exactly what should be refunded.

Its worth reading through previous LVT cases here > http://www.lease-advice.org/lvtdecis...es.asp?table=2 theres now nearly 8000 to read through, this will give you an idea of how they work and maybe your freeholder is a regular visitor.

Unfortunatly LVT's are a bit inconsistent in their decisions and if you want to use case law you should (if you can) refer to High Court Cases or the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) - Where you appeal to from LVT > http://www.landstribunal.gov.uk/Aspx/Default.aspx

It is also worth checking whether your lease allows your freeholder to recover legal fees (even if he loses in court/lvt!), if so make sure you make an S20C application too.

Andy
      Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
        by flyingfreehold
        Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
        21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
      • Reply to collective enfranchisement
        by flyingfreehold
        at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
        21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
      • Building works & S20 process
        by RichA
        Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
        21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
      • Reply to Building works & S20 process
        by scot22
        It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
        21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
      • Reply to collective enfranchisement
        by Tipper
        Ask lease-advice.org
        21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
      • Reply to Levy
        by scot22
        Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
        21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
      • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
        by Macromia
        They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
        21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
      • Changes to lease wording
        by bigalxyz
        In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

ÔÇťAre there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
        14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
      • Reply to Changes to lease wording
        by Lawcruncher
        If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
        21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
      • Reply to Levy
        by Macromia
        ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
        21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
      Working...
      X