Freehold reversioner (flats) refuses to carry out services

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Freehold reversioner (flats) refuses to carry out services

    I own a converted flat in an old Victorian house. The flat is leasehold. My problem is that the freeholder has absolutely no interest whatsoever in the upkeep of the building. The communal areas (stairwell, landing) are in desperate need of decorating, carpets are filthy, the communal front door does not lock, the driveway and parking areas are full of potholes, fence panels are falling down, there is a leak in the roof above the stairwell etc etc.

    The plus side is that he charges no ground rent or maintenance charge. To be honest though I would rather pay a maintenance charge and have him look after the building than be in the situation we are in. He seems to be happy to let the building deteriorate and wants nothing to do with it.

    Any ideas on how I can force him to spend some money on the place!?? Do I threaten him with legal action (how easy is it to back that up if he ignores me?)?

    I thought about contacting my mortgage company as he is ultimately devaluing my property, therefore it must be of concern to them too. Any thoughts?

    If anyone has been in a similar situation or has some ideas I would be grateful for any advice.
    Many thanks!!

    I don't think there is much you can do without the co-operation of other leaseholders. If you are all in the same position regarding maintenance matters then there is nothing to stop you having work done and share the costs, as ultimately it will maintain the value of the individiual flats. The freeholder will not necessaily have any obligation to maintain or repair and you should look at the conditions within your leases to see what it says on this subject.

    If the landlord does indeed have an obligation concerning repairs then you can ask the Local Authority to serve Notice on him, who can also enforce the Notice if necessary.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


    Latest Activity