Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share of Freehold costs

Hi All,

This is the first time I am using this forum so here goes!!
    I currently live in a converted church where there are about 34 flats. The majority are interested in owning a share of the freehold and I am keen to get involved.

Does anyone know roughly how much this will cost as I have read various threads on this. I pay £50/annum ground rent

Pls help as I really need to know this asap

Thanks
    Amanda

As you have not mentioned having shares in the company that own
    the freehold, or that any of the 34 flats are Directors of the company
    that owns the freehold, then you probsbly can't get a share of the
    freehold.

In your case, the freeholder will OWN the building, and how much
    is that worth ?

Look at your lease as to who the "Lessor" is, who is probably
    the freeholder.
    There may be the freeholder, the Managing company, and the
    Freeholdr / Managing company have farmed out the running of the
    place to a Managing agent ( estate type agent, as found on the
    high street )

Unless your articles of association state you can become members,
    then you will probably not be able to become a "Member of the Company"
    ( who is often the freeholder )

I wont go into "The right to manage" or "enfranchisement" as others
    can advise you, once they know ---why you want to get involved.

If you want to get involved because you think service charges are
    too high, or no maintenence gets done, then please state.

Remember that being a member of the freehold company does NOT
    reduce service charges, as your lease will state " to keep in good
    repair and maintained"

You have other means to get things done, and to see the service
    charge accounts.

Can you tell all of us your reasons for wanting a share in the freehold,
    in detail.

R.a.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Amandab123 View Post
      Hi All,

This is the first time I am using this forum so here goes!!
      I currently live in a converted church where there are about 34 flats. The majority are interested in owning a share of the freehold and I am keen to get involved.

Does anyone know roughly how much this will cost as I have read various threads on this. I pay £50/annum ground rent

Pls help as I really need to know this asap

Thanks
      Amanda
      1. Are you ( all 34 flats ) paying same 50 pds annual ground rent under a 99 year or 125 year ? What year did the leases start ? and does the annual ground rent increase every 25 or 33 years ? What is the current market value of the property ? Just quoting 50 pds ground rent is not enough info to estimate the cost of freehold.

2. The name of the freeholder and address for receiving legal notices is shown on the annual ground rent bill - is it same as the Lessor in your lease ? You can check the name of the current freeholder by purchase of copy of freehold title for your address ( 4 pds by credit card ) from Land Registry .

3. A "lease" is just a long term rental agreement and lessee is the tenant whereas the freeholder is the owner of the building and land within the boundary of the estate.

4. The freehold title must be purchased as a whole and atleast 18 flat owners ( mjority of leaseholders) can get together and purchase the freehold title under company name. ( called freehold enfranchisement procedure ). You can download a free guide from www.lease-advice.org

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
        by divadee
        We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
        04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
      • Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
        by sgclacy
        Is the address of your managing agent the same as the address at the Land Registry for you as freeholder?

If you believe the figure offered is too low, you could have therefore regarded the notice as invalid and that is why you have not responded. They would then have to apply to the court...
        05-08-2020, 20:54 PM
      • Reply to Advise & Guidence
        by ontljoshi
        As per lease - everyone supposed to maintain their frontages. The road is made private long time ago and there's no owners currently it is bona-vacatia now.
        05-08-2020, 19:10 PM
      • Advise & Guidence
        by ontljoshi
        HI All,

previously, the forum has helped me.now i need bit more advise & guidence.

I bought my massionate in 2016 at 310500 with 125yrs lease to live in and don't know due to what circumstances I feel that it hasn't increased in the valuation.
        my question is are...
        05-08-2020, 15:38 PM
      • Section 20 process
        by Seluoy2
        I am one of 6 leaseholders in a block of 6 flats. We have had historic issues with the roof, our Community Interest Company changed from one managing agent (with a public history of failings) to another, both have carried out poor repairs in the past.

Before Christmas the current managing...
        04-08-2020, 09:05 AM
      • Reply to Section 20 process
        by Gordon999
        Usually the scaffolding is put up by the scaffolding rental company. The roof repair work will be done by roofing company who worker may not be aware of the scaffolding on site.
        05-08-2020, 18:14 PM
      • Reply to freeholder snuggling to recover arrears
        by Gordon999
        Here is the website giving rules on claiming interest at the small claims court.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...k-out-interest
        05-08-2020, 18:07 PM
      • freeholder snuggling to recover arrears
        by Tim_woods
        Hi All,

I have a leaseholder that constantly refuses to pay service charges and ground rent. I’ve had endless court cases but they are slow and I’ve then struggled to get court fees back which have been added to everyone’s service charges including mine!

I’ve decided...
        03-08-2020, 14:54 PM
      • Freeholder in Administration
        by Mel A
        I am representing a group of investors in a property where the developer/freeholder has gone into administration. Two questions - does the administrator now technically own the freehold? and can they demand payment for repairs to the building that the freeholder should have carried out in order to protect...
        05-08-2020, 17:22 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder in Administration
        by Gordon999
        You can check online at Land Registry website for the name of current freeholder of your building. You may have to pay £3 by credit card to download. Also check the listing of company at Companies House website.
        05-08-2020, 17:57 PM
      Working...
      X