Freeholder Consent for Loft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeholder Consent for Loft

This concerns the top flat of a two storey house split into two. I would be grateful for advice concerning the interpretation of the wording in the lease.

The lease contains the following regarding consent:

Not to make any alteration in or addition to the premises without the consent of the lessors

What, if any, fees is the freeholder allowed to charge for his consent?

There shall be deemed in the premises the roof of the messuage

Does this wording permit loft extensions? And will the freeholder be able to charge if I do convert the loft?

Many thanks.

Further to my opening post, below in italics is the exact wording taken from the lease:

THE LESSORS HEARBY DEMISE unto the Lessee ALL THAT the first floor flat including the staircase leading thereto form the entrance passageway and the door and the doorway giving access to such staircase from the communal area and the staircase at the rear of the building and the general structure of the building co-extensive with the first floor flat and including the roof and the floor boards (but excluding the ceiling of the lower flat) known as first floor flat …the whole building being hereinafter called ‘the messuage’) which demised premises are hearinafter called ‘the premises’ and…

THE LESSEE HEARBY COVENANTS with the Lessors as follows:

8) Not to make any alteration in or addition to the premises without the consent of the Lessors

9) Not during the said term without previously obtaining the written consent of the Lessors to carry out any operation or institute or continue any use of the premises for which permission is required under the Town & Country Planning Act 1971

THE LESSORS HEARBY FURTHER COVENANTS…

7) b) i) There shall be deemed in the premises the roof of the messuage

Questions:

1. The word loft does not appear in the lease but I believe the above wording infers that it is demised with the property. Do you agree?

2. Would 's.19(2) of LTA 1927' be applicable in this instance?

Thanks.

Comment

A lease is only a long term rental agreement and you require landlord consent to make any structural changes. . If you want to convert the loft area into living space, its best to buy the freehold first.

Comment

Thank you kindly for your reply.

Do you think 's.19(2) of LTA 1927' applies in this case? I have read previous similar threads but the wording in those examples seems less vague.

Comment

To conclude this thread I thought I would quote some comments I found elsewhere that seem applicable in this instance. The remarks were made by solicitors.

Consider who is to have rights to exploit airspace. If the let property includes the roof, the airspace will be included too, unless it is expressly excluded.

If the lease prohibits alterations being made “without consent”, there is an implied proviso that consent will not be unreasonably withheld in relation to works that are improvements (s19(2) LTA 1927).

If the lease contains a covenant which prevents improvements without the landlord's prior consent, the tenant is assisted by the effect of s19(2), which states that such consent may not be unreasonably withheld.

BW

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Breakdown of LA costs...
            Landlord1206
            As a LL am I able to insist on seeing the breakdown of costs each quarterly bill?
            We appointed a new Agent to manage the property and now only get one figure on the bill to be paid. Before we received a full breakdown of each item such as gardenng, lighting, insurance, postage etc
            They...
            20-08-2017, 17:49 PM
          • Reply to Breakdown of LA costs...
            Landlord1206
            We are an RMC certainly and there is a second Director who is waiting to leave when a replacement comes forward - he has no involvement and I realise is there only for legal means....
            23-08-2017, 06:00 AM
          • Freehold management accounts
            pernes
            Hi, we have just received the year ending financial accounts, albeit late and after the agm.

the managing agent took control from the beginning of our financial year, a year ago, I'm trying to work out from the accounts produced by the RTM board year ending 2015, what the year end figure...
            19-07-2017, 12:54 PM
          • Reply to Freehold management accounts
            leaseholder64
            If, as is looking likely, the garage and main fund are distinct, the garage fund should not have been reduced in the accounts by the "transfer".

As well as any money still in the bank, the loan to the main fund should also be shown as an asset. They should total to the amount...
            22-08-2017, 23:22 PM
            leaseholder64
            Is the garage sinking fund explicitly mentioned in the lease, or is it just a management account for convenience in reporting.

If explicitly mentioned, it is probably illegal to cross-subsidise between it and other parts of the moneys held in trust, even though it is legal to have one bank...
            22-08-2017, 21:24 PM
            pernes
            Hi, I have just had it confirmed that the money was transferred from the garage sinking fund in 2015 into the main account to partly cover the deficit in the main account. The remaining balance has stayed in the main reserve account. The garage lease states that once the accounts have been audited...
            22-08-2017, 20:41 PM
          • service charge payments
            Squeaky
            Hi, there are 36 flats, 12 flats per block where I live. My lease says my contribution is one thirty sixth for a 2 bed. Looking at the service charge payments provided I can't work out what percentage the other flats pay, some are 1 and 3 bed as the amounts noted are different for the same size flats....
            21-08-2017, 19:57 PM
          • Reply to service charge payments
            leaseholder64
            Is this £550 for one garage, or £550 for all 33? £550 for one garage would require a section 20 notice, as there is no routine work that will come to that much. £550 for 33 means you are arguing about less than 55p.
            22-08-2017, 17:20 PM
          • Reply to service charge payments
            AndrewDod
            The calculations may be wrong but you are still asking the wrong question.

The lease will specify what repairs/maintenance (etc) are to be carried out under the lease. (X)
            The lease will specify what proportion of X you pay.

If the lease says work includes work on the...
            22-08-2017, 17:04 PM
          • Hidden Admin Fees
            37eeyore
            My son is a leaseholder in an ex local authority flat that is now owned by a housing authority. I have recently been checking his service charge bill and received a summary of charges and copies of the repairs invoices. When I matched up the invoices to the summary I discovered that every invoice had...
            28-01-2017, 13:32 PM
          Working...
          X