Survey required before deed of variation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survey required before deed of variation?

Would a survey be required before a deed of variation be put into place on a Lease?

Lease was signed and dated December 1993 - floor plan is exactly now as is shown.

Works, or "defects" advised are:

Removal of chimney breast
    Addition to rear
    Removal of internal position

(Above carried out prior to lease being signed and when house was turned into 2 self contained flats circa 1992 / 1993 or previously to confirm, the floor plan has not changed since then).

Other "defects" are:

replacement of windows (like for like) - I carried out x 2 with freeholder consent
    Replacement boiler including flue - carried out by previous owner in 2006 - retrospective consent given by freeholder

I bought the leasehold property in 2007

Deed of variation sought as paragraph in lease deemed onerous by buyers solicitor - it is a prohibition on works to property but is missing "not to be carried out without freeholder's consent which cannot be withheld unreasonably".

Buyer's solicitor advises free holder consent cannot possibly be given for any works due to lease wording.

I have been contacted by surveyor who had been advised I had carried out the works, I corrected him and advised the above. He is now confused as to why his services are required and I am awaiting further information. I apparently have to pay the surveyors fees which are £660

In the meantime, this is delaying the sale and my purchase and am at risk of not only losing my buyers, but also losing my "new home".

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Well a buyer ought to ensure that whoever did the works did so properly with the building regulations consents as you are now primarily liable for any defects.

What if say the chimney breast supports the breasts and chimney above and is not fully supported or fire stopped?

A prudent freeholder would not sign a DoV without their surveyors inspecting and opening up, nor would a prudent buyer proceed.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Many thanks Leaseholdanswers - I have asked 3 individual solicitors and a surveyor who could not give me the answer you have, you have satisfied my need to understand!

Should not the solicitors who acted for me when I purchased have picked this up also?

Comment

Looks like it was freeholder's mistake to send in a surveyor to look at work that the freeholder had himself done or authorised wasn't it?

Seems to me that the man who instructs a surveyor in error should be the one who pays him, shouldn't it?
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by KMB5 View Post
          Many thanks Leaseholdanswers - I have asked 3 individual solicitors and a surveyor who could not give me the answer you have, you have satisfied my need to understand!

Should not the solicitors who acted for me when I purchased have picked this up also?
          Yes they should, but may have asked and an answer given, perhaps that they were unaware or the landlord being aware and demanded and accepted ground rent or service charge and waived their opportunity to remedy the breach through forfeiture.

I am afraid, as I have argued elsewhere, that this is the price of sausage machine conveyancing and sausage machine valuations and surveys, they fail to help the clueless purchaser through the maze that non- standard sausage machine new build flats can present. And I quite like sausages!

The surveyor ought really to have known but there you go, the degree factories don't prepare them for this day to day stuff.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you leaseholdanswers.

I personally am going off sausages rapidly.

Survey carried out today and it appears they are happy with everything but do advise that part of the storage area I have, although it shows both doors to said storage, not all is showing as outlined red in the Lease....... Cans and worms spring to mind and it appears we may have to get the floorplan redrawn on top of everything else.

I have sent a Formal Complaint letter to the solicitors who acted on my behalf when I was purchasing, the Legal Ombudsman has been advised and has a reference number for the issue and I can only hope their insurance coughs up to cover my ever increasing costs.

I despair, really I do.

We innocently trust where we obviously shouldn't.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
              by flyingfreehold
              Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
              21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
            • Reply to collective enfranchisement
              by flyingfreehold
              at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
              21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
            • Building works & S20 process
              by RichA
              Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
              21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
            • Reply to Building works & S20 process
              by scot22
              It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
              21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
            • Reply to collective enfranchisement
              by Tipper
              Ask lease-advice.org
              21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
            • Reply to Levy
              by scot22
              Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
              21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Macromia
              They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
              21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
            • Changes to lease wording
              by bigalxyz
              In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
              14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
            • Reply to Changes to lease wording
              by Lawcruncher
              If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
              21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
            • Reply to Levy
              by Macromia
              ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
              21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
            Working...
            X