breach of lease & s21 notice LTA1985

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breach of lease & s21 notice LTA1985

s25 LTA 1985 says it is a summary offence for a person to fail, without reasonable excuse, to perform a duty imposed by him by s21, 22 or 23.

Would a leaseholder being in breach of their lease be a reasonable excuse not to supply them with the summary required by s21? In other words, would it be reasonable to send a solicitors letter to a leaseholder saying you are going to prepare a s146 notice and then when you receive a s21 demand ignore it?

Would there be a time limit to act once you have told a leaseholder that you are going to send a s146 notice? Would sending the summary not waive any know breach by the leaseholder?

I don't know whether this has ever been tested in court so I'm not sure there's a 'correct' answer, but I certainly would ignore a s21 request if I had already issued a s146 notice for the reason you have identified.

Comment

The sooner you serve the section 146 you can include in proceedings a claim for the amount certified by section 21. The certificate ( and for the sake of costs, copies of all the invoices) is included in the bundle that the lessee receives.

Is S146 the only or a practical response to the breach?
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

What is the breach ?. If its for non payment of service charges then an LVT may of expected you to send the S21 ? (Just to clarify amounts owing, etc).

And are the 21,22,23 and 25 you refer to all in effect ?

Andy
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

No, I'm the leaseholder.

I am wondering whether the landlord can just sit on their claim that they're going to issue a s146 notice in order that they can get away with not communicating with me and also don't have to respond to a s21 request.

I'd have thought that you had to follow up on your threat of a s21 notice within a reasonable time.

After a recent LVT decision the landlord owes me £1500 and I want to try and get them to pay me this rather than be in credit. It's about 3 years worth of service charges.

Comment

Aha..

Some LVT's have concluded that if the FH mentions the theat of a S146 he actualy has to have real intention to go through with it, (it otherwise could just be used as an exuse to recover legal costs due to most lease clauses allowing 'costs for purpose of or incidental to a s146'.

Im in similar situation, following LVT, I think they should refund me approx £500 (the LVT were, unhelpfully, a bit vague), the FH 'credited' my account with £250 but for the rem,ainder I had to fight at court where I won and actually got that half physically refunded.

I have mentioned the in credit amount in a recent claim for SC against me by freeholder, I expect them to lose but still not clear about in credit amount, its not actually a counterclaim as such as its already been litigated.

I expect I could make claim and show nothing is owing, SC account is in credit, there is no in credit/sinking fund so the money should be refunded directly to me, theyve now had it about 2 years.

Andy
            Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by andydd View Post
              Aha..

Some LVT's have concluded that if the FH mentions the theat of a S146 he actualy has to have real intention to go through with it, (it otherwise could just be used as an exuse to recover legal costs due to most lease clauses allowing 'costs for purpose of or incidental to a s146'.
              Thanks Andy.

I'm not sure the LVT would be any help in this case. If there's no guideline or case law then I guess it all boils down to the magistrates court's opinion on what is reasonable.

Comment

You have to apply to the county court to enforce the LVT judgement. Your lease might also be part of the claim if it requires that any service charge paid in excess of actual costs ( in the case as determined by the LVT) are repaid or retained as a surplus/held in sinking fund.

It is highly likely that you would get the £1500 back, but be prepared for some argument along the above lines.

Just issue the section 21 request. If they don't issue one in the time limits then ask the local council to enforce it or
                apply to the magistrate yourself.
                Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                  You have to apply to the county court to enforce the LVT judgement. Your lease might also be part of the claim if it requires that any service charge paid in excess of actual costs ( in the case as determined by the LVT) are repaid or retained as a surplus/held in sinking fund.
                  Thanks Leaseholdanswers,

I've posted a separate question on how I go about getting a refund. It's complicated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Hidden Admin Fees
                    37eeyore
                    My son is a leaseholder in an ex local authority flat that is now owned by a housing authority. I have recently been checking his service charge bill and received a summary of charges and copies of the repairs invoices. When I matched up the invoices to the summary I discovered that every invoice had...
                    28-01-2017, 13:32 PM
                  • Reply to Hidden Admin Fees
                    leaseholder64
                    Residential service charges are VAT exempt, so they cannot charge VAT on the 15%. On the other hand, VAT is still part of their upstream costs, so they need to recover the VAT they paid to their suppliers. They are buying at VAT inclusive prices.

15% on a typical service charge would...
                    22-08-2017, 12:35 PM
                  • Reply to Hidden Admin Fees
                    37eeyore
                    I still have an ongoing dispute with the HA about the 15% they add to every invoice. One thing that just occurred to me is that they add it to the total figure after VAT. Is this legal? I would have thought they can only charge us based on the figure before VAT.

Sorry,I know the original...
                    22-08-2017, 10:55 AM
                  • Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                    jerome_sw
                    Please can someone clarify the meaning of this section of the lease;

"to indemnify the landlords against all costs charges and expenses (including legal costs and fees payable to any surveyor) which may be incurred or be borne by the landlords
                    (a) in or in contemplation of any...
                    20-08-2017, 11:45 AM
                  • Reply to Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                    andydd
                    Nearly every lease has a) and recent court decisions have opened it up to FHs to use it more and get costs even if there was no forfeituire action as he could simply claim he was contemplating it, BUT it is easy to fall foul of it and waive any right to use it by mistake, some newer leases have a more...
                    22-08-2017, 10:39 AM
                  • Breakdown of LA costs...
                    Landlord1206
                    As a LL am I able to insist on seeing the breakdown of costs each quarterly bill?
                    We appointed a new Agent to manage the property and now only get one figure on the bill to be paid. Before we received a full breakdown of each item such as gardenng, lighting, insurance, postage etc
                    They...
                    20-08-2017, 17:49 PM
                  • Reply to Breakdown of LA costs...
                    leaseholder64
                    The general requirement for two directors was removed by the Companies Act 2006. Which legislation defines an RMC and restricts its articles?

It is likely that the company articles require two directors, though. In any case the OP should request a copy of the articles from the company...
                    22-08-2017, 10:12 AM
                    ram

Are you a R.T.M. ? ( right to manage company ) and are acting on behalf of the freeholder. ( running the place instead of the freeholder )
                    OR
                    Are you a R.M.C.? ( residents management company ) where the leaseholders own the freehold, and each leaseholder has a share certificate,
                    22-08-2017, 08:38 AM
                    Landlord1206
                    Thank you Ram. To clarify, the property owners collectively have a 'XXX Residents Committee Ltd ' - a company managing ourselves. We used to have flat owners on this committee and they sent out the quarterly bills itemised. This was after the event.
                    Due to people dropping out the decision was...
                    22-08-2017, 08:17 AM
                    ram
                    BUT, you say "Before we received a full breakdown of each item such as gardening, lighting, insurance, postage etc.
                    THEN you SHOULD get that same breakdown, sometimes twice a year,

First time would be at the start of the financial year stating the Estimated running costs for
                    22-08-2017, 07:16 AM
                  Working...
                  X