Roof repairs demand legal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof repairs demand legal?

The roof being in need of replacement myself and fellow lessees[4] got quotes, specifications and an apparently excellent company all set up to do the work which we then informed the freeholders agent of. However the freeholders agent are now putting forward another company which is connected to them, not a member of roofing federation, has never tackled a job of the size [nor apparently as it's turnover for the last reported year was £16k any re-roofing at all] and is now actually recorded at Companies House as being non-trading. Not surprisingly the quote is just under the legitimate companies one. The roof does need doing, but not by these cowboys.
    Are there good legal grounds for refusing the demand to pay?
    How best to contest this?
    John

Unless you achieve a legal or contractual right or consent to carry out works to the landlords premise, the roof work is trespass and you could be liable for considerable damages. In simple terms it is therefore not your roof to replace.

Doing this as a group can have problems with liability for defects for the freeholder and you as residents and a future flat buyer. The terms of warranties are not as comprehensive as sold and are often limited to the original parties and not a new flat owner, and in the case of negligence you could be sued several years after having sold up and left. If the roof collapses the four of you are directly liable not the contractor, you then have to sue them.

So it is for the freeholder to do under the lease and they can sect their contractor as long as there are at least two estimate for the work as part of the statutory consultation'

At present neither you nor the freeholder can proceed, and your agent should know better as this explains. http://www.lease-advice.org/document..._Landlords.pdf

Your main options are

1: They end to do the consultation, then have it requoted, and if they insist on using their chap, then take it to the LVT to determine independently.

2: Or as four flats exercise the no fualt right to manage and arrange it,and everything else yourselves. http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...nt.asp?item=21
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Very helpful comments - thank-you!

Comment

You don't say whether or not the agent is undertaking s20 consultation? If they are, all 4 of you should raise your concerns and say that you'd rather your contractor did the work. If they ignore you and it all goes pear shaped you can then tell them you told them so, and you will have a better argument against any resulting extra costs being charged as service charges.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leakage dispute
          ozdemirozgur
          Hi,

I have an issue with the other freeholder (we are 3 freeholders of a converted house into 3 flats) about a leak. There is intermittent leaks to downstairs kitchen from my bathroom. both mine one and downstairs flat are rented properties. A few weeks back husband of the downstairs flat...
          26-07-2017, 14:51 PM
        • Reply to Leakage dispute
          AndrewDod
          ... and arguably if there is water flooding into his flat from yours he does have every right to switch the water off, since he will assume that that you are going to have an emergency plumber in there the next day -- and that this plumber will strip your bathroom fittings out until the cause is found....
          26-07-2017, 23:12 PM
        • Reply to Leakage dispute
          AndrewDod
          Intermittent leaks...... Sounds as if you are being bloody negligent, and then have the gall to be getting angry. GET IT SORTED NOW. Get a good plumber and pay as much as you need to pay, whether it is £200 or £5000 -- If and only if you discover it is coming from a common pipe, then it is a common...
          26-07-2017, 23:02 PM
        • FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
          Farrella
          First Tier Tribunal refuses permission to appeal their decision for the correct ("reasonable") service charge payable by leaseholder. But leaseholder still refuses to pay service charge and wants to go to court (or Upper Tribunal). Is the FTT useless at enforcing service charge payment?...
          26-07-2017, 16:11 PM
        • Reply to FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
          Farrella
          Yes I am the landlord, and the leaseholder was the one who took us to FTT after I served notice on non-payment of service charge. Unfortunately for him, the tribunal ruled that most charges were reasonable. Then he appealed and the tribunal refused him permission to appeal.

Now he says...
          26-07-2017, 18:04 PM
        • Reply to FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
          MrSoffit
          Hi, presume you as landlord took defaulter to FTT and won? And defaulter was denied right of appeal?

Don't understand how defaulter still wants to go to UT? Is he/she asking the UT to allow an appeal over the FTT? Do you know the point of law?

Regroup:

Are you...
          26-07-2017, 17:09 PM
          nukecad
          From experience with benefit appeals.

The FTT can refuse permission to pass on your appeal to the Upper Tier, but that does not stop you appealing to the UTT yourself.
          (Yes it seems strange).

You can only appeal to the UTT on an 'error of law' and not on an 'error of...
          26-07-2017, 17:06 PM
        • Grounds rents to be reduced to zero? That'll do nicely
          MrSoffit
          Government due to announce major overhaul of leasehold tomorrow. Read here...

http://www.leaseholdknowledge.com/go...rents-low-zero

At last.

Edit: Article now in Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...w-build-houses...
          24-07-2017, 22:42 PM
        • Reply to Grounds rents to be reduced to zero? That'll do nicely
          MrSoffit
          So far I've read nothing that convinces me the government (given the number of landlord/barristers in the Houses) will threaten the existing caper - far too lucrative.

Trouble is, if they only ban future leasehold houses and enforce peppercorn rents on new flats, the rest of us ( 4 million?)...
          26-07-2017, 14:38 PM
        • Reply to Grounds rents to be reduced to zero? That'll do nicely
          Tipper
          Surely this 'reduction' in ground rent will only apply to new leases and to houses if still leasehold?

Frankly the house developers need their bottoms smacking and fining very very large amounts for conning buyers! It seems many (most?) businesses in the UK spend all their time dreaming...
          26-07-2017, 13:28 PM
        Working...
        X