Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really confused - Freehold and RTM?

Hi,
    I hope someone can help me and my neighbours?

I am one of 6 owners of Freehold property which surrounds a private Courtyard to which we each pay a service charge to a management company that was set up after our houses were built.
    I believe that as one of the Freeholders that I have a share in the courtyard?
    During the past couple of years since Countrywide took over as the management agent of the courtyard the courtyard has become rather neglected and a bit of an eyesore. On contacting Countrywide they do nothing but make excuses and say everything is fine despit many complaints from myself and my neighbours.
    To add salt into the wounds, Countrywide have just slapped a £200 ' administration' charge on my bill because of late payment. They were suppose to send the quarterely invoices to my main address- some few miles away but I never received an invoice. Nor did they send any invoice to the actual house in the courtyard. I've tried explaining to them that I never received the invoice but they are so arrogant they insisted I paid it or pay another £100 on top for even a later payment!

Anyway, my question is: As a freeholder and along with other freeholder owners - how do we go about getting rid of this so called management company and run things ourselves? There are 4 of us who want to go down this route at the moment but I'm sure the other 2 will follow.
    Are there expensive costs involved or is it a simple case of telling ountrywide to get lost?

Regards

Ben.

You will have to look at your deeds to see on what basis you make a contribution. Right to manage does not apply. Until we know this your course of action is unclear.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Yes, have a look at the demands for payment sent to you and see who they are acting for - it's possible that a 3rd party owns the courtyard and you are liable to pay under some sort of rent charge agreement.

Comment

Some friends nr Dorking have a similar scheme and,in desperation, took it on themselves to maintain the lawns and padlocked the gates. It took 9 months for the "gardening contracter" to notice, mainly as, via the CCTV they installed as a residents association, he had not attended at all.

The county court judge was less than impressed about the claims for services in the bills, and the reason for the story is that it allowed them to settle out of court and buy the amenity area.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you for your answers and advice.

Looking at the Deeds it looks as though the Courtyard is owned jointly by the owners. Each of us have a 1/6 share. A management company was set up to maintain the Courtyard when the development was built some 12 years ago. Since then it seems to have gone through several management companies - all doing a pretty bad job.

Comment

If you dig deep enough you may find that that management company is actually your company. What makes you think you all own a share of the courtyard? Does it have it's own title at land registry and if so, have you downloaded the details?

If you are in Pevensey, is the Bay Hotel still standing?

Comment

Better to buy a copy of the freehold title for the Courtyard and check if your 6 owners names are shown on it ?

I think Land registry allow max 4 names only.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Compulsory Acquisition Order
                5leaseholders
                Could anyone help clarify the situation with regards meeting the 2/3rds criteria for a Compulsory Acquisition Order?

We are 5 Leaseholders in a block of 3 apartments above 2 shops. The Freeholder is repeatedly failing to fulfil obligations in the lease to carry out any external maintenance...
                14-01-2018, 14:09 PM
              • Reply to Compulsory Acquisition Order
                5leaseholders
                Does anybody have experience / knowledge on Compulsory Acquisition Orders?
                Many thanks.
                16-01-2018, 13:31 PM
              • Solicitor sent section 42 to wrong freeholder
                CBH
                I have just bought a property which had (at the time of offer) a 71 year lease. I engaged two solicitors from the same firm; one for the conveyancing and one for the lease extension. I had the lease extension survey carried out and I thought everything was fine

After completion we found...
                10-11-2017, 08:40 AM
              • Reply to Solicitor sent section 42 to wrong freeholder
                CBH
                Hi Gordon999 and thank you for your reply. I have checked with companies house and the company that hey transferred the freehold to, has been in operation for over 2 years and they are directors of the company. So I believe that the RFR does not apply. If the RFR does not apply, surely I cannot go...
                16-01-2018, 13:26 PM
              • Breach of lease help
                Mellifluous
                Happy new year to you all.

Mine hasn't started so well, unfortunately.

2years ago we converted a large flat into two smaller flats. Assuming we'd obtained the correct permission from the freeholder.
                Fast forward 8 months, they'd been completed and signed off with all...
                09-01-2018, 13:32 PM
              • Reply to Breach of lease help
                JK0
                But who is going to buy a flat with two bathrooms & kitchens? Anyone considering it will have to go through the same rigmarole and costs you are facing to split it, but will expect a nice discount on the price.

BTW, did I understand you to mean in a previous post that there are already...
                16-01-2018, 13:18 PM
              • Reply to Breach of lease help
                Mellifluous
                Would it be sufficient to just open the apartments into one again? There was always two front doors and we've just changed the layout inside and added another kitchen and bathrooms. Would they want them exactly as they were? There were no structural works done and this was confirmed by the structural...
                16-01-2018, 13:15 PM
              • Reply to Solicitor sent section 42 to wrong freeholder
                CBH
                Hi flyingfreehold, thank you for your reply. As I said, I have checked and the freeholders did transfer the freehold into a wholly owned company that they have owned for over 2 years. Therefore I think this means that they did NOT have to offer the freehold on a RFR. AM I correct or incorrect?...
                16-01-2018, 13:14 PM
              • Handling Service Charge for Legal Fees disallowed by Tribunal
                Benzo
                Morning guys

Had some really good advice here before, I'm hoping to get a little more if you don't mind.

Our block has been charged just under £40k in 'Legal and Professional Fees' over the last five invoices.

An LVT ruling said that as there was no specific...
                12-01-2018, 10:02 AM
              • Reply to Handling Service Charge for Legal Fees disallowed by Tribunal
                Benzo
                That's interesting. I'll challenge this. Thank you.
                16-01-2018, 13:10 PM
              Working...
              X