Freeholder persists to claim registration charge to underlet despite LVT decision.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder persists to claim registration charge to underlet despite LVT decision.

Following an application to the LVT to define reasonable fees in respect of permission to underlet, Estates & Management representing Gradeband, the freeholder,acknowledge the LVT decision about the variable administration charge and that they pay my application costs, but still try to charge me a registration fee with each new tenancy agreement. The LVT stated that the registration fee demanded is not a variable administration charge as defined in the Act but nevertheless stated that their interpretation of the lease is that I am not liable for such a charge.
    My question is what legal right can they have when my interpretation of the lease is backed in no uncertain terms by the LVT?

I have written to them rejecting the claim and demanding a cheque for the £50 costs.

Both companies which you mention are members of Consensus Business Group controlled by Vincent Tchenguiz. You can view the company structure at www.cqra.org and find them under Cos.no. 175 for E&M and 191 for Gradeband :

http://www.cqra.org/index.php/lvt/11...h-2011#Company Listing

Please post (1) the LVT case reference number or weblink and (2) what are E&M are required to re-pay you on LVT application costs ( 3) what are E&M now demanding.

Comment

I think events have rather overtaken that statement.....

If the LVT ruled that the registration fee is not one over which they have control, that rather suggests that there is a fee due.

As requested if you can quote the clause in the lease that they rely on we can comment.

Otherwise you would have to apply to the county court, or wait for them to sue for it/them and challenge it then.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Presumably if Gilbertcat just keeps paying his ground rent, and E&M keep accepting it, haven't they waived any 'breach' of which they are aware, Leaseholdanswers?
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

There is no breach in not paying a fee; the concern is that when they come to sell the purchaser will have their notice rejected creating a headache for all concerned.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post

Otherwise you would have to apply to the county court, or wait for them to sue for it/them and challenge it then.
            Hi Leaseholdanswers, out of interest, what type of claim would the leaseholder make to the County Court?

Comment

Thank you for your comments.

Regarding charges for registering underlettings, the LVT wrote:

For what it is worth... whilst we consider that the Applicant must give notice of underlettings, we agree that no registration fee is payable. The Respondent argued that the registration of underlettings is required by paragrapgh 27.1 of the Eighth Schedule to the lease, which provides: -

“To give written notice within 28 days to the lessor and to the Management Company (or their agents) of any assignment transfer mortgage charge grant of probate letters of administration order of court or other matter disposing of or affecting the Demised Premises or devolution of or transfer of title to the same … and also pay … such reasonable fee appropriate at the time of registration in respect of any such dealing …”

However, the absence of any mention of underlettings from the list set out above is striking, and leads us to conclude that its omission must have been deliberate. The logic behind the exclusion of underlettings from this notification requirement is not difficult to discern: it is because notification/registration of lettings is covered by a different provision in the Lease … which makes no provision for the payment of a registration fee (and where the right to charge such a fee cannot be implied).
              My question remains - what course is open to E&M or me to resolve this ,matter. E&M are ordered by the LVT to pay our costs of £50 within 14 days. Not yet received! Due by 24th March.

Comment

Don't hold your breath for your £50!

I asked for suggestions to help you on TTAS:

http://www.thetruthaboutsolitaire.co...#comment-71686

I was told that E&M are desperate for cash to keep running. (They also asked me for £75 for registration a few weeks ago, after the LVT and Lands Chamber both confirmed that my lease does not call for it.)

I suppose if you really want to escalate this, you can issue a County Court Claim for the £50. Then if they still don't pay you, perhaps apply for them to be wound up!
                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

or other matter disposing of or affecting the Demised Premises
                  Is fairly clear, an underletting of the whole certainly affects the premises. I can't for the life o me see how te Chair arrived at that conclusion, they certainly would get an argument from me if acting for a landlord.

if they concluded that a notice is due under this clause it follows that a fee is due.

But that's the risk when landlord's turn up with boiler plate arguments.

Give notice and offer a fee. if they decline to accept the notice that is their commercial decision you have complied with the lease by notifying and offering payment of a fee. You are hardly in breach...!

Let them sue for £40. I think the court will have a lot to say about that.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• AGM cancelled.
                    by Grumio
                    Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                    26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                  • Reply to AGM cancelled.
                    by eagle2
                    Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
                    26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
                    by Grumio
                    It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
                    26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
                  • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                    by sgclacy
                    Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
                    26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
                  • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                    by Section20z
                    You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
                    freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
                    26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
                  • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                    by Section20z
                    Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
                    26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
                  • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                    by Santa Fe
                    Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
                    24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
                    by eagle2
                    Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
                    26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
                  • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                    by eagle2
                    I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
                    26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
                    by fos333
                    Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
                    26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
                  Working...
                  X