Freeholder persists to claim registration charge to underlet despite LVT decision.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder persists to claim registration charge to underlet despite LVT decision.

Following an application to the LVT to define reasonable fees in respect of permission to underlet, Estates & Management representing Gradeband, the freeholder,acknowledge the LVT decision about the variable administration charge and that they pay my application costs, but still try to charge me a registration fee with each new tenancy agreement. The LVT stated that the registration fee demanded is not a variable administration charge as defined in the Act but nevertheless stated that their interpretation of the lease is that I am not liable for such a charge.
    My question is what legal right can they have when my interpretation of the lease is backed in no uncertain terms by the LVT?

I have written to them rejecting the claim and demanding a cheque for the £50 costs.

Both companies which you mention are members of Consensus Business Group controlled by Vincent Tchenguiz. You can view the company structure at www.cqra.org and find them under Cos.no. 175 for E&M and 191 for Gradeband :

http://www.cqra.org/index.php/lvt/11...h-2011#Company Listing

Please post (1) the LVT case reference number or weblink and (2) what are E&M are required to re-pay you on LVT application costs ( 3) what are E&M now demanding.

Comment

I think events have rather overtaken that statement.....

If the LVT ruled that the registration fee is not one over which they have control, that rather suggests that there is a fee due.

As requested if you can quote the clause in the lease that they rely on we can comment.

Otherwise you would have to apply to the county court, or wait for them to sue for it/them and challenge it then.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Presumably if Gilbertcat just keeps paying his ground rent, and E&M keep accepting it, haven't they waived any 'breach' of which they are aware, Leaseholdanswers?
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

There is no breach in not paying a fee; the concern is that when they come to sell the purchaser will have their notice rejected creating a headache for all concerned.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post

Otherwise you would have to apply to the county court, or wait for them to sue for it/them and challenge it then.
            Hi Leaseholdanswers, out of interest, what type of claim would the leaseholder make to the County Court?

Comment

Thank you for your comments.

Regarding charges for registering underlettings, the LVT wrote:

For what it is worth... whilst we consider that the Applicant must give notice of underlettings, we agree that no registration fee is payable. The Respondent argued that the registration of underlettings is required by paragrapgh 27.1 of the Eighth Schedule to the lease, which provides: -

“To give written notice within 28 days to the lessor and to the Management Company (or their agents) of any assignment transfer mortgage charge grant of probate letters of administration order of court or other matter disposing of or affecting the Demised Premises or devolution of or transfer of title to the same … and also pay … such reasonable fee appropriate at the time of registration in respect of any such dealing …”

However, the absence of any mention of underlettings from the list set out above is striking, and leads us to conclude that its omission must have been deliberate. The logic behind the exclusion of underlettings from this notification requirement is not difficult to discern: it is because notification/registration of lettings is covered by a different provision in the Lease … which makes no provision for the payment of a registration fee (and where the right to charge such a fee cannot be implied).
              My question remains - what course is open to E&M or me to resolve this ,matter. E&M are ordered by the LVT to pay our costs of £50 within 14 days. Not yet received! Due by 24th March.

Comment

Don't hold your breath for your £50!

I asked for suggestions to help you on TTAS:

http://www.thetruthaboutsolitaire.co...#comment-71686

I was told that E&M are desperate for cash to keep running. (They also asked me for £75 for registration a few weeks ago, after the LVT and Lands Chamber both confirmed that my lease does not call for it.)

I suppose if you really want to escalate this, you can issue a County Court Claim for the £50. Then if they still don't pay you, perhaps apply for them to be wound up!
                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

or other matter disposing of or affecting the Demised Premises
                  Is fairly clear, an underletting of the whole certainly affects the premises. I can't for the life o me see how te Chair arrived at that conclusion, they certainly would get an argument from me if acting for a landlord.

if they concluded that a notice is due under this clause it follows that a fee is due.

But that's the risk when landlord's turn up with boiler plate arguments.

Give notice and offer a fee. if they decline to accept the notice that is their commercial decision you have complied with the lease by notifying and offering payment of a fee. You are hardly in breach...!

Let them sue for £40. I think the court will have a lot to say about that.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to on -going leaks
                    by JackBluebird
                    ah i understand, sorry for confusion. As far as I'm aware, there is absolutely no reason to let anyone representing another leaseholder into your apartment. are you obliged to? no.... will your claim hurt if you dont? almost certinaly not... As i understand it she is essentially challenging the survey...
                    19-05-2022, 00:17 AM
                  • on -going leaks
                    by finest1
                    Hi All,

The flat upstair has been leaking for some years. The ceiling soon partially collapsed stopping me fro m letting the flat. The leaseholder upstairs kept claiming that the leak was not coming from her flat despite sending them photos of her wet subfloor. I sent a letter claiming...
                    18-05-2022, 17:09 PM
                    by finest1
                    Thank you for your response. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear but the freeholder has already sent a surveyor and they are satisfied that the leak has been caused from upstairs.

It's the leaseholder who wants to send their own surveyor or architect, and has refused to allow their insurance...
                    18-05-2022, 19:52 PM
                  • Reply to Levy
                    by scot22
                    Thanks for reply but doesn't really matter. Issue is what must leaseholders be told about reason and how it is being spent.
                    18-05-2022, 19:45 PM
                  • Levy
                    by scot22
                    What details must be given in an invoice for a levy ?
                    18-05-2022, 17:43 PM
                  • Reply to Levy
                    by Tipper
                    Can you expand...levy for what?
                    18-05-2022, 19:12 PM
                    by JackBluebird
                    On one hand people may argue, the freeholder has rights to access and assess the property in accordance with the lease whenever it is reasonable or essential to do so. However if you initiate the disrepair protocol you will have much more leverage, but it is not for bluffing...

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
                  • Insurance
                    by jazzythumper
                    When the freehold of our building was sold, the old freeholder cancelled the buildings insurance which we had paid for in advance through our service charge.

A new policy was taken out by the new freeholder. A refund for the previous policy has been given to the previous freeholder but...
                    03-04-2022, 20:24 PM
                  • Reply to Insurance
                    by jazzythumper
                    I’ve managed to get the refund from the previous insurers, which is good, over £1,000 that we wouldn’t have had otherwise in our funds.
                    18-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                  • Breaches of Model Articles
                    by Starlane
                    ram Our articles require a quorum for board and for shareholder meetings. It has come to light after the event that a director has called a meeting on their own and appointed another director, the meeting was inquorate and no members were made aware that this was going on, additionally no meeting has...
                    06-05-2022, 16:02 PM
                  Working...
                  X