• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zena
    started a topic varying our leaseholder's lease

varying our leaseholder's lease

Hello

I am new to the forum, I hope you can help.

We are a block of 3. The freehold is held by 2 of the flats (owner occupied). Our leaseholder rents out his flat and we have had a nightmare over the years getting him to contribute to works etc.

We feel that we are being held to ransom by an absent leaseholder who is the minority in the building as he relies on the fact that we don't want to fight and would just like to live in peace. Its frustrating that he wants the benefit of us owner occupiers that want a nice home whilst he contributes very little.

The problem is made worse by the fact that we have a poorly worded and vague lease. Issues are arising regarding the intercom system, health and safety issues e.g. installing emergency lighting.

Our leaseholder will never agree to it but if 2 out of 3 leaseholders (both also being freeholders) agree ... can we apply to the LVT to vary the terms of all out leases to cover issues such as health and safety obligations etc that were never in the mind of lawyers drafting the original leases? what are the risks? and costs?
    Thank you for any assistance

Zena

• leaseholdanswers
    replied
    Originally posted by zena View Post
    Thank you for your help.

I don't think section 35 will apply as we are a block of 3 flats. However section 37 may be helpful. If 2 out of the 3 leaseholders agree then we can make a majority application to the LVT include the one non-consenting lease. The Act doesn't seem to state that these leaseholders cannot also be freeholders.

I think we may need to take legal advice on whether our grounds are reasonable and cost risks.

Thank you again

Zena

Erm confused by the reply; you can apply as a leaseholder or freeholder(s). if you referring to the qualifier which from memory is 3 + flats, that refers to, eg, a head lease which contains 3 or more flats in one demise, not three flats with long leases and no intervening head lease.

Leave a comment:

• zena
    replied
    Thank you for your help.

I don't think section 35 will apply as we are a block of 3 flats. However section 37 may be helpful. If 2 out of the 3 leaseholders agree then we can make a majority application to the LVT include the one non-consenting lease. The Act doesn't seem to state that these leaseholders cannot also be freeholders.

I think we may need to take legal advice on whether our grounds are reasonable and cost risks.

Thank you again

Zena

Leave a comment:

• leaseholdanswers
    replied
    But where they do no t agree you can resort to mediation arbitration or determination by the LVT.

Where the leaseholder will not consent to a variation you may be able to vary the lease, and corresponding leases ie the other 2, by application under section 35 and 36, and/or by majority under s37 of the landlord and Tenant Act 1987.

The grounds would be that the leases fail to make, in broad terms, satisfactory provision for repair of the building.

http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...asp?item=18#19

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    I am afraid that you cannot change the lease terms along the lines you would like without the tenant's consent.

"he relies on the fact that we don't want to fight and would just like to live in peace"

You have to make a decision whether you let that go on.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Communal area harassment
    Stacker
    We have a small communal area which is basically an entry and exit point to the flats. One flat owner on the second floor has decided to put lots of plants out in this area and has taken to sitting on the communal stairs daily to drink coffee and let their cat out to roam and have coffee, smoking chats...
    24-08-2019, 12:16 PM
  • Reply to Communal area harassment
    Stacker
    Good film thanks for that! The wheelie bin is directly under my window!...
    24-08-2019, 15:08 PM
    leaseholder64
    This is an example of why you don't want a bin outside your window: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RDKLNJwvbs
    24-08-2019, 14:39 PM
    leaseholder64
    I would be more concerned about the bins. If this area is reached before a final place of safety, I'm not sure how they got past the fire risk assessment. Similarly if they are under your window.
    24-08-2019, 14:31 PM
  • Tenant would like her friend to park in her car park
    surreygirl
    My tenant, a very lovely lady I may add and a great tenant. She does not have a car but her friend of hers who does have one would like to use the car park. I myself do not mind, but I wonder if it would or could upset the Leaseholders of the other flat.

It doesnt say anything about it...
    22-08-2019, 11:59 AM
  • Reply to Tenant would like her friend to park in her car park
    surreygirl
    well that clarifies it for me. Thanks.

Yes, I do not want the person who is parking there that they have any rights over it and could possibly, for example, say to someone else that he or she is not using the car parking space so you can use it today etc. or if the car parking space has...
    24-08-2019, 14:23 PM
  • Significant Penetrating Damp
    scot22
    I have searched for criteria to decide if a dwelling is uninhabitable. As well as the obvious, it includes significant penetrating damp. As always, difficult to define significant. I would welcome any views on how much would make somewhere uninhabitable. Any case law would be particularly value...
    24-08-2019, 09:27 AM
  • Reply to Significant Penetrating Damp
    scot22
    Thanks everyone. I agree Andrew, it is impossible to answer with limited information. The inhabitant has a unique way of looking at things !
    I agree about the need for professional opinion. His surveyor and two Company surveyors have inspected the damp issue. None of them commented, or implied,...
    24-08-2019, 14:01 PM
    Stacker
    Naughty!! This is the communal area and its for everyone to use...but not as an extension of their flat...and certainly not for them to stand there staring back at me through the windows...and no not paranoid!...who stares at people if they are in their own flat window and then shouting at them from...
    24-08-2019, 13:34 PM
    JK0
    Any time my neighbours' things encroached on my flat, they mysteriously disappeared into my dustbin at 3am just before the dustmen came. (I can't imagine how that happened.)
    24-08-2019, 13:25 PM
Working...
X