Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

varying our leaseholder's lease

Hello

I am new to the forum, I hope you can help.

We are a block of 3. The freehold is held by 2 of the flats (owner occupied). Our leaseholder rents out his flat and we have had a nightmare over the years getting him to contribute to works etc.

We feel that we are being held to ransom by an absent leaseholder who is the minority in the building as he relies on the fact that we don't want to fight and would just like to live in peace. Its frustrating that he wants the benefit of us owner occupiers that want a nice home whilst he contributes very little.

The problem is made worse by the fact that we have a poorly worded and vague lease. Issues are arising regarding the intercom system, health and safety issues e.g. installing emergency lighting.

Our leaseholder will never agree to it but if 2 out of 3 leaseholders (both also being freeholders) agree ... can we apply to the LVT to vary the terms of all out leases to cover issues such as health and safety obligations etc that were never in the mind of lawyers drafting the original leases? what are the risks? and costs?
    Thank you for any assistance

Zena

I am afraid that you cannot change the lease terms along the lines you would like without the tenant's consent.

"he relies on the fact that we don't want to fight and would just like to live in peace"

You have to make a decision whether you let that go on.

Comment

But where they do no t agree you can resort to mediation arbitration or determination by the LVT.

Where the leaseholder will not consent to a variation you may be able to vary the lease, and corresponding leases ie the other 2, by application under section 35 and 36, and/or by majority under s37 of the landlord and Tenant Act 1987.

The grounds would be that the leases fail to make, in broad terms, satisfactory provision for repair of the building.

http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...asp?item=18#19
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you for your help.

I don't think section 35 will apply as we are a block of 3 flats. However section 37 may be helpful. If 2 out of the 3 leaseholders agree then we can make a majority application to the LVT include the one non-consenting lease. The Act doesn't seem to state that these leaseholders cannot also be freeholders.

I think we may need to take legal advice on whether our grounds are reasonable and cost risks.

Thank you again

Zena

Comment

Originally posted by zena View Post
          Thank you for your help.

I don't think section 35 will apply as we are a block of 3 flats. However section 37 may be helpful. If 2 out of the 3 leaseholders agree then we can make a majority application to the LVT include the one non-consenting lease. The Act doesn't seem to state that these leaseholders cannot also be freeholders.

I think we may need to take legal advice on whether our grounds are reasonable and cost risks.

Thank you again

Zena

Erm confused by the reply; you can apply as a leaseholder or freeholder(s). if you referring to the qualifier which from memory is 3 + flats, that refers to, eg, a head lease which contains 3 or more flats in one demise, not three flats with long leases and no intervening head lease.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• sub-let fees - help? Estate & Management Ltd
            chipsdog
            First post, so please be patient with me.

I own a flat that I rent out, I have received a letter from E&M Ltd telling me I need to buy a licence for letting my flat. The fee £135 + £85 every new tennant, global licence £330.

What am I actually paying for? has anyone...
            22-08-2011, 17:38 PM
          • Reply to sub-let fees - help? Estate & Management Ltd
            andydd
            Looks like the above consultation is just dealing with Commonhold at the moment, had a quick read through..IMO CH is a dead duck and will never work and more energy should be spent on Right to manage, right to enfranchise and share of freeholds, etc (which can perform the same/similar result)....
            22-02-2018, 10:04 AM
          • Sale of flat - breach of lease
            Robble76
            Hi

The flat below me has been repossessed by the mortgage company and is now up for sale.

As director of the RTM company I have received a letter from the mortgage company's solicitors asking me to complete their questionnaire.

The lessee is in considerable arrears...
            13-01-2018, 06:51 AM
          • Reply to Sale of flat - breach of lease
            Robble76
            Just to follow up on this. The mortgage company have coughed up in full for the service charges so we are happy.
            I think it Is best for RTM companies to have the RTM noted on the freehold title at the Land Registry as this is how the mortgage company found out about us.

Thanks for
            22-02-2018, 06:36 AM
            Gordon999
            The Law Commission is making an 8 week Public Consultation and you can tell the Law Commission what problems E& M is causing to many leaseholders ondemanding payment for something not worded in the lease and the lack of Government regulation and impotence of Council Housing Officers against...
            22-02-2018, 05:02 AM
          • A case for keeping a pet in part bought flat
            GemmaBrown
            Hi,
            Last April I bought a part share flat. I was given permission (in writing) by the housing association (HA) for my dog to live here.

Two weeks after I moved in I had some exchange with the HA saying that they had made a mistake. The management company (consisting of 2 directors,...
            19-02-2018, 17:51 PM
          • Reply to A case for keeping a pet in part bought flat
            leaseholder64
            There was an article in today's London Evening Standard about why that policy will be very unpopular with short let landlords, which is who I think the policy is really aimed at. Basically it says that the cleanup of pet hairs is costly, and they often cause damage, although those are not so relevant...
            21-02-2018, 21:06 PM
            GemmaBrown
            Thanks. Again not something that you are not explained when buying.

I do understand the rule for not having pets in shared flats. However when the pet has lived in the premises for nearly a year, without incident (accept one time he barked at 8pm and that is why the director complained/decided...
            21-02-2018, 19:52 PM
            MrWook
            I've recently received a similar letter. So far I've never entered into a dialog with them, I just ignored their ridiculous demands, and I don't intend on starting now. They can see the law is catching up with their racketeering and they are making one last push for £££!

I would appreciate...
            21-02-2018, 16:47 PM
            leaseholder64
            It's not really a social housing issue, although the shared ownership thing complicates things.

The same rules apply to all leaseholders, even if they are also members of the management company.

Where shared ownership complicates things, when there is also a Residents' Management...
            21-02-2018, 15:41 PM
          Working...
          X