Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

varying our leaseholder's lease

Hello

I am new to the forum, I hope you can help.

We are a block of 3. The freehold is held by 2 of the flats (owner occupied). Our leaseholder rents out his flat and we have had a nightmare over the years getting him to contribute to works etc.

We feel that we are being held to ransom by an absent leaseholder who is the minority in the building as he relies on the fact that we don't want to fight and would just like to live in peace. Its frustrating that he wants the benefit of us owner occupiers that want a nice home whilst he contributes very little.

The problem is made worse by the fact that we have a poorly worded and vague lease. Issues are arising regarding the intercom system, health and safety issues e.g. installing emergency lighting.

Our leaseholder will never agree to it but if 2 out of 3 leaseholders (both also being freeholders) agree ... can we apply to the LVT to vary the terms of all out leases to cover issues such as health and safety obligations etc that were never in the mind of lawyers drafting the original leases? what are the risks? and costs?
    Thank you for any assistance

Zena

I am afraid that you cannot change the lease terms along the lines you would like without the tenant's consent.

"he relies on the fact that we don't want to fight and would just like to live in peace"

You have to make a decision whether you let that go on.

Comment

But where they do no t agree you can resort to mediation arbitration or determination by the LVT.

Where the leaseholder will not consent to a variation you may be able to vary the lease, and corresponding leases ie the other 2, by application under section 35 and 36, and/or by majority under s37 of the landlord and Tenant Act 1987.

The grounds would be that the leases fail to make, in broad terms, satisfactory provision for repair of the building.

http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...asp?item=18#19
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you for your help.

I don't think section 35 will apply as we are a block of 3 flats. However section 37 may be helpful. If 2 out of the 3 leaseholders agree then we can make a majority application to the LVT include the one non-consenting lease. The Act doesn't seem to state that these leaseholders cannot also be freeholders.

I think we may need to take legal advice on whether our grounds are reasonable and cost risks.

Thank you again

Zena

Comment

Originally posted by zena View Post
          Thank you for your help.

I don't think section 35 will apply as we are a block of 3 flats. However section 37 may be helpful. If 2 out of the 3 leaseholders agree then we can make a majority application to the LVT include the one non-consenting lease. The Act doesn't seem to state that these leaseholders cannot also be freeholders.

I think we may need to take legal advice on whether our grounds are reasonable and cost risks.

Thank you again

Zena

Erm confused by the reply; you can apply as a leaseholder or freeholder(s). if you referring to the qualifier which from memory is 3 + flats, that refers to, eg, a head lease which contains 3 or more flats in one demise, not three flats with long leases and no intervening head lease.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• First time buyer & lease
            Sandtree
            We are about to buy our first property and a little disappointed by our conveyencer, despite their glowing reviews on Trust Pilot etc.

The property was built in 2002 as a pupose built block of flats originally with 125 year leases. The vendor has lived there for 5 years and other than one...
            16-07-2018, 15:24 PM
          • Reply to First time buyer & lease
            Gordon999
            If you are not happy to pay the service charge , then don't buy leasehold and instead look for a freehold house
            18-07-2018, 20:45 PM
          • Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
            asha
            I am a BTL leaseholder. My tenant did not send me the ground rent and service charges demands and court notices. Unlike the previous freeholder this one did not send me any papers at my residential home. Therefore the bailiffs were sent and the property taken by the freeholder. I am willing to pay all...
            15-07-2018, 21:25 PM
          • Reply to Forfeiture of lease by the Freeholder
            andydd
            You need to explain more. Why were letters sent to your tenant? Did you give the FH your actual address ? As mentioned forfeature is very rare and there would be a while host of court dates first...I assume you knew nothing of them.

I'd get in contact with a solicitor ASAP and show him...
            18-07-2018, 19:43 PM
          • Late ground rent payment charges including legal fees?
            Leaseholder GRS
            I moved to a new address and totally forgot to pay my half year ground rent to E&M that is £100 on 1st March. All the letter chase were sent to my old address and I didn't get passed on by my tenants in time, only got them yesterday.

The first reminder asks for ground rent plus 50...
            16-07-2018, 12:34 PM
          • Reply to Late ground rent payment charges including legal fees?
            andydd
            Extra costs are only payable IF the lease allows and IF demanded correctly with Administration Charges - Summary of Rights attached..the s146 clause can't be used for amounts under £350 also note this figure can't be bumped up by admin/legal charges. From what your lease days all you may owe extra...
            18-07-2018, 19:39 PM
          • Disputed Service Charge
            cottet03
            I've had a good search through the forum but can't quite find the answers I'm looking for... So here goes!

I purchased a leasehold flat in 2013 (ex-Local Authority and they remained the freeholder) which had a section 20 notice estimate for £7,000 (per flat - 4 of them but we are the only...
            17-07-2018, 14:37 PM
          • Reply to Disputed Service Charge
            eagle2
            You are right to pursue the formal complaint against the Council and you are right to chase them on a regular basis.

To be fair to the Council, it cannot be easy for them to deal with the complaint if documents are in the hands of the managing agents and letters and notices were issued...
            18-07-2018, 10:15 AM
          • Lease Extension Questions / S45 received
            ID1707
            Hi there, I am looking for some advice about a formal lease extension for a flat with 66 years left on the lease.

Based on a valuer calculation I have offered the FH a premium of £8.5k in the S42 and their counteroffer is £14.5k...which seems to also includes their fees (... the premium...
            17-07-2018, 09:38 AM
          • Reply to Lease Extension Questions / S45 received
            ID1707
            My offer/proposal was based on the RICS valuer guidelines and report. He suggested between £8k to £10k based on the property price.
            It was a formal extension via S42, so no GR, buying a new lease, etc.

My question is more about the process, i.e. is it just the matter of going up...
            18-07-2018, 09:42 AM
          Working...
          X