Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Leasehold from a Charity

Hi

I am looking to buy a long Leasehold (over 100 years) where the leaseholder is a charity - there are two other flats and one commercial unit in the building and all are let on long similar leases

Would you see any problem extendig the leasehold ? buying the freehold ? how can i check exactly the status of my freeholder as I beleive it is a charity but not a charitable housing trust?

Many thanks

pls read where the freeholder is a charity

Comment

You have the statutory right to seek a 90 year extension after being a leaseholder for 2 years.

The right to collective enfranchisement ( buying the freehold) depends on floor area of the commercial unit. Cannot buy if commercial portion floor space exceeds 25% of the entire building.

This information can be confirmed from the free guides at www.lease-advice.org

Comment

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/...nguage=English

Comment

thanks for that answer

In regards of extending the lease - this is very good news indeed that I should not worry about the status of the charity - is this due to the fact I have a long lease and hence the flat is not used for the purpose of charity ?

In regards of the freehold purchase - would you count the basement if any in those calculations ? I am suspecting there might be a basement below the commercial property with access from inside the restaurant - who shoud I ask for this you reckon as this will take the % from 25% to 40% ...

many thanks

Comment

tks for that link on charity comission - very useful indeed - I can definitely see that my freeholder is a registered charity but in eduaction - does that explicitely exclude it from being a charitable housing trust ? is there a register for housing trust ? can a charity move from eduation to housing trust ?
            I understand from the above that even if it were a chartiable housing trust, I would still be entitled to extending the lease ?
            Many thanks

Comment

Your rights to lease extension are contained in a free publication available by download from www.lease-advice.org

Comment

agree Gordon - I have followed your link - but those rights on the website exclude chartiable housing trust leasing for the purpose of charity hence my question about what is housing trust and is there a register for those ? and if any charity in education or any other freeholder can register itself as a housing trust ? and if the fact I am leasing long for over 100 years excludes the flat from being referred to as used for the purpose of charity ?
                Many thanks

Comment

Would anyone be able to advise on the last post pls
                  Many thanks
                  Wissam

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

firsttimermeg
                    20-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                  • Reply to first time buyer - Freeholder died
                    Gordon999
                    From other posts on arrears in ground rent, it seems the freeholder can only claim back 6 years.. You could ask the seller to pay the 6 years rent owed.

If the original lease started at 99 years , you may be facing a ground rent increase to double the current rent at 66 years....
                    20-07-2017, 20:26 PM
                  • Reply to first time buyer - Freeholder died
                    MrShed
                    I'm assuming as a first time buyer you are mortgaging - in which case, I think you have a more fundamental issue in that the lender is very unlikely to lend if you have less than 80 years on the lease...
                    20-07-2017, 19:59 PM
                  • Communal front garden issue
                    Pocahontas
                    Hello

I hope I'm posting in the right part of this forum. I need some some advice please.

I own the leasehold on my ground floor flat and the freeholder owns the flat upstairs and rents out to tenants.

New tenants moved in two weeks ago and since they have moved...
                    19-07-2017, 20:45 PM
                  • Reply to Communal front garden issue
                    Tipper
                    I've always found that if you don't want something just put it outside and it magically disappears!

(And I don't mean the council has cleared it but the totters have!)

Why don't you put a sign up offering free furniture to the taker?
                    20-07-2017, 19:37 PM
                  • Freehold management accounts
                    pernes
                    Hi, we have just received the year ending financial accounts, albeit late and after the agm.

the managing agent took control from the beginning of our financial year, a year ago, I'm trying to work out from the accounts produced by the RTM board year ending 2015, what the year end figure...
                    19-07-2017, 12:54 PM
                  • Reply to Freehold management accounts
                    pernes
                    Thank you for the reply
                    20-07-2017, 17:11 PM
                  • Reply to Freehold management accounts
                    MrSoffit
                    Just had a chat with the ico folks. As RAM said here...

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ta-Protection=

no need to register as data controller as a management company of service charges if not passing info to third parties or filming the premises. As for identifying individual...
                    20-07-2017, 15:48 PM
                    Pocahontas
                    Exactly! Plus I don't want other people thinking they can dump stuff other in the garden.

She definitely has abandoned it as I asked her and she said she doesn't want it but was just intending on leaving it there!...
                    20-07-2017, 11:24 AM
                    Pocahontas
                    Thanks for the responses, they are really helpful.

After speaking to the tenant yesterday, I put a note through her door so that I made it formal, my request that the furniture is removed.

I explained that it's a hazard and I am unable to maintain the gardens upkeep with...
                    20-07-2017, 11:10 AM
                  Working...
                  X