How to purchase freehold from Chancery St James

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to purchase freehold from Chancery St James

I own a semi detached house in Newcastle upon Tyne. I am a leaseholder & pay £35 per annum to Freehold Properties Limited c/o Chancery St James. The lease term was 99 years from 1 Oct 1972.

I wish to purchase the freehold & would be grateful for any advice regarding this.

I have read the following page from 2007 on the Landlordzone forum:
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...hp/t-4921.html

The second post from the bottom by tenant29 suggests 10 x annual rent. In my case 10 x 35=£350. The LVT 100 judgement mentioned (pdf file) is similar to my case in that it is also for a rent of £35 annum from Freehold Properties Limited c/o Chancery St James. It is 10 years old now, dated 2002.

Is it Chancery St James I would make the offer to, and could I make an offer of £350 plus legal costs say £200 to purchase the freehold (with a clean title, with no new covenants) enclosing a copy of the LVT 100 judgement to justify the offer price.

Or should I be offering £700 as the bottom post on the mentioned forum page states “20YP [=twenty years' purchase, meaning twenty times ground rent as purchase price] is good in most case. Anything less is very favourable to T. “

So any advice on this matter would be most appreciated.

The cost of freehold at 10 times annual rent quoted back in 2007 applied to leasehold houses on 999 year leases - Since the financial crisis in 2008 and low bank interest rate , recent LVT judgements on cost of buying the freehold has risen from the 10 times to now 14 times. Use Google search for past "LVT judgements" on "leasehold houses"

If your lease is only 99 years from 1972 , then you only have 59 years remaining on your lease and you most definitely have to extend your lease OR buy the freehold . The cost will be much higher -see sample in free guide from LEASE. You can download a free guide on extending the lease on your house or buying the freehold title of leasehold houses - from www.lease-advice.org

Comment

Thank you for your advice Gordon.

I have printed a guide from lease-advive.org.

When I search for past "LVT judgements" on "leasehold houses" most results are from landlordzone recommending www.rpts.gov.uk. This site then appears as justice.gov.uk mentioning removal in autumn 2011. I don't seem able to find the list of past judgements on leasehold houses. Could you point me in the right direction please. I have got to http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk but whenever I make a search under “Decisions” I don't get any results.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Variation of lease
        by scampicat
        I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
        25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
      • Reply to Variation of lease
        by sgclacy
        A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
        13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
      • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
        by Loque
        999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
        12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
      • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
        by sgclacy
        Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
        13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
      • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
        by chris1544
        We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
        12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
      • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
        by Gordon999
        Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
        12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
      • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
        by Lorimer
        There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
        12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
      • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
        by Stew
        sounds like a major win
        12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
      • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
        by KingstonBee
        Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
        10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
      • Reply to Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
        by ChrisDennison
        Well but who’s to judge that intention? If I as the freeholder only want women, kids and one armed pirates in my block of flats and therefore put a restriction of use to that extent in the lease isn’t that my pretty unambiguous intention?

Well put. I have a property with...
        12-08-2020, 19:14 PM
      Working...
      X