Service Charge Residential Management Code of Practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Charge Residential Management Code of Practice

This is normally bought from RICS booksellers but is also available free here.

Service Charge Residential Management Code - *LINK REMOVED AT REQUEST OF RICS*
    Last edited by Joe; 29-09-2014, 11:15 AM.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Ouch. I wish I hadn't paid £18 a month ago, it's a lot of money for 70 pages

Comment

It was only found recently, by accident.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I found it too by accident a while back although I think on a difdferent site, I was recently reading a consultation paper on suggested changes to RICS and one of them was thet the code should be free and distributed more so as to give leaseholders a better standing.

Andy
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
          Service Charge Residential Management Code *LINK REMOVED AT REQUEST OF RICS
          Or here, Actual RCIs 2nd edition, with covering page
          ( Looks professional on your desk, or at meetings )
          *LINK REMOVED AT REQUEST OF RICS*

with other info at *LINK REMOVED AT REQUEST OF RICS*

Don't have time at present to fill with good info, so if anyone has pdf
          copies of decent "need to know" info, send me a copy.

R.a.M.
          Last edited by Joe; 29-09-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Ram, an unofficial source of the document may breach copyright laws, are you sure that link is legitimate?
            I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
              Ram, an unofficial source of the document may breach copyright laws, are you sure that link is legitimate?
              If the RICS code on both sites, is word for word, from 1.1 to 21.6 plus items below,
              and identical, then that makes ALL links subject to copyright, and both links should be removed. ?

however, the first link is not updated, and is just what was agreed at the time.
              But the second link is updated, ( mine ) and should be seen as a definitive code
              of practice.

Many people will welcome sight ot the document, and it's up to them if they wish
              to see an updated copy or not. ( Best to see updated copies )

Thanks.

R.a.M.

Comment

I just think that legislation.gov.uk is more likely to be an authorised distributor than freespace.virgin.net
                I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
                  I just think that legislation.gov.uk is more likely to be an authorised distributor than freespace.virgin.net
                  legislation.gov.uk has not entered into a contract to distribute RICS material,
                  as far as I know.
                  Legislation.gov.uk are only publicising what happend, they are not a distributor
                  for RICS, otherwise they would have a "Shop" for you to purchase the item.

if RICS wish to sue me, that is their right, but it was not me that scanned
                  the document.

If you are worried about copyright, delete every post bar post number one,
                  but bear in mind the legislation.gov.uk is showing edition 0, ( zero ) as that's
                  all they are reporting on, the draft that was sent into them, modified as required.
                  And a statement as such that it is not the latest edition, which is now number 2.

freespace.virgin.net is a holder of data for millions of people, they are not
                  responsible for the content.

If RICS is worried, they may contact any website, and have any suspect material
                  removed.
                  As they have not contacted virgin.net ( the document is still there ) then they
                  are not worried. If you find the document deleted in future, then one can assume
                  it was copyright material. If it remains there indefinitely, make you own conclusions.

As organisations and people on here are requesting it be made freely available, so that
                  it makes for better freeholders and landlords, then I sanction that.

Regards,

R.a.M.

Comment

Ram honestly just for once please avoid arguing a pointless argument?

The code of practice is created under statute and has a proper and legitimate home at legislation.gov.uk. which is free and open access to all.

© Crown copyright You may use and re-use the information featured on this website (not including logos) free of charge in any format or medium, under the terms of the Open Government Licence
                    The RICS also publish it in their own binding which is, word for word, the same.

Your link to that copy is however a breach of copyright.

I have asked for this thread to be open and made into the first Sticky on Long leasehold, so that questions can be asked on the code, nothing else.

Please respect that or I will ask the Site to remove all comments and have the thread locked.

Don't ruin a good thing please...

Comment

The RICS Code - two points

1. The 2nd Edition of the Code does not apply to Wales and (as far as I am aware) it has not been approved for use in Wales under LTA 1987 s.24.
                      2. The RICS is apparently considering further updates to the 2nd Edition of the Code.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by thebrief View Post
                        1. The 2nd Edition of the Code does not apply to Wales and (as far as I am aware) it has not been approved for use in Wales under LTA 1987 s.24.
                        2. The RICS is apparently considering further updates to the 2nd Edition of the Code.

Mark
                        1: It is clearly stated in the code that it only applies to England

2: The code remains in force until amended, however case law or ( rarely) legislation may be such that the application of the code may be changed or superseded.

Comment

In preparing my LVT application Ive managed to listed 20 breaches of the code by my FH, anyone beat that ?
                          Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                            jerome_sw
                            Please can someone clarify the meaning of this section of the lease;

"to indemnify the landlords against all costs charges and expenses (including legal costs and fees payable to any surveyor) which may be incurred or be borne by the landlords
                            (a) in or in contemplation of any...
                            20-08-2017, 11:45 AM
                          • Reply to Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                            jerome_sw
                            We are due to attend the FTT on the breach of covenant so if they deem the breach to have occurred then I am thinking (b) could apply. In any event I think (c) would apply as the costs have been incurred in pursuing the leaseholder to remedy the breach and repair the property back to it's original state....
                            20-08-2017, 20:37 PM
                          • Ground rent rpi base
                            landforce
                            Hi.

Hopefully an easy question but does anyone know if when the ground rent is rpi linked is it from when the leasehold was set up or when you purchased the property. I.e if leasehold was set up in dec 12 but the property was purchased in Sept 13 is the base from dec12 or Sept 13?...
                            20-08-2017, 08:48 AM
                          • Reply to Ground rent rpi base
                            sgclacy
                            The 1993 Act did not regard ground rents of little signicance - the full value had to be reflected in the valuation

by having a nil ground rent it was deigned to make it a complete formality for a lender to agree to the deed, originally it was intended that mortgagees consent would not...
                            20-08-2017, 15:31 PM
                          • Reply to Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                            andydd
                            Yes generally accepting the lease as continuing (by demanding and accepting rent/services charges) means you have waived any right to forfeit and so any right to costs, Im really not sure what b) and c) mean, a|) is the standard clause in most leases, Im not sure b) or c) cover breach of a covenant...
                            20-08-2017, 14:16 PM
                            MrSoffit
                            "Two properties exactly the same one with a ground rent of a peppercorn and the other with a rent of £250 per annum will attract two differing sale prices. The one with a ground rent will clearly sell for less and the discount in the price is in effect a loan and the interest on that loan is in...
                            20-08-2017, 13:39 PM
                            sgclacy
                            Rents linked to the RPI protects both the landlord and the tenant. From the landlords perspective it protects the rent from the adverse effects of inflation and from the Tenants point of view protects them from the consequences of the estimate of future inflation being wrong. For example if inflation...
                            20-08-2017, 11:53 AM
                            MrSoffit
                            I ran some capitalisations assuming an original 99 year lease worth £100K when new with 79 years term left to run using the following variables:-

Increment rate (years): 15, 20, 25, 33
                            Method: RPI% @ 2.5%,3.5%,4.5% versus fixed doubling
                            Initial amounts: £100, £150, £200,...
                            20-08-2017, 11:08 AM
                          • Calling a meeting
                            surreygirl
                            We have not had a meeting for about four years and know nothing about the accounts or what is happening as I am not notified about a thing. When I asked for information about the accounts I was told to go to the Companies House web site but that doesnt tell me a thing.

I have sent out a...
                            19-08-2017, 19:37 PM
                          • Reply to Calling a meeting
                            MrSoffit
                            Hi,

I have no connection other than reading RAM's posts but in this case I'd probably follow whatever RAM suggests.

S21 is like all leaseholder rights - a chocolate fireguard. Yes there is a criminal offence and a fine. Wooo, scare me, they say.

The Court of Appeal...
                            20-08-2017, 10:52 AM
                          Working...
                          X