X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

76 year lease on share of freehold

Hi there,

This is a leasehold length on a share of freehold question:

A few months ago I had my offer accepted on a flat marketed as 'share of freehold'.

Quite some time later I found that the lease on the property was 76 years.

I have used this issue as a point of negotiation with the vendor as I'm uncomfortable with the lease length and, although very helpful with an offer to go halves on the legal costs, he refuses to extend the lease before purchase as it will slow down their 'chain'. (I am chain free - everyone in their chain is ready to exchange).

The other two flats in the house have the same length lease and, I am told by the vendor, would be willing to extend their leases too.

What are the worst case scenarios if I go ahead and purchase without lease extension?

Are they: The other freeholders don't wish to pay for the cost of it and I have to fund it? One of the other freeholders is absent and I can't therefore get the lease extended?

What other problems could I face? And should I put my foot down and ask for the lease extension regardless of the chain?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

You are not in a position to "put your foot down" because the existing owner can sell to whomever they wish.

The Leasehold Reform Act 1993 gives lessees the right to extend their lease by a minimum of 90 years. Recommend that you look at the Leasehold Advisory Service website as a starting point.

There isn't a problem per se if you buy a lease which has 76 years unexpired. I don't actually think you have a problem here at all. By virtue of the fact that you will purchase a share of the freehold and the other lessees also own an equal proportion of the freehold, when y'all decide to extend your leases you will all pay one third of the legal cost. Matters such as eligibility, valuation, marriage value are irrelevant because there's no need to convince the freeholder because you already are the freeholder!

You want to avoid coming across to the existing owner as not knowing what your rights are in this particular set of circumstances and not appreciating/understanding this perfectly viable situation. Believe me, you are not in a disadvantaged position in this particular purchase.

You should be more concerned, in my opinion, that all three lessees can agree on the big things such as maintenance of the building.

Do some research and see if I'm not wrong.

Comment

Hi Poppy,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
        You are not in a position to "put your foot down" because the existing owner can sell to whomever they wish.

The Leasehold Reform Act 1993 gives lessees the right to extend their lease by a minimum of 90 years. Recommend that you look at the Leasehold Advisory Service website as a starting point.

There isn't a problem per se if you buy a lease which has 76 years unexpired. I don't actually think you have a problem here at all. By virtue of the fact that you will purchase a share of the freehold and the other lessees also own an equal proportion of the freehold, when y'all decide to extend your leases you will all pay one third of the legal cost. Matters such as eligibility, valuation, marriage value are irrelevant because there's no need to convince the freeholder because you already are the freeholder!

If you can't procure their co-operation, you could individually extend by 90 yrs but this would need court order to cover reluctant participant. Get your V to serve s.42 Notice and assign it to you, in case you need it.
        You want to avoid coming across to the existing owner as not knowing what your rights are in this particular set of circumstances and not appreciating/understanding this perfectly viable situation. Believe me, you are not in a disadvantaged position in this particular purchase.

You should be more concerned, in my opinion, that all three lessees can agree on the big things such as maintenance of the building.

Do some research and see if I'm not wrong.
        I agree that there's no insuperable problem in buying 76 yr lease- but inevitably its shortness inflates val. of f/r. If collective lessees already own f/r, you must make sure that you acquire a share in it when you acquire leasehold. All of you can then jointly arrange sureenders/ re-grants for 999 yr terms.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

(2nd reply)
          Still ask your V to serve s.42 Notice and assign it to you. This protects you in case other lessees won't cooperate in all extending all leases eg to 999yrs.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Talk to the other lessees also to check a) their attitude and b) that they are the people that own the freehold and there isn't a missing freeholder!

Unfortunately this does happen - see the threads referred to in: http://www.houseweb.co.uk/house/foru...ML/000278.html
            RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
              20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
            • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              would this be a good starting point?

https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/how...eing-used-for/...
              25-05-2022, 15:37 PM
            • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              As in a simple application to the old managing agent Or freeholder? Which one?

To provide all accounts and payments based on the fact that we disagree with the charges? How far back can we go? And does having paid the service charges mean we have agreed to these?

Thanks for...
              25-05-2022, 15:31 PM
            • Reply to Freehold confusion
              by Section20z
              It's never advisable , it can cause serious issues if you have a claim affecting communal areas. For buildings insurance the whole property should be covered and the cost split between the two flats.
              The only problem with an absent freeholder is that when selling the flat a pernickity solicitor...
              25-05-2022, 10:02 AM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Stu1020
              eagle2,

Thank you for the response.
              25-05-2022, 09:40 AM
            • Reply to Freehold confusion
              by AndrewDod
              There is no cast iron rule that the freehold "share" has to be transferred with any sale. You may need to purchase it from the friend (or his estate)....
              25-05-2022, 09:22 AM
            • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Stu1020
              Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
              20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by eagle2
              I suggest that you ask the other 2 leaseholders to explain why they consider that the current allocation is fair. The freeholder has the right to review the allocation from time to time. Unfortunately, a "fair proportion" means that several alternatives would be considered reasonable to a...
              25-05-2022, 06:27 AM
            • RTM Hand Over Issues
              by martin15
              RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
              Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
              23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
            • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
              by eagle2
              You appear to have a claim against the freeholder, not the individual companies, who are acting as agent for the freeholder. A Tribunal does not have the jurisdiction to deal with monies which should be handed over, it is a matter for the courts,
              25-05-2022, 06:16 AM
            Working...
            X