Protocol for LVT to Agree Breach of Lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protocol for LVT to Agree Breach of Lease

From previous posts I am at odds with the Leaseholders of my property. I have gone through various hoops to rectify the problems but No is no. I instructed the "Solicitor" to instigate proceedings for Breach. Now four weeks later he is saying he and the "property department" doesn't know where to start.

My understanding is that I approach the LVT who will determine if a Breach has occurred, then when it is determined I can instigate returning to the LVT for forfeiture.

Can anyone explain what the process is to instigate proceedings to the LVT to determine if there is a Breach of Lease.

I entered the term "leasehold valuation tribunal" in a search engine. I identified The Residential Property Tribunal Service as the likely body that deals with leasehold disputes. Is this what you're looking for?

Additionally have a read of the Leasehold Advisory Service page entitled Application to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal.

If you're that way inclined you can read the Leasehold Valuation Tribunals (Procedure) (England) Regulations 2003 legislation. The fees are listed in Leasehold Valuation Tribunals (Fees)(England) Regulations 2003.

In fact I found quite a number of "dot gov dot uk" results. Have a look for yourself.

Interestingly the search results also brought back The Lands Tribunal Service, but we don't need it today thankfully - but it's nice to know that it exists.

Comment

Any thoughts about finding an alternative solicitor? (I have sent you a PM.)

Spoke to a solicitor today who definitely has experience of bringing cases to a Leasehold Valuation Tribunal for breaches.

Mr Martin Barrett
      Comptons Solicitors
      90-92 Parkway
      Regent's Park
      London NW1 7AN
      020 7485 0888

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
        Any thoughts about finding an alternative solicitor? (I have sent you a PM.)

Spoke to a solicitor today who definitely has experience of bringing cases to a Leasehold Valuation Tribunal for breaches.

Mr Martin Barrett
        Comptons Solicitors
        90-92 Parkway
        Regent's Park
        London NW1 7AN
        020 7485 0888
        Also try Mark Hessel at Reid Minty llp (020-7318 4444 or www.reidminty.co.uk or MHessel@reidminty.co.uk).
        I have worked in conjunction with him and he seems to know his stuff!
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• AGM cancelled.
          by Grumio
          Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
          26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
        • Reply to AGM cancelled.
          by Grumio
          One of the directors is cooperating, but we’re not sure if that’s enough. He’s going to register us at companies house regardless of what the other 2 say. His view on the situation is, leaseholders are entitled to be directors, there is nothing in the articles that state directors must be approved...
          26-01-2022, 20:26 PM
          by Grumio
          Thanks for the reply,

The directors issued the invitations. The AGM wasn’t adjourned or postponed, it was cancelled. Fortunately one of the directors is more than happy to go ahead with the process even if the other two don’t want to get involved....
          26-01-2022, 20:16 PM
        • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
          by Santa Fe
          Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
          24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
        • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
          by Section20z
          Any examples please of tribunal increasing a percentage specified in a lease ? Thank you....
          26-01-2022, 19:22 PM
        • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
          by Macromia
          Agreed, but the issue here is that the lease that the person complaining has doesn't say that they are required to pay 25%, it apparently says that they have to pay "a fair and reasonable proportion".

With this being the case, they are fully entitled to challenge an equal split...
          26-01-2022, 19:07 PM
        • Reply to Who owns the windows in a flat above a commercial premises
          by Macromia
          Very true.
          This doesn't answer the question of who is responsible, but it could potentially be cheaper (and less hassle) for the OP if they can find a company willing to replace the windows without scaffolding.
          There is, of course, the possibility that the freeholder would refuse to allow...
          26-01-2022, 18:41 PM
        • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
          by Macromia
          For something like this, the reasons are of vital importance.
          Anyone can, of course, choose not to reveal details, but anyone making that choice should not complain at all if other forum users respond with answers that the person who isn't being completely open considers not to be relevant....
          26-01-2022, 18:37 PM
          by fos333
          If invitations were sent out then it can't be cancelled, it can be adjourned, postponed, however, if the other director is willing to go ahead with the meeting it will be a valid meeting as long as it's quorate. I don't agree with eagle2 that it will only be seen as an informal meeting, all directors...
          26-01-2022, 18:19 PM
        • Reply to Who owns the windows in a flat above a commercial premises
          by royw
          Most windows can be replaced from the inside without the need for scaffolding which will make it much cheaper.
          26-01-2022, 18:04 PM
        Working...
        X