Freeholder's rights to erect scaffolding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder's rights to erect scaffolding

Hi - would be grateful for any advice out there to help us resolve a legal matter over our building development rights.

We are the owners of an end of terrace 1st floor flat, and are looking to develop our loft space to build a new floor above our existing flat. Planning permission has been granted for this building work and we are the freeholders of both our flat and the property below. We are not, however, the leaseholders of that property below, and do not own the garden to the front or rear, which comes with the downstairs lease. According to the terms of the covenant between us, we have the right to access the front garden (for the purpose of having a space for our dustbins) and we have the right to access any area of the freehold land for the purpose of mainetance of any part of the property we're reponsible for (the roof, for example, but not the foundations). What the covenant is silent on, however, is our right to access the other leaseholder's land if we choose to develop our own leasehold land.

Does anyone know where we stand on this matter? The other point we looked at was our right of access via the terms of the Party Wall Act. Where we're building, though, is the loft space, so any walls involved will not be party walls - instead, they form part of the overall party structure of the building.

Any advice would be gratefully received! Many thanks

You need a solicitor to check the wording of all leases on access rights.

Comment

Thanks, Gordon. What if the covenant between us is silent on the matter of access for development? It looks like we've got access to the front - largely because they recognise we need somewhere to place our dustbin. Clearly we don't have access to their back garden, but if we were re-roofing the building, they'd have to co-operate on the grounds that we're the freeholder. If we're doing work for our own benefit, though - which is the nature of this loft conversion - do we risk being in the same situation as with any other neighbour? In other words, unless they agree to the scaffolding, we are trespassing on their property?

Comment

The answer comes in 3 parts

!; the rights under the lease
        2: The rights under The Access to Neighbouring Land Act
        3: Any statutory or equitable rights, particularly those protecting the lower flat from noise interference etc.

Most of these issues are resolved by a simple discussion, consideration and the exchange of money...

And don't forge that your service charge or insurance proportionment might have to change to reflect the newer larger flat above, for example a 50.50 split might now be 2/3rd and 1/3rd.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Is your roof in good condition overall? Is it in need of any repairs (even minor) regardless of the loft conversion? If so, then you can say that the roof needs to be fixed anyway and scaffolding is required to carry out the repairs, which the leaseholder must accept per the terms and conditions of the lease. At the same time, take the opportunity that scaffolding is erected to get your loft conversion done. If the leaseholder is really picky, make sure you appoint a surveyor to report on the existing roof conditions to justify the presence of scaffolding.

Comment

Nice try, but the statutory notice for planning consent might expose it as the trick that it is.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by eagle2
              The cost of extending a lease is not a service charge expense so there is no reason to allocate it on the 38/31/31 basis, your offer to split those costs equally seems to be reasonable. It is up to the freeholder to decide what is fair and reasonable for the service charges and it is up to the other...
              28-05-2022, 05:29 AM
            • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Stu1020
              Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
              20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
            • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
              by eagle2
              Unless the handover took place at the end of the financial year, it is the RTM's responsibility to produce the annual accounts. You could try making a formal complaint against the agent to supply copies of all supporting documents, it should belong to a redress scheme. The difficulty is that the agent...
              28-05-2022, 05:05 AM
            • Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
              20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
            • Reply to Freehold confusion
              by CStevens
              davetg,

The property should be registered so the land registry should hold a copy of the leases. You would need to look at the leases to see who is responsible for what but normally in a maisonette situation the freeholder would insure and maintain the structure, foundation and roof with...
              27-05-2022, 21:58 PM
            • Freehold confusion
              by davetg
              30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
              24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
              by CStevens
              Yeah i guess i would agree with that but, as you say, the value is only to the leaseholders and a freehold subject to 999 years is not worth a great deal of money to anyone other than the occupants and in fact, if the leases are drafted correctly, they should require the leaseholders to become members...
              27-05-2022, 21:52 PM
            • Reply to 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
              by Gordon999
              Flashback1966,

I suggest you reply to leaseholder's solicitor and request a copy of the land registry title to confirm the name of new leaseholder plus £15 registration fee.
              27-05-2022, 18:05 PM
            • 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
              by Flashback1966
              I am a Freeholder. Have a flat there too. I have received an email from the leaseholder's soclitors acting for Mr A. They are doing a 2-1 transfer from the names of Mr A and Ms B to just Mr.

The solicitors want to know the requirements on completion.

Is is just a notice of...
              26-05-2022, 18:46 PM
              by davetg
              Thanks for the replies:-
              My friend is alive and well and shows up on google as he is very high up in a big American telecoms company so I should be able to get back in touch.

I can't see my friend having any problem with the TR1 me replacing him on the freehold was always what was...
              27-05-2022, 16:50 PM
            Working...
            X