Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extending the lease

Hello People,

I'm new to this forum & apologise if this question has already been answered. I could not find any other post which dealt with the topic & do not expect this issue arises that frequently.

I am in the process of purchasing a flat which has a relativity short lease. The vendor has submitted the ‘notice’ to the freeholder, which in turn has been acknowledged & they are now in possession of a counter-notice. I have search the Internet & found that the ‘benefit’ of this notice needs to be transfer across to me on day of completion to give me the right to proceed with the statutory lease extension as we are due to complete on wednesday. Can anyone advise of what information needs to be on this document? I have searched the Internet & found a template which can be seen below. Does this document not require my signature or need to be witnessed by a third party? Is there any requirement to have a specialized solicitor involved? Many thanks for reading this post & for any advise you can give.

Leasehold reform, housing and urban development act 1993
    Section 14(2)

Participating tenant: Notice of assignment

To: (I think this will be me)

This notice relates to property known as (insert address of property)

We do elect to participate in the proposed acquisition of the specified premises known as (insert address of property)

Signed

Assignee (the current owners)

Notes (is this also required?)
    1. Where a lease of a participating tenant is assigned, the assignee can be substituted as a participating tenant. Whether he or she wishes to participate in the acquisition or not, he or she must notify the nominee purchaser.

2. Assignment includes a assent by personal representatives, and assignment by operation of law to a trustee in bankruptcy or mortgage through foreclosure, and ‘assignee’ is to be construed accordingly: section14(9) of the Act.

3. This notice must be give within 14 days of assignment.

The form seems to be a Notice only.
    What you need is a Deed of Assignment, vesting V's statutory rights in you as P. You can then pick up where V leaves off. Do you want me to act for you in that part of the work, or are your existing sols. able to handle it?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Yes, just what is your solicitor doing for you?

Comment

Jeffery / Poppy, thanks for your replies. Due to the lack of time involved I was planning to buy the relevant form online, fill in the blanks (address/vendor details) & pop round to the vendors flat to get it signed / witnessed. Is that not recommended? From what I have read on the internet (which I know should never be relied upon) I am under the impression that this ‘deed of assignment’ needs to be signed & witnessed no later than on the day of completion (which is on Wednesday). Neither of the conveyancing solicitors have had any involvement with the lease extension thus far. All documentation has been provided by the vendor (with the help of a neighbour who has already extended the lease on their flat). I have found another draft form on http://www.clickdocs.co.uk/samples/assignment.pdf ,can you advise if this the one I need?

thanks,

John

Comment

Is your solicitor one of those arm's length fixed price conveyancers located in a completely different part of the country from where you live?

If that's so, that is (probably) counting against you because your purchase is complicated by it being a lease and that you want the existing lessee's rights to extend the term.

I think it is best that your solicitor is involved with drawing up and executing any deeds which must be in place on or before exchange. Get on their case. Make sure they understand what is required. Chase up frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by John-walker View Post
            Jeffery / Poppy, thanks for your replies. Due to the lack of time involved I was planning to buy the relevant form online, fill in the blanks (address/vendor details) & pop round to the vendors flat to get it signed / witnessed. Is that not recommended? From what I have read on the internet (which I know should never be relied upon) I am under the impression that this ‘deed of assignment’ needs to be signed & witnessed no later than on the day of completion (which is on Wednesday). Neither of the conveyancing solicitors have had any involvement with the lease extension thus far. All documentation has been provided by the vendor (with the help of a neighbour who has already extended the lease on their flat). I have found another draft form on http://www.clickdocs.co.uk/samples/assignment.pdf ,can you advise if this the one I need?

thanks,

John
            No- that form (only partly legible due to wide red stripe down middle, probably to stop you using it) is just a basic Assignment.
            You need a more specific Deed, relating to the vendor leaseholder's statutory notice which establishes the rights.
            If your own solicitor won't or can't help, contact me direct.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Poppy / Jeffery,

Thanks again for your advice. That's right, my solicitor either can't or won't help me with this, I’m not sure if she knows that much about this field. I will speak to the vendor & probably contact you directly Jeffery,

Regards,

John

Comment

John-walker I hope you appreciate that no one on an internet forum should ever advocate tinkering with legally binding agreements of which the parties have no real knowledge of whether the agreement reflects the desired legal intention in the first place.

Bear in mind that extending the lease is open to negotiation between the freeholder and the lessee at any time during ownership. Have you ever spoken to the freeholder about their thoughts and attitude? Surely you'd want to know a bit about the freeholder before buying a lease to which you bear an obligation?

Comment

Take a look at the Leasehold Advisory Service website.

Comment

thanks for your help,

john

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
                      by Grumio
                      It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
                      26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
                    • AGM cancelled.
                      by Grumio
                      Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                      26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                    • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                      by sgclacy
                      Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
                      26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
                      by Section20z
                      You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
                      freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
                      26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
                    • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                      by Santa Fe
                      Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
                      24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
                    • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                      by Section20z
                      Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
                      26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
                      by eagle2
                      Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
                      26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
                    • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                      by eagle2
                      I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
                      26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
                      by fos333
                      Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
                      26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
                      by Gordon999
                      If you ask for a statutory 90 years lease extension , the annual ground rent is a peppercorn .
                      26-01-2022, 09:54 AM
                    Working...
                    X