Solicitor/conveyancer required for sale of freehold to leaseholders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitor/conveyancer required for sale of freehold to leaseholders?

Hi,
    I own the freehold for a house that was converted to two flats sold on 99 year leases. I have reached agreement with the leaseholders to sell them the entire freehold for £4,000.

My questions are will I need to go through a solicitor and/or conveyancer? I was hoping for a quick hassle free transfer as the amount is so small and it is all amicable!

If I do need representation, roughly how much will it cost and can they represent all three parties themselves?
    Thanks for reading!

Not unless there is work requiring their involvement.

Bear in mind that the time to learn what to do might be more than paying someone £200 or so plus any disbursement.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

The solicitors costs would be born by the 2 leaseholders and not by yourself.

Comment

The amount seems very low! Where is it? I note you are in London..
        Have you been served any notices or have you just been approached privately by the leaseholders?How long left on the leases? How much are the ground rents?

Comment

Hi, I was approached privately. The two flats have a total value of 350,000 but still 99 years remaining! Ground rent is only 100 per year.

The leaseholders dont think they should pay legal costs on top and as it is not an enforced sale I guess they are not obliged to..

I think 'leaseholdanswers' is right and it might be worth paying someone a couple hundred. If anyone can reccomended fixed price lawyers in northwest london - that would be appreciated!

Comment

But Hollyhead does raise a good point on value which was not a question you asked. On the basis of the lease information posted the value, using the lease_advice calculator, might be in the region of £3000 to £4000 for a lease extension per property, plus a small premium for the ownership of the freehold and the implicit right to manage, as well as taking it no account any hope value or development value.

After using this and a few of the other ones available you might want to consider getting a valuation for a local chartered valuation surveyor, and an assessment of the level of interest,and then offering them the right of first refusal at another value. The risk is that they wont pay, and that the likelihood of a lease extension being applied for is some years away, the level of interest may not be spectacular.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Try getting a quote from Mills Curry Solicitors based in Eastcote ( on Metropolitan Line about 2 stops after Harrow ).

Comment

Thanks to all!

Comment

Since the leaseholders approached you, they should pay the legal costs. Unless, of course, you are desperate for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by bbva View Post
                    Since the leaseholders approached you, they should pay the legal costs. Unless, of course, you are desperate for the money.
                    There is no should about it, it is simply a matter of negotiation.

Comment

Taking all your advice, I shopped around but the most anyone is prepared to offer me for the flats is £5250 (at least that is £250 extra profit!). However, something interesting cropped up - both of the leaseholders rent out their flats. I have never given permission to do this (through the leasehold documents do not state that permission is needed) but is their an implied requirement for landlords permission? Ta

Comment

No if their lease does not require them to ask the Landlord for permission to sublet then they don't require permission! Does the lease say anything about subletting?

Comment

There may be a requirement to simply notify you of the subletting

Comment

Oh well worth a try!
                            Nothing in lease about it so always a long shot.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                              by eagle2
                              The cost of extending a lease is not a service charge expense so there is no reason to allocate it on the 38/31/31 basis, your offer to split those costs equally seems to be reasonable. It is up to the freeholder to decide what is fair and reasonable for the service charges and it is up to the other...
                              28-05-2022, 05:29 AM
                            • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                              by Stu1020
                              Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
                              20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
                            • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                              by eagle2
                              Unless the handover took place at the end of the financial year, it is the RTM's responsibility to produce the annual accounts. You could try making a formal complaint against the agent to supply copies of all supporting documents, it should belong to a redress scheme. The difficulty is that the agent...
                              28-05-2022, 05:05 AM
                            • Old managing agents accounts
                              by jazzythumper
                              Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                              20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                            • Freehold confusion
                              by davetg
                              30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
                              24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
                            • Reply to Freehold confusion
                              by CStevens
                              davetg,

The property should be registered so the land registry should hold a copy of the leases. You would need to look at the leases to see who is responsible for what but normally in a maisonette situation the freeholder would insure and maintain the structure, foundation and roof with...
                              27-05-2022, 21:58 PM
                              by CStevens
                              Yeah i guess i would agree with that but, as you say, the value is only to the leaseholders and a freehold subject to 999 years is not worth a great deal of money to anyone other than the occupants and in fact, if the leases are drafted correctly, they should require the leaseholders to become members...
                              27-05-2022, 21:52 PM
                            • 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                              by Flashback1966
                              I am a Freeholder. Have a flat there too. I have received an email from the leaseholder's soclitors acting for Mr A. They are doing a 2-1 transfer from the names of Mr A and Ms B to just Mr.

The solicitors want to know the requirements on completion.

Is is just a notice of...
                              26-05-2022, 18:46 PM
                            • Reply to 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                              by Gordon999
                              Flashback1966,

I suggest you reply to leaseholder's solicitor and request a copy of the land registry title to confirm the name of new leaseholder plus £15 registration fee.
                              27-05-2022, 18:05 PM
                              by davetg
                              Thanks for the replies:-
                              My friend is alive and well and shows up on google as he is very high up in a big American telecoms company so I should be able to get back in touch.

I can't see my friend having any problem with the TR1 me replacing him on the freehold was always what was...
                              27-05-2022, 16:50 PM
                            Working...
                            X