What does a freeholder have to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does a freeholder have to do?

I am in the process of selling a flat and now the purchase can only go ahead if I retain the freehold as the other flat owner (in a shared freehold) won't sign it over to the buyer. What responsibilities does the freeholder have. I am OK to do this as long as I have no financial obligations etc. just freeholder in name only. Should I go ahead?

Oh dear!

Your responsibilities as a freeholder are defined in the terms of the lease. Time to read it I think.

This is all dependent on the terms of the lease. A freeholder is usually responsible for the maintenance, repair and renewal of the structure and common parts of the building. The freeholder usually organises the buildings insurance. The freeholder decides on work to be done and collects the service charge from the lessees. The ground rent is payable to the freeholder.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I have checked through the lease and cannot see anything pertaining to the freeholder. I have made an appointment with the solicitor to see if he can help.

Comment

Leases use the terms "Lessee" and "Lessor", where the lessee is the person owning the lease and the lessor owns the freehold.

Comment

Many thanks for your help, the solicitor is going to write a letter saying we will take her to court over "unreasonably with-holding her signature" and will ask for costs, requiring a reply in 7 days. So hopefully she will sign and that will be that, I can then look for a new flat to let.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X