can a restrictive entry be placed with Land Registry in regards to RTM ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can a restrictive entry be placed with Land Registry in regards to RTM ?

RTM in place,can I the freeholder put a restriction in at land registry to stop them selling without the RTM asking my permission (1 months notice,in accordance with the RTM lesislation)
    Does anybody know what form I need if it can be done?

Also the leases state:
    Not to assign the premises until the proposed assignee shall have entered into a direct covenant with the lessor to observe and perform the obligations on the part of the lessee contained in this schedule in particular this clause.
    I know what form I need to fill out at land registry for this its a form m!they are sending me the forms to complete.would this be all that is needed or would it be advisable to do the above question also?

Originally posted by hollyhead View Post
    RTM in place,can I the freeholder put a restriction in at land registry to stop them selling without the RTM asking my permission (1 months notice,in accordance with the RTM lesislation)
    Does anybody know what form I need if it can be done?

Also the leases state:
    Not to assign the premises until the proposed assignee shall have entered into a direct covenant with the lessor to observe and perform the obligations on the part of the lessee contained in this schedule in particular this clause.
    I know what form I need to fill out at land registry for this its a form m!they are sending me the forms to complete.would this be all that is needed or would it be advisable to do the above question also?
    Only with the express consent of the parties to each lease can you enter a restriction on title.

Your question is however wrong. On the basis of the post consent is not required. The lessee is simply required to ensure that the new lessee enters into a direct covenant with "the lessor" as to the obligation in the clause and schedule referred to. Unless that touches on matters that you are responsible for, then under RTM, the term"lessor" means the RTM.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you but this is where it becomes interesting:
      I have been advised it is the freeholder and not the RTM that have the authority to enter into/sign covenants with assignees. This is because the RTM is a creature of statute and its functions are limited to only those matters contained in the commonhold and leasehold reform act 2002. Theese functions do not extend to rights that run with the land (also known as 'rights in rem') or matters pertaining to privity of estate(between the freeholder and the tenant).
      Comments very welcome!
      Also the RTM legislation states that the landlord has to be given 1 months notice on approvals and selling,are you saying that unless the leases state approval must be sought,this does not count?
      I read it as all landlords must be given 1 months notice (even if the lease does not state this!) Am I wrong?

Comment

Thank you but this is where it becomes interesting:
        I have been advised it is the freeholder and not the RTM that have the authority to enter into/sign covenants with assignees. This is because the RTM is a creature of statute and its functions are limited to only those matters contained in the commonhold and leasehold reform act 2002. Theese functions do not extend to rights that run with the land (also known as 'rights in rem') or matters pertaining to privity of estate(between the freeholder and the tenant).
        Comments very welcome!
        Also the RTM legislation states that the landlord has to be given 1 months notice on approvals and selling,are you saying that unless the leases state approval must be sought,this does not count?
        I read it as all landlords must be given 1 months notice (even if the lease does not state this!) Am I wrong?
        Well that's right; so that's why it depends in the wording of the clause and schedule. If the function of the covenant refers solely to the function taken under statute by the RTM, then the deed, in any case, would read Hollyhead and A N Other, but the RTM are those that enforce it ( except in the case of forfeiture as a remedy or if it also relates to payment of rent). I am sorry but I was approaching from the practical point of view* rather than what is actually written on paper in a deed.

*(In the same way as you read the lease, and see "lessor" you have to read that as RTM ( save for exceptions such as forfeiture))

Consent is not required, as in the absence of another clause elsewhere in the lease, it is simply a requirement not to assign until a deed is in place.

Notification under RTM is an entirely separate matter.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

ok thank you ,thats very helpful.
          I must remember to think of them seprately!:~)
          what happens if the rtm do not give me notice,and a flat is sold with arrears of previous years service charges and ground rent owed to me? apart from not complying with the legislation what happens about the money thats owed? Do I hold the rtm reponsible and sue the RTM for damages? I think a situation is comming up and i want to fully understand what might happen!

Comment

what happens if the rtm do not give me notice,
            and a flat is sold with arrears of previous years service charges and ground rent
            owed to me? sue the RTM for damages?
            The solicitors acting for the buyer will ask the RTM company if the service
            charge payments and ground rent is up to date. It is up to the RTM to answer
            these questions. If service charge and ground rent is not fully paid up, then
            the buyer ( solcitors ) will ask and ensure these are paid up before exchange
            of contracts, and usualy transfer proceeds from the sale to the buyer, the amount
            in arreas, otherwise the buyer is not going to buy if there are debts on the
            property.

Thats what usualy happens - approximately, so if it's done properly, the
            service charge and ground rent is brought up to date.

Our in house managing company ( Limited company ) own the freehold,
            and a licence to assign the current lease to a buyer has to be signed by
            the freeholder.
            Your situation may be different, as there is a managing company of sorts,
            the RTm, and you the freeholder.

But as above, solicitors "should" ensure service charge and ground rent is
            up to date before sale goes through.

R.a.M.
            Last edited by ram; 29-06-2011, 00:28 AM. Reason: page set to be read at 800x600 resolution, as this site don't know this resolution exists ( silly people ! )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Variation of lease
              by sgclacy
              A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
              13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
            • Variation of lease
              by scampicat
              I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
              25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
            • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
              by Loque
              999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
              12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
            • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
              by sgclacy
              Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
              13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
            • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
              by chris1544
              We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
              12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
            • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
              by Gordon999
              Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
              12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
            • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
              by Lorimer
              There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
              12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
            • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
              by Stew
              sounds like a major win
              12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
            • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
              by KingstonBee
              Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
              10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
            • Reply to Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
              by ChrisDennison
              Well but who’s to judge that intention? If I as the freeholder only want women, kids and one armed pirates in my block of flats and therefore put a restriction of use to that extent in the lease isn’t that my pretty unambiguous intention?

Well put. I have a property with...
              12-08-2020, 19:14 PM
            Working...
            X