Interest on sinking fund.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest on sinking fund.

I have a flat lease in a building divided up into 5 flats, managed by a reputable managing agents with a separate freeholder.

There is a large sinking fund of fifteen thousand pounds.

There is no mention in the accounts of any interest being earned on this money.

Is there any obligation on the managing agents to earn interest on this money? There is no mention of this in the lease.

Probably the agents don't receive any interest nowadays.

However your question raises an interesting point. With inflation at 4.5%, your sinking fund is actually reducing every year. I don't suppose the agents would be allowed to gamble on the stock market with the sinking fund.

I remember some years back someone suggested the sinking fund should be used to buy a flat in the block, and that flat let out for income. Anyone know if any blocks ever did that?

Comment

The law is that as well as holding funds under section 42 a trustee is under a duty to invest the trust funds. The investment must be
      in accordance with the terms of the trust,
      the Trustee Investments Act1961 as amended by the Trustee Act 2000 or
      The SI made under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 (which enables funds to be invested in a deposit account with certain banks or in a share or deposit account with a building society).

Trustees who want to take advantage of the wider
      powers of investment under the Trustee Investments Act 1961 should have, regard to the provisions of that Act, particularly with the obligation not to risk the principal.

In practice banks are offering interest at 0.5% or much lower I have heard of .001%
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post

I remember some years back someone suggested the sinking fund should be used to buy a flat in the block, and that flat let out for income. Anyone know if any blocks ever did that?
        Yes I have several times however advice was always that any loans secured were only for a small proportion of the equity and value. Even in a rising market borrowing more than 50% of the value to buy it puts the client at risk. If you bought in 2005 and borrowed say 80% you would very miserable right now, paying a loan off and not having an asset to borrow against to pay for major works.

Your accountant must also look at the tax implications particularly if it is to be held on trust, owned by the company especially if the company is made up of majority and not every flat owner, and that the articles authorise this activity, even in some cases amend the
        leases to allow loan repayments and interest.

In short it makes some sense but it is complicated to do properly.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Variation of lease
            by sgclacy
            A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
            13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
          • Variation of lease
            by scampicat
            I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
            25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
          • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
            by sgclacy
            Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
            13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
          • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
            by Loque
            999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
            12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
          • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
            by Gordon999
            Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
            12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
          • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
            by chris1544
            We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
            12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
          • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
            by Lorimer
            There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
            12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
          • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
            by KingstonBee
            Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
            10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
          • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
            by Stew
            sounds like a major win
            12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
          • Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
            by Boab
            Is there any reason why I cannot let a freehold flat on a two flat maisonette where there are two freeholders with a deed of covenant between the two to cover such issues as maintaining the property? There appears to be nothing in the covenant restricting renting my property out and it’s been done...
            10-08-2020, 06:12 AM
          Working...
          X