Interest on sinking fund.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest on sinking fund.

I have a flat lease in a building divided up into 5 flats, managed by a reputable managing agents with a separate freeholder.

There is a large sinking fund of fifteen thousand pounds.

There is no mention in the accounts of any interest being earned on this money.

Is there any obligation on the managing agents to earn interest on this money? There is no mention of this in the lease.

Probably the agents don't receive any interest nowadays.

However your question raises an interesting point. With inflation at 4.5%, your sinking fund is actually reducing every year. I don't suppose the agents would be allowed to gamble on the stock market with the sinking fund.

I remember some years back someone suggested the sinking fund should be used to buy a flat in the block, and that flat let out for income. Anyone know if any blocks ever did that?

Comment

The law is that as well as holding funds under section 42 a trustee is under a duty to invest the trust funds. The investment must be
      in accordance with the terms of the trust,
      the Trustee Investments Act1961 as amended by the Trustee Act 2000 or
      The SI made under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 (which enables funds to be invested in a deposit account with certain banks or in a share or deposit account with a building society).

Trustees who want to take advantage of the wider
      powers of investment under the Trustee Investments Act 1961 should have, regard to the provisions of that Act, particularly with the obligation not to risk the principal.

In practice banks are offering interest at 0.5% or much lower I have heard of .001%
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post

I remember some years back someone suggested the sinking fund should be used to buy a flat in the block, and that flat let out for income. Anyone know if any blocks ever did that?
        Yes I have several times however advice was always that any loans secured were only for a small proportion of the equity and value. Even in a rising market borrowing more than 50% of the value to buy it puts the client at risk. If you bought in 2005 and borrowed say 80% you would very miserable right now, paying a loan off and not having an asset to borrow against to pay for major works.

Your accountant must also look at the tax implications particularly if it is to be held on trust, owned by the company especially if the company is made up of majority and not every flat owner, and that the articles authorise this activity, even in some cases amend the
        leases to allow loan repayments and interest.

In short it makes some sense but it is complicated to do properly.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
            by sgclacy
            The statutory price assuming 85% relativity gives a result of £15,250 (Capitalization rate 6% - but that hardly matters, 5% for deferment rate - in line with Sportelli)

So you are down £5,000 - so as I suggested earlier everyone takes a haircut - now it would be £1650 each - it really...
            09-08-2020, 22:58 PM
          • Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
            by divadee
            We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
            04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
            by divadee
            We have learnt a bitter hard lesson about this. We will be doing this through our solicitor. We just thought we could rely on the managing agents, as they are company secretary's for the freehold company but live and learn.

Hopefully it will all be over one day, us moved out and onwards...
            09-08-2020, 20:16 PM
            by divadee
            S42 amount - 10,052
            lease length- 64 years
            property location - central south coast (where everyone is flocking too currently 😉)
            property value with a long lease - approx £160,000
            ground rent - £25 doubling every 25 years

Thank you for any help in advance....
            09-08-2020, 20:13 PM
          • Freeholder Roof Maintenance
            by Matt F
            Hello. My flat is rented out - it's a leasehold and managed by a management company on behalf of an investment company who are the freeholder. Recently, while undertaking some other works, the surveyor noticed that the roof was sagging. Further investigation with a structural engineer has revealed that...
            09-08-2020, 17:48 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
            by Anna1985
            If I am not mistaken you are to have a new roof every 25 years? So it is worth bearing it in mind....
            09-08-2020, 19:31 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
            by scot22
            Are owners working together ? If so commit to sharing the cost of disputing the charge.
            I think it essential to engage surveyor with leasehold knowledge to advise both on work and responsibility.
            It will cost so I suggest an escrow account to protect interests.
            09-08-2020, 18:25 PM
          • Building with FH owning commercial units and flats
            by Stacker
            Hi
            I have been reading through a lease for a property with a commercial shop on the ground floor and two flats above...the Flat leases pay ground rent but the service charge apportionment is unclear....it does not state a percentage and I cant see it is apportioned by area the only percentage...
            09-08-2020, 17:16 PM
          • Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
            by stokey83
            Hi,
            1) We shall soon acquire the management function of our block (RTMC) and do not intend to appoint a managing agent. What are the simple tools available online for managing company accounts / service charges, contractors, maintenance/repairs, building docs, etc?
            2) I am also interested...
            07-08-2020, 15:48 PM
          • Reply to Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
            by scot22
            The list is long because it is an onerous responsibility. My mantra was is everyone does a little no-one has to do a lot. Unfortunately everyone didn't.
            Remember people will move and new owners have different attitude. My experience is limited to one block but also voluntary organisations....
            09-08-2020, 12:50 PM
          Working...
          X