0% Service Charge / Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0% Service Charge / Insurance?

My situation is that there are currently 6 flats in the building.

One flat was originaly owned by the FH and his lease had him not contribute any service charge and no insurance. (The flat is now sold on).

My question is whether this is legal. I know the distribtion does not have to be equal and the FH can proportion at their will as long as it adds up to 100%, but can one flat be completely exempt from all costs?

Many thanks.

Two thoughts:

1. It's probably legal. Did your solicitor on purchase not alert you to this problem (because presumably yours suggests that the service charge apportionment is 20%)?
    2. You may, may, have some ability to take the matter to LVT to get the % changed, but I've no idea whether you would be successful.

Comment

Your starting point is the lease full wording on %'s. They often have a provision for amendment or alteration. if that is possible, then one route is to ask that it is varied, and if ignored or refused exercise arbitration rights under the lease.

Depending on the lease wording and the support of others you may have the right to apply to the LVT to amend under sections 35 to 37 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987.

Contact lease_advice.org for further info.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by LHolder View Post

My question is whether this is legal. I know the distribtion does not have to be equal and the FH can proportion at their will as long as it adds up to 100%, but can one flat be completely exempt from all costs?

Many thanks.
        Some leases don't state a %age of the service charge that is payable. Merely that it should be a fair proportion of the service charge, as determined by the landlord. If that is the case with your lease, then one flat being completely exempt would not be a fair proportion.

As advised earlier, it depends how your lease is worded.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
          Some leases don't state a %age of the service charge that is payable. Merely that it should be a fair proportion of the service charge, as determined by the landlord. If that is the case with your lease, then one flat being completely exempt would not be a fair proportion.

As advised earlier, it depends how your lease is worded.
          That is an example where the clauses are variable and can be determined at the LVT or by arbitration
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
            That is an example where the clauses are variable and can be determined at the LVT or by arbitration
            Thanks lha, that confirms what I was sort of fishing for.

Comment

Two of the leases (inc mine) have us pay 20%, the other 3 leases which are newer have them pay a share "which is to be calculated by a managing agent acting reasonably".

Is the exempt flat, therefore, within its rights?

Comment

Two of the leases (inc mine) have us pay 20%, the other 3 leases which are newer have them pay a share "which is to be calculated by a managing agent acting reasonably".

Is the exempt flat, therefore, within its rights?
                But what does it say exactly re 20%, is there a review clause? it may be elsewhere in the lease

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                  But what does it say exactly re 20%, is there a review clause? it may be elsewhere in the lease
                  No (apparent) review clause.

In principle, say that the leases are all worded correctly, is it possible legally to have one flat exempt from all charges?

Comment

No (apparent) review clause.

In principle, say that the leases are all worded correctly, is it possible legally to have one flat exempt from all charges?
                    Yes. The question is therefore can you change that, and for that, have a good look at the lease for a review clause. Otherwise you are looking at relying on section 35 to 37 as above.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Variation of lease
                      by scampicat
                      I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
                      25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
                    • Reply to Variation of lease
                      by sgclacy
                      A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
                      13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
                    • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                      by Loque
                      999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
                      12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
                    • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                      by sgclacy
                      Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
                      13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
                    • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                      by chris1544
                      We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
                      12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
                    • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                      by Gordon999
                      Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
                      12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
                    • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                      by Lorimer
                      There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
                      12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
                    • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                      by Stew
                      sounds like a major win
                      12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
                    • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                      by KingstonBee
                      Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
                      10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
                    • Reply to Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
                      by ChrisDennison
                      Well but who’s to judge that intention? If I as the freeholder only want women, kids and one armed pirates in my block of flats and therefore put a restriction of use to that extent in the lease isn’t that my pretty unambiguous intention?

Well put. I have a property with...
                      12-08-2020, 19:14 PM
                    Working...
                    X