'Long Leasehold System' Equivalents Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Long Leasehold System' Equivalents Abroad

I am interested in the 'Long Leasehold System' equivalents in countries abroad England and Wales. I am aware that the 'Long Leasehold System' is special to England and Wales, and that generally, foreigners are rather surprised when they find themselves unable to purchase a full freehold, but rather a long leasehold. However, as far as the equivalent systems in other countries are concerned, my knowledge is not extensive. Would anyone be able to provide me with details of the 'Long Leasehold' system equivalents within any countries abroad England and Wales (for example, the USA, China, France, Russia, Italy, etc.)? Under what systems does one buy property in countries abroad England and Wales (since the owner of a leasehold is usually unable to alter the exterior of his/her property, one can find many instances of rows of regimented old buildings on the streets of England and Wales, as opposed to irregular rows of new and expanding blocks of flats on streets in many part of the USA, for example - I am interested to discover whether or not the systems of property acquisition would explain the variation in the general appearances of buildings in different countries around the world). Thank you very much in advance for any information on the matter.

Google Search the wikipedia website which has information on condominiums .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condominium

Comment

Abroad it is "commonhold" so that you automatically have a share in the freehold. A situation that I feel needs to be changed here in the UK. Leasehold is outdated and feudal

Comment

Thank you very much for that information. However, could you please be slightly more specific? For example, could you provide me with a list of countries that use the 'condominium' and 'commonhold' property acquisition systems?

Comment

In theory we have commonhold already, not that I've ever seen one.

Comment

Originally posted by surreygirl View Post
            Abroad it is "commonhold" so that you automatically have a share in the freehold. A situation that I feel needs to be changed here in the UK. Leasehold is outdated and feudal
            Feudal, yes, outdated, probably not.

While clunky at times, a lot of that comes through the variety and uniqueness of leases. What ever system were to replace it, there still has to be a contractual relationship between the unit owner and the owner of the remainder.

In many respects my experience of condo in California was that as effective as it is for dealing with problem occupiers, it can be very easily criticized by handing too much power to the condo board, who have the power to vote you out and sell the unit under you. Just as it does here, it works best with honest hard working individuals and sensible occupiers.

For a different look at Australian strata title see here;
            http://www.27bslash6.com/strata.html

It is not new to the web but still makes me cry with laughter.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Commonhold property title for flats is common in Spain & Germany ( and probably in most parts of Europe ).

Copied from Wikipedia (Re - Strata Title ) :
              Other countries that have adopted the Australian system (or a similar variant) of apartment ownership include
              • Canada (British Columbia)
              • Singapore
              • South Africa
              • Indonesia
              • Malaysia
              • Fiji
              • The Philippines[1]
              • India
              • Dubai
              • Abu Dhabi (under draft as at 2010)
              Other countries have legislation based on similar principles but with different definitions and using different mechanisms in their administration.
              Strata Title Schemes are composed of individual lots and common property. Lots are either apartments, garages or storerooms and each is shown on the title as being owned by a Lot Owner. Common Property is defined as everything else on the parcel of land that is not comprised in a Lot, such as common stairwells, driveways, roofs, gardens and so on.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
                by sgclacy
                The statutory price assuming 85% relativity gives a result of £15,250 (Capitalization rate 6% - but that hardly matters, 5% for deferment rate - in line with Sportelli)

So you are down £5,000 - so as I suggested earlier everyone takes a haircut - now it would be £1650 each - it really...
                09-08-2020, 22:58 PM
              • Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
                by divadee
                We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
                04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
                by divadee
                We have learnt a bitter hard lesson about this. We will be doing this through our solicitor. We just thought we could rely on the managing agents, as they are company secretary's for the freehold company but live and learn.

Hopefully it will all be over one day, us moved out and onwards...
                09-08-2020, 20:16 PM
                by divadee
                S42 amount - 10,052
                lease length- 64 years
                property location - central south coast (where everyone is flocking too currently 😉)
                property value with a long lease - approx £160,000
                ground rent - £25 doubling every 25 years

Thank you for any help in advance....
                09-08-2020, 20:13 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                by Anna1985
                If I am not mistaken you are to have a new roof every 25 years? So it is worth bearing it in mind....
                09-08-2020, 19:31 PM
              • Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                by Matt F
                Hello. My flat is rented out - it's a leasehold and managed by a management company on behalf of an investment company who are the freeholder. Recently, while undertaking some other works, the surveyor noticed that the roof was sagging. Further investigation with a structural engineer has revealed that...
                09-08-2020, 17:48 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                by scot22
                Are owners working together ? If so commit to sharing the cost of disputing the charge.
                I think it essential to engage surveyor with leasehold knowledge to advise both on work and responsibility.
                It will cost so I suggest an escrow account to protect interests.
                09-08-2020, 18:25 PM
              • Building with FH owning commercial units and flats
                by Stacker
                Hi
                I have been reading through a lease for a property with a commercial shop on the ground floor and two flats above...the Flat leases pay ground rent but the service charge apportionment is unclear....it does not state a percentage and I cant see it is apportioned by area the only percentage...
                09-08-2020, 17:16 PM
              • Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
                by stokey83
                Hi,
                1) We shall soon acquire the management function of our block (RTMC) and do not intend to appoint a managing agent. What are the simple tools available online for managing company accounts / service charges, contractors, maintenance/repairs, building docs, etc?
                2) I am also interested...
                07-08-2020, 15:48 PM
              • Reply to Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
                by scot22
                The list is long because it is an onerous responsibility. My mantra was is everyone does a little no-one has to do a lot. Unfortunately everyone didn't.
                Remember people will move and new owners have different attitude. My experience is limited to one block but also voluntary organisations....
                09-08-2020, 12:50 PM
              Working...
              X